Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 Easter Egg!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FTR - I love my Tesla, and what the company has accomplished, and the goals they are reaching for...

That said, why do so many people keep comparing Tesla's Navi (or other functions for that matter) to their old BMW, Audi, etc? The car operates differently, it's needs are different, the needs of it's customers are different, and their way of creating and doing business is different.

That said, I completely agree that the Navi is desperately missing a couple key features that it should have, especially seeing that the Navi screen even states that it's powered by Tesla, so they are not using a pre-baked system like most car manufacturers.

The number one feature that I believe it should have, because of how the car operates, is multiple waypoints. Every weekend I would drive hundreds of miles from my house or work (which is an hour from my house) to the hospital where my mom was, and then to my dad's house (another hour away), and then my sister's. The problem with single waypoints, is that the Navi would route me to the hospital with only 11% charge left, and I couldn't complete my trip to my dad's, and then my sister's where the charger was. If I could of put in the whole trip, the Navi could calculate and route appropriately for me. In my mind, this is a necessity for this car. Don't get me wrong, I love what they've done so far, but the fact that multiple different guys have given us free websites to do just this, and Tesla hasn't yet, is mind boggling.

I've had nav systems on all my cars for the last 15 years, Ford, Acura, Chevy and Cadillac. Tesla's Nav system is way better than all the rest. The voice recognition is great, it almost always finds the location I've requested. The only problems I have is it seems to route the car the way that will take the least energy, not get there fastest. Highway driving is hard on the battery milage. That is why it takes you off the highway onto side streets. I agree, it should give you the option of choosing routes.

The best thing about the Tesla NAV is It's on a frigging 17" Screen"!

It's gonna have to be really bad for me to go back to my phone screen for NAV.

• Disagree
Reactions: David29 and njxman
My 2016 Model S AP1 installed update 8.1 version 17.11.10 last night. After completion of the update, I tapped the "T" three times and the Easter Egg note pad did not appear. In addition, I thought this update would also allow adjustment of the head rests. Am I missing something??

All these people complaining, so i guess you all are going to sell your Teslas now and buy different make/models? Oh really? *crickets*
Why do people always present such ridiculous either/or arguments? You are very well aware that we can enjoy our cars but also be able to identify areas of improvement. Do you normally live your life in such a black/white, yes/no, either/or manner? I tend to doubt it.
I get this is a public forum and venting here is probably easier, but to throw a temper tantrum/hissy fit about something fun a car company can do (that no other car company ever does or will) invites pity.
It seems to be "tantrum/hissy fit" only if you disagree, otherwise it's "venting". That's on you.

Just one example, these so called navigation bugs has to do with the navigation vendor, tesla doesn't actually make navigation software. Take it up with them, every single OEM navigation system has problems, Tesla isn't unique. Why does every carmaker have navigation problems? Are they lazy and just install crap systems? or is there an underlying issue that none of them can control? hmm.
Actually Tesla has full control over how the navigation is integrated into the vehicle's software. It's Tesla who designed the navigation using both Google Maps and Garmin. The on-board maps are driven by Garmin, who offers all of the features people are asking for, and the connected maps are driven by Google. In some alternate universe where what you stated is true, it's fully within Tesla's control to change vendors or require its existing vendor to update its system.

You simply do not want to put any responsibility on Tesla. Blind devotion is never good.

After getting 8.1, and testing it out on an AP1 car I'm of the opinion that the Easter egg is the best part about it.

What I can't figure out is why they bothered showing information about your destination before improving the nav app to make it easier to find your destination.

On my phone in either Apple Maps or Google Maps I can type in Starbucks, and it immediately shows me a list where the closest ones are listed first.

What happens in the Tesla -> I type in Starbucks and it gives me an unsorted list where the first one is at least 10 miles away when there is a Starbucks about a mile from my house. I can't click on the Starbucks on the map that's closest to me.

Instead I have to use my phone to get the address of the Starbucks near me which kinda defeats this feature. My phone already tells me this information.

As far as I can tell the one I'm going to has to the destination of the nav to pull up this information.

So it's kinda useless.

The Easter Egg on the other hand is good fun that simply does what it does. I use it to draw little goofy things, and then I leave it full screen.

Reactions: Lightmatrix
I could be wrong, but I don't think your car has adjustable headrests. That software is for those with premium seats with the adjustable headrests.

Thanks for the hint. The note pad worked just fine once I tapped very rapidly.

Has anyone attempt adjustment of the headrests? I have first generation seats. When I pushed the buttons that adjust the lumbar support, the display did not offer a choice for headrest versus lumber adjustment.