Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any opinions/advice on this 2015 70D? Fully loaded @44k

good buy or bad buy for new Tesla owner on a budget

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m taking this beauty for a test drive tomorrow a.m. and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or tips i should look out for as a first time Tesla buyer. 1 owner, no crashes, has all the premium packages $44.9k w/ 57k mi.

Personally i like the blue, its a throwback to my 2007 Subaru STi that i loved dearly. I’ll be trading in a 2010 infini Fx 45 in pretty good shape and will be paying probably around 30% down so it seems about as cheap as i can get into the Tesla game for now. Just curious as to what anyone thought about the pricing/miles/year,model that i should be aware of when checking it out. Again, this is my first time driving a Tesla, fully aware i’m Not getting all the bells and whistles of the newer versions (which are all awesome), but i’m Just wondering if ther should be anything i should be aware of or look out for when getting behind the wheel. Cheers
9702340B-4FB5-448D-92F0-DB95CE315690.jpeg
9702340B-4FB5-448D-92F0-DB95CE315690.jpeg

https://www.carxq.com/inventory/details/47461353

If the car fits ur driving style and budget go for it ..personally I would opt for a Model 3 RWD in that budget range ..the tech on the 70D is old as u note
Is there model 3’s in that budget range available? Also AWD is prob the most needed of all features. A question I asked in an earlier thread, is any of the software/hardware upgradable (such as installing the newer UI touchpad). I don’t have much use for ludicrous mode or anything like that, but do want a responsive touch screen. This particular car was made in late June which I believe has the 4g LTE connectivity. The other reason I like this over the Model 3 is the design. It’s a much slicker and stylish car than the 3. Obviously that’s just my opinion.

What additional features ,
On a RWD model 3, in the same 40-50k price range could I get? Id be very curious to know, again, I’m a Tesla noob here

asked in an earlier thread, is any of the software/hardware upgradable

Aside from LTE upgrade ..and adding a second onboard charger to the 70D not much else you can go with hardware ..software you will get updated but with older hardware you don’t get as much ..ie with recent V9 update AP1 and AP2 cars don’t get dash cam feature ..as far as I know there is no easy/cheap way to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2(note mcu1 seems faster after V9) ..I agree the S looks nicest of all Tesla’s I have owned 2 previously ;)..check out EV-CPO site ..the S is a heavy car and after owning 2 with an 85 battery I recommend a bigger battery or more efficient car (ie 3)

Reactions: TapHabit
You're not going to get close to the features on that S with a 3, even the cheapest one you can get right now is pushing 50K without Autopilot or AWD.

Nice looking car, just be aware that repair costs are not cheap and I'd guess that one is out of warranty unless the original owner got it extended. Unlike most cars you're stuck going direct to Tesla to get repair work so proximity to a service center is also good.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: TapHabit and P85_DA
You're not going to get close to the features on that S with a 3, even the cheapest one you can get right now is pushing 50K without Autopilot or AWD.

Nice looking car, just be aware that repair costs are not cheap and I'd guess that one is out of warranty unless the original owner got it extended. Unlike most cars you're stuck going direct to Tesla to get repair work so proximity to a service center is also good.
Thanks for your helpful reply. When eyeing the new 3’s (which are wonderful, just not the style I’m personally into) i noticed that to get AWD, AP, air suspension, wheels etc i’m literally doubling the cost of this used one. I’m going to test drive it today, and it does mention that an extended warranty is still available, so given the low cost of the vehicle with my trade in, maybe that’s an option that could protect me from bigger repair costs in the future.

Thanks for everyone’s input, again, this is a very educated and active forum and I appreciate all the info and just repeatedly telling me “use the search function” as with most forums. Cheers guys

Last edited:
the S is a heavy car and after owning 2 with an 85 battery I recommend a bigger battery or more efficient car (ie 3)

That was a question i asked in an earlier bread. With 57k miles, I’ve heard i should be fine for a few years (5-10), does that sound correct you? I’m sure by that point I will prob not drop the massive $ to change or upgrade the battery and will likely just buy whatever new model they’ll have out by then. As far as you mentioning efficiency, do you mean range? Charging? My very specific use for this car would be for my 100mi round trip commute to Sacramento for work everyday. (Carpool lane shaves an additional 30 min off the drive too :). On i-80, in between my home and work, we have a Tesla super charger station (right next to Starbucks and jersey mikes) and this car has free super charging for life. What efficiency gains/losses do you think i should be mindful of? (Btw 0-60 in 5.2 secs is more than plenty for me)

Reactions: P85_DA
For a 100mile round trip with superchargers available that is no issue ..in winter range suffers as the car heater is not the most efficient ...I believe the 70 was rated at ~200 miles new charged at 100% ..in practice you don’t want to charge 100% daily but rather to 90 ..in terms of upgrading battery on existing car unfortunately Tesla doesn’t offer that now ..on a previous S I drove to70k miles ..I had degradation of less than 3%

• Love
That's not a good price for a 70D. For comparison, here is an 85D with an asking price of $44K. I would not consider a 70D unless I got a crazy deal for it as 85Ds are now available for the mid to late 40s. 85D offers much better performance and greater range.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/749427792/overview/
That’s a great car and a great deal. Same price, so you’d be sacrificing all the options that the 70D i’m eyeing have (all the available options available in 2015) vs stock version with more miles but a bigger battery. Thanks for posting that, they seem very comparable. I’m a big fan of the upgraded sound, panoramic moonroof, wheels, air suspension, tech package and premium Seats. So putting those options aside, since the price is the same, what’s the detailed difference in the 85D vs the 70D? 30 or so extra miles in range? 0-60 in 5.2 instead of 5-6? Is there anything else?

I am getting a 2015 70D for 39.6k, but not fully upgraded. ITt's a CPO with a 4yr/50k warranty
that’s A great deal as far as what i’ve Seen so far? How many miles on it? Do you have a link? (Don’t worry, i wont snag it out, just want to peep the car and options it has. Same team :) I’m new to the Tesla gam and I’m trying to see all options.

what’s the detailed difference in the 85D vs the 70D? 30 or so

If I recall the 85D range diff was more like 50+miles over the 70 ...also the bigger batteries charge faster at a supercharger ...with a Tesla u will find ur self driving more and probably will appreciate the bigger battery ..if you do plan on keeping longer my opionion is search for a 85 or greater battery for the S as many come off lease there are some good deals to be found

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid
So i test drove it today and this car is a beast (my first time ever driving a Tesla, so take that with a grain of salt.) Almost as responsive as my stage 2 STi i used to own. As far as speed and handling go, this is plenty for my daily driver. The air suspension is also super useful for my situation, very very useful and (maybe underrated) feature. At least for the roads and conditions i drive in in NorCal. didn’t get a chance to mess with autopilot much on my test drive, but did i hear the dealer right when he said i have to have both hands on the wheel for it to work? Is that right? If so, what’s the point really? Not like I’m trying to get busy with my girl in the backseat while driving down the road or anything, but there’s 100 situations where it’s main use would be so i could take my hands of the wheel (even for a second or two) to just grab something out of my bag, or eat a bite of animal fries or something. Is that something that could be changed with a software update?

Last edited:
If I recall the 85D range diff was more like 50+miles over the 70 ...also the bigger batteries charge faster at a supercharger ...with a Tesla u will find ur self driving more and probably will appreciate the bigger battery ..if you do plan on keeping longer my opionion is search for a 85 or greater battery for the S as many come off lease there are some good deals to be found
Agreed. So far in my search, the only 85D’s I’ve seen either have quite a lot of miles and/or have very few options. Unless you jump up a solid 10k or so in pricing

I agree completely. OP is in the price range for an 85D and it will be just a matter of a few months to find one with the desired options.

My advice is to only look for an 85D with the options you want if your budget is in the mid 40s.

You will definitely appreciate the extra range.

Reactions: TapHabit and P85_DA
I would try to find an 85D. This is quoted from a Reddit forum "there's not much of a difference between the 85D and the 70D. Here are the areas where the 85D is better"

• 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds (.8 seconds faster than the 70D)

• 270 miles of range (vs 240 for the 70D)

• Top speed of 155 mph (vs 140 for the 70D)

• Slightly faster supercharging than the 70D
"But those 4 benefits will cost you an extra $10,000. It really depends on what you want out of the car, but I think most people would say that the 70D is a better deal for your money" - Some Reddit User.

I would try to find an 85D. This is quoted from a Reddit forum "there's not much of a difference between the 85D and the 70D. Here are the areas where the 85D is better"

• 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds (.8 seconds faster than the 70D)

• 270 miles of range (vs 240 for the 70D)

• Top speed of 155 mph (vs 140 for the 70D)

• Slightly faster supercharging than the 70D
"But those 4 benefits will cost you an extra $10,000. It really depends on what you want out of the car, but I think most people would say that the 70D is a better deal for your money" - Some Reddit User.

What you said is true if a 70D can be bought for the mid 30s. Otherwise for the mid 40s, an 85D is a much better value especially considering the OP's 70D was quoted at $44K when that is just about $3,000 away from an 85D.