Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon Echo Auto - not as seamless as I expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting this in case it helps anyone else.

I use Amazon Echo / Alexa in my home and thought it would be useful to have in the car, so I bought the Echo Auto for my Model Y. One big disappointment is that it's not very convenient to use because you must have Tesla's audio source set to Bluetooth in order to hear the Echo's response. So if I'm listening to Tesla's built-in Radio, Spotify, etc, and I want to ask Alexa something, I have to switch audio source to Bluetooth, ask my question, the switch back to whatever I was listening to before.

I guess I was hoping that I could just ask my question, and that Alexa would seamlessly interrupt whatever I was listening to, and then resume playing again without me needing to do anything. In hindsight, that was a foolish assumption. Fortunately the Echo Auto only cost me $15.

Posting this in case it helps anyone else.

I use Amazon Echo / Alexa in my home and thought it would be useful to have in the car, so I bought the Echo Auto for my Model Y. One big disappointment is that it's not very convenient to use because you must have Tesla's audio source set to Bluetooth in order to hear the Echo's response. So if I'm listening to Tesla's built-in Radio, Spotify, etc, and I want to ask Alexa something, I have to switch audio source to Bluetooth, ask my question, the switch back to whatever I was listening to before.

I guess I was hoping that I could just ask my question, and that Alexa would seamlessly interrupt whatever I was listening to, and then resume playing again without me needing to do anything. In hindsight, that was a foolish assumption. Fortunately the Echo Auto only cost me $15.
I finally managed to get Amazon Alexa Auto to work yesterday. I too paid $14.99.
I have the Alexa app on my iphone. After plugging in Alexa Auto to power, I selected add new device in the App.
Once it found my new device I asked Alexa to play WCBS Newsradio 880 out of NYC. It found it and when I selected bluetooth my phone connected to my car and the AM station then came thru the car speakers. :) I noticed recently that WABC Radio 770 is now on Tunin. I am hoping that other local news AM stations decide to add themselves to Tuinin which would solve the problem of access to AM Radio. I only intend to listen briefly perhaps while stopped charging my vehicle. I just downloaded 9711 songs from my music external 1Tb hard drive to a 128Gb jump drive that is now plugged in in my glove box utilizing a klutchtech hub that I ordered on Amazon. I don't think that I would be able to listen to all of them even on a future drive from NJ to Florida?
I am so freeking happy with my Model Y