Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any chance we'll get a bird's eye view for parking soon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not possible with current hardware. Maybe in future redesign or hardware improvements. They would have to add more/different cameras for it. Possible some day since most competition is rolling out the cool 3D views...

Not 100% true, sure it may not be the 3D view like with the new etron but my old Nissan and the 3 beforebit offered a birds eye view for parking with just 4 cameras the hardware is in the Tesla it’s just software.

The only caveat to that is that the placement of the camera in a Tesla may make it more difficult to stitch all images together especially with the front cameras being up top rather than in the grill “so to speak” but to be very honest I’d settle go just having the ability to see and use the camera we have today.

When you use the reverse camera you can go full screen for the sensor view wouldn’t be too difficult to toggle that to display either or all of the wing and b pillar cameras below the main rear view camera.

This is a crude implementation so I’m sure Tesla could do a much better job but don’t see how it’s not possible when somone like Nissan can do it with less hardware on a 15k car?

Not possible with current hardware. Maybe in future redesign or hardware improvements. They would have to add more/different cameras for it. Possible some day since most competition is rolling out the cool 3D views...

Tesla has enough hardware to do this. Lexus has this years ago with less cameras and ultrasound sensors. It is more a software stitching thing to get surround view.

• Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
Tesla has enough hardware to do this. Lexus has this years ago with less cameras and ultrasound sensors. It is more a software stitching thing to get surround view.
Somebody's mocked this up before with camera images from the Model X, they just don't cover the right areas to stitch together a top down view. It's close, but there are gaps along the sides of the car. Most camera systems that do this use downward facing cameras under the side view mirrors and the rear camera.

It's one of a decent list of mainstream features that I think should be present in Model S and Model X.

Reactions: Sonic_78
A front “grill / bumper” camera is usually needed to see the the entire front of the vehicle. All other cameras on the Tesla should be able to stitch an image 360 around and up to the car. A 360 view would be nice but personally I use side parking cameras on my other car more than the full 360. It helps me to not rub the curbs and lining up the parking spot side lines. I’d take side views as a compromise.

I made this image back in 2017 by stitching AP2 images together, including approximating front and rear blindspots - rear from side repeaters backwards should be quite OK if black/white/red is sufficient (plus blue on AP2.5)... the nose is the problem.

Of course a non-live system could be implemented and I'd take that. Personally I'd welcome any new views from the cameras... :)

ap2_blindspots-jpg.238093

Are the camera B&W? I heard the front camera was b&w and turns out it’s color

The seven AP2 cameras have always been black-white-red, which ends up looking like a 1950s movie as the red channel together with black and white does result in approximation of other colors as well. In a weird washed out kind of way.

AP2.5 added black-white-red-blue (but apparently not green) to the side markers - not sure about the other cameras. The dashcam does not look like full color, however, so at least one color channel is still expected to be missing.

Rear-view (the eighth camera) has always been full-color of course.

I’m so paranoid about door dings, I always pick end or corner spots and then try to park as close to the curb/wall as possible. So far, knock on wood, no curb rash, but man, I wish Tesla would add this feature. I wouldn’t care one bit if it were black and white or red, or any color in between! Ultrasound is nice, but I just don’t trust it as much as I do the around view monitor in my Leaf.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
A question about the cameras that people are saying are GGGR (gray/gray/gray/red). Are the first 3 channels really redundant or are they actually detecting different wavelengths that are just usually rendered as "gray" when showing them on a standard monitor because the source wavelengths aren't meaningful to a monitor/eyeball? I also see AnxietyRanger calling them BWRB and BWR above, so is GGGR even accurate?

I would suspect not. Tesla's vision is miles ahead. Is it technically possible, maybe. Will they put resources against it, no. Elon just tweeted on his vision of auto park summon and should be available "by the end of the year". So there is no need for this crude option.

Last edited: