Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto wipers on in autopilot when it's not raining

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2022 Model 3 just had the windows tinted including the windshield. There was some condensation in the front camera area for a portion of a day that interfered with it, but it cleared up and seems to work fine. However, when I engage autopilot, the wipers come on. I understand the function is supposed to be active in autopilot, but it's been clear skies and sunny. I don't see any moisture in the camera unit or on any lens. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? This only started after windshield was tinted.

I love my new 2023 MYLR, don't get me wrong, however, the AP is almost unusable due to dry wiping when I have my cruise on. I'm avoiding using my AP for fear of causing damage to the windshield by constant dry wiping. The sensitivity of whatever sensor mechanism is in use is totally ridiculous. Anybody try to get service to make adjustments?
This is driving me insane, the dry wiping is pretty embarrassing lol

Upvote 0
Had the car for two years, the dry wipe problem never happened.

Bought and installed Bosch replacement wipers. It started happening.

After a month I returned the Bosch wipers and put back the original wipers. It stopped happening.

Bought wipers from Tesla.
I dont think the actual wipers have anything to do with the camera sensor. Other than the possibility it had some sort of coating coming off on the windshield?

Upvote 0
I dont think the actual wipers have anything to do with the camera sensor. Other than the possibility it had some sort of coating coming off on the windshield?
It could be the aftermarket ones do not contact the edge as well, so it may leave water or water marks on the camera area, which may result in what appears to be dry wipes (because the rest of the windshield would be completely dry, but the camera area might still have water or marks). That's why in comments previously I emphasize that the camera unit is not the same as the windshield (having either one appear clear does not necessarily mean the other one is clear also).

Upvote 0
My 2022 Model 3 just had the windows tinted including the windshield. There was some condensation in the front camera area for a portion of a day that interfered with it, but it cleared up and seems to work fine. However, when I engage autopilot, the wipers come on. I understand the function is supposed to be active in autopilot, but it's been clear skies and sunny. I don't see any moisture in the camera unit or on any lens. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? This only started after windshield was tinted.
Hi did you figure this out? I just had my front windshield tinted and now I’m having the same issue. People say the tints applied from the inside but I remember seeing condensation on the front camera as well but seems to have cleared up, however, when engaging autopilot at night the wipers come on.

Upvote 0
Hi did you figure this out? I just had my front windshield tinted and now I’m having the same issue. People say the tints applied from the inside but I remember seeing condensation on the front camera as well but seems to have cleared up, however, when engaging autopilot at night the wipers come on.
Do you mean it actually does a wipe? Tint is applied from inside, but the front camera is in the inside also. So during tinting it's possible for them to get the housing dirty or the solution they use may cause water marks even after the condensation has cleared.

Here's an example of someone removing the housing to clean the glass inside:

Upvote 0
This happened to me last week. I was on my way home from the airport and the car had been sitting a week and it was filthy due to the pollen. I wanted to use auto pilot because I had a 90 minute drive home and I was exhausted from traveling all day and the wipers wouldn't shut off.

That night, there was a software update so the car had rebooted and I washed it also. The wipers then went back to normal.

Upvote 0
Did you ever get this resolved? I have the same problem in my brand new Model Y Long Range and am seeking a solution.

Upvote 0
So I brought my car to the Tesla service dept in Tarrytown, NY today.
I explained that the wipers on "auto" mode have a mind of their own, go on in beautiful dry weather.
They told me they are aware of the problem, many people have come in with the same problem and there is nothing at the shop they can do.
They told me they are awaiting a software fix to the problem. I will have to live with that, a minor inconvenience.

Upvote 0
I have had the same problem with the wipers, but only at night. Believe I read somewhere that the street lights on California freeways trigger a sensor in the cameras causing the wipers to activate with autopilot.

That said, I had 3 night drives this week coming home from a Padres game and a work conference and the wipers didn‘t kick on once. So nice to use autopilot on the way home after a long day!

Upvote 0
FWIW (if anyone is keeping score) I have experienced the phantom wiping issue as well. There is no tint on the front window and it's a Model 3 2023 with about 8,000 miles on it. It happens at night time as well as during daylight. I live in one of the driest areas of the country as far as rainfall goes.

Upvote 0
As expected … :)

1682521804272.png

Upvote 0