Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross without Cones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm cone challenged, but enjoy these tight mini-track events. Fastest time of the day and won my class for the season.

I ran this season in Prep class and earned the only perfect score for the season - winning all four events that I attended. They are changing the rules next year to bump Teslas up one class, putting me in Mod class, which is basically unlimited. When I mentioned that I might look into Hoosiers for next year, they said they would then change the rules to make 200TW required for Mod class. The anti-EV bias is real.

The drone footage perspective is awesome!!

How much faster is the Mod class currently?
Yes, I love the drones! The only competitor that beat me this year was Bill Thorp (by 7/10th) in his highly-modified Porsche on Hoosiers. He only made it to one event. Guy Drier won Mod class for the season driving his BMW and Porsche, but was always a couple seconds behind my times. No other Mod class drivers came close - it is a very small class, so an empty victory most times. Kind of like TTEV with NASA. What fun is first place if you're the only one out there? It was more satisfying to pass one single car to take 6th place in the Model 3 Challenge at Laguna Seca!

The conversations at these events are just kind of funny, they usually start with someone complaining that the Tesla is not fair as it is easier to drive. I acknowledge that they are right, that the Tesla is the better car - "Just think how much faster you could go if you had one!" They then generally talk about things like souls and sounds and walk away.

20221015_091404 (1).jpg

20230211_085747.jpg

Snapshot_3.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: Mash and Lindenwood
The conversations at these events are just kind of funny, they usually start with someone complaining that the Tesla is not fair as it is easier to drive. I acknowledge that they are right, that the Tesla is the better car - "Just think how much faster you could go if you had one!" They then generally talk about things like souls and sounds and walk away.
I did an HPDE last year and let some instructors drive my car. Both of them openly admitted they didn’t want to like it, but both left their sessions impressed. One of them, who had driven multiple race-prepped cars and exotics on the same course, said it was one of the most balanced and capable cars they’d driven on the course.