Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 wheel alignment in South Yorkshire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just had a few suspension parts replaced by my local garage and so could do with the alignment checking. Tesla want £273 which seems rather pricey but a lot of local garages don't touch Teslas. Something about the lane departure system. Does that ring any bells with anyone?

So does anyone know anywhere not too far from Sheffield/Rotherham/Doncaster area that can do 4 wheel alignment on a 2016 MS? Or is this something that actually can only be done by Tesla?

Thanks

Any decent tyre shop can normally do a tyre alignment. There are no ADAS calibration or sensors involved afaik.
It's just that Teslas / EVs are sometimes too heavy for the two post lifts used by some garages.

Most kwick-fits are equipped with Hawkeye systems and do the check for free (Free Car Wheel Alignment - Avoid Tracking Issues), but you probably know the chain's reputation and it's probably better to find a local independent garage that has the hardware.

Just wanted to update this thread for anyone stumbling across it in the future. I ended up taking it to Tanvic Tyre and Service Centre in Worksop. I was grateful that anyone would take on the job and save me a substantial amount of money compared to Tesla. However, it did turn out to be a bit of a ballache.

Firstly, neither I nor the garage realised that in order to make any adjustments to the rear, the undertray needs removing apparently. My first appointment was 3pm on a Friday afternoon and they said they didn't have time to do it there and then. So that was a waste of booking an afternoon off work.

I left it with them 1 day the following week and it took them 2 hours. But when I collected it at the end of the day it was pulling to the right. That was annoying because they'd had it all day. If they had just taken it for a 2 minute test drive they would have spotted it wasn't right. Also just looking at the rears, I could tell they'd put a really aggressive amount of negative camber on, which I questioned. Initially they said they hadn't adjusted that and I was like it definitely has been adjusted. It looked like it was set up for a track day! That got me worried that the geometry they were working to wasn't right. So I left it with them to work on the next day and went home to look up the values on Tesla's website for this specific model. For my car, it's Table 3 on this page:

I emailed them the above page and asked them to make sure those were the values they were working to. When I collected it on the second day day it felt spot on. In fact, it handles a lot better and it's much more composed over bumps. My number 1 complaint of my car has always been the crashy ride. It's not a night and day difference but it's definitely improved. So I probably should have got this done a long time ago.

They also had taken some of the camber off the rears, although it's still more than it had before. I'll just have to keep a close eye on tyre wear to see if it is indeed too aggressive.

It cost me £120 but a lot of time going back and forth because I live 20 minutes away. Would I go there again? Well I think the next time it needs doing I'll take it to Tesla and see if I can ask their opinion on how it was set up by Tanvic. I'll keep the print out from the machine and if Tesla agree that's how it should have been set up, then yes I'd go back to Tanvic in the future. There's a few things that supposedly need doing with a Tesla Toolbox and service mode which obviously Tanvic can't do. I guess relates to autopilot.

I don't know how critical they are but again perhaps I could ask a technician for their opinion. For anyone wanting to do alignment with a non-Tesla garage, here's the checklist I would follow.

1) Make sure they allow 2 hours to do the job. They might not be aware of the need to remove the undertray (assuming that is true).
2) Search service.tesla.com and find the geometry for your car, print it off and give it them to use, rather than trust what their machine says.
3) Ask them to take it on a short test drive before wasting your time going back and forth collecting it.

Anyone else have any tips?

Reactions: M1tch