Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have experience refusing delivery on a *LEASED* Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mgr1711

Sep 24, 2023
GA
Hi all, we’re planning to lease a new Model X directly from Tesla.

My question: do we have the right to refuse the vehicle (on delivery day) if it has flaws we find unacceptable?

I know we can refuse a purchased vehicle, but am specifically trying to understand whether we have refusal rights on a ***LEASED*** vehicle.

Anyone have experience with this specific situation and can give us some insight?

We’re located in NYC if that matters.

Thanks in advance - and sorry if this has already been answered somewhere; spent some time googling and couldn’t find an answer specific to vehicle leases.

Yeah - totally get that signing (aka accepting the vehicle) is the point of no return.

That said, wondering whether we do in fact have the contractual right to reject it and walk away if the car is defective.

We haven’t been able to find any explicit confirmation of that in Tesla’s lease docs. Trying to confirm before pulling the trigger.

Upvote 0
Yeah - totally get that signing (aka accepting the vehicle) is the point of no return.

That said, wondering whether we do in fact have the contractual right to reject it and walk away if the car is defective.

We haven’t been able to find any explicit confirmation of that in Tesla’s lease docs. Trying to confirm before pulling the trigger.
You will have to go through your states lemon law. Trust me its a headache. Inspect the car first, if they dont let you then leave. Its not that hard.

Upvote 0
I have a leased Tesla and did it about 2.5 years ago. I rejected the first two cars after VIN assignment and delivery date scheduled. I rejected them before even seeing them because the date given was a month earlier than the original estimated date for delivery and I was not ready to take the vehicle. Was told no problem and put back into the queue and was assigned another car two days later which I also rejected and then assigned another car two weeks later which we took because it was close enough to the date we wanted to take delivery. The car was great except a scuff on the plastic part of the rear bumper which they resolved on site before I signed and there was a small hole poked through the passenger door panel (looks like a tool slipped at the factory and punctured the material). That part had to be ordered and a mobile delivery person replaced it a week later.

Upvote 0