Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3 Reasons Not to get the White Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I planned to get the white interior, and once I drove it, I changed my mind immediately. That white strip is the equivalent of an LED strip shining right below your line of sight - was so incredibly distracting. Yes, I could wear polarized glasses, or tint the windows heavily, but I’m not always going to have my sunglasses, and I don’t want to invest in tinting

I have the white interior, and noticed the dash panel reflections on day #1. It's been two months, and I have never noticed it again. Like adjusting to a new pair of glasses, I suspect we tend to accommodate for things like this in real life rather quickly. Despite all of that, a matte finish would have been smarter.

Reactions: ejkcy25
My wife and I both love the white seats but knew when we ordered the car that we wanted the wood dash of our M3 (which has black seats). $175 more for the car was not a deal breaker for us. If I ever find a box big enough (the roof rack box is not btw) and feel motivated (unlikely) I will try to sell my white dash on eBay to recover some of that cost.

To get a wood dash (response for previous poster) contact your service center and get in touch with the parts people. They will order it for you.

I do not expect everyone to like the wood dash or to hate the white dash. This is just what worked for me. I do think that the white seats look better than the black and that if you are leaning towards the white do not let the dash board put you off. It is easily changed to something else.

Reactions: filotej
The white reflection from the dash bothers me too and window tint exacerbates it. I was thinking of getting the carbon fiber shell to go over the dash, but I just saw that Unplugged Performance has an Alcantara option. So, now I'm considering doing the full Alcantara upgrade through Unplugged.

If anyone is trying to get away from their white dash, I'm looking to pick one up. If you live remotely close to Maryland, we could do a clean swap of your white dash for my wood one. It's easy to do, doesn't require any tools, and should take 20 minutes at most. Totally free solution.

Reactions: PUPpY and ArtK
So I finally really took a good look and found the white reflection of the white dash trim piece everybody is taking about. It's there but I never see it because of how I sit in the vehicle. I'm pretty tall so I sit further back but I also like to be a sit higher in the vehicle. I really had to severely slouch hard to find the reflection.

I guess it will be YMMV based on how you sit. I never see it.

I love my black interior with the wood dash, but my girlfriend got an MSM with white. We haven't taken delivery yet (few days out) but it'll be interesting to see if there's a glare difference. Good to know that polarized sunglasses help. The white looks great, but any glare would bother me. I also love the wood detail.

The glare in the side mirror is worth it.

But guess what? Even with the wood dash there is still some glare of it in the side mirror especially if your windows are tinted.

Also no glare from the dash panel if you have proper sunglasses.

And eventually we'll rid of side mirrors and only rely on cameras so fook the side mirrors!

White interior is the best

Last week I took delivery of my red Model Y with the white interior. It was a big mistake, because the white interior has a white panel on the dash just below the AC vent. I believe the black interior has a woodgrain panel.

After some rainy weather, our Tampabay skies cleared, and I discovered that the reflection from the white panel causes not only a distraction, but particularly in the case of the driver's outside mirror, it reduced visibility.

I think I will have no choice but to purchase a black film kit and have the panel professionally covered. Tesla, Inc., if you are reading this, please bring this problem to the attention of your design department.

View attachment 589915 View attachment 589916 View attachment 589918
I have since ordered and received the hard shell faux carbon fiber dash cover from Amazon for $59, and while it still looks a bit more like plastic than real carbon fiber, the glare is substantially reduced. I just ordered the matching console cover. All in all, the plastic makes the interior somewhat like an inexpensive car interior, but considering the poor quality of the exterior fit and finish at delivery, the body is somewhat like an inexpensive car. The interior and exterior fit and finish of my 2016 was great after one minor adjustment, and the Model Y is a real disappointment in comparison.

I swapped out my white dash for a real carbon dash at delivery. brought it with me and they agreed to help install (although it is quite easy). I then sent the original white one back to RPM Tesla to get the core charge fee returned. The white seats with Matte Carbon are a great combo.

I love my white interior.
I do notice sometimes that the white glare shows up, but you get used to it and never see it after a while. In fact, I had to look twice at your picture to see what you were referring too. :)

Probably the worst glare for me is watching a show in entertainment mode with the morning sun coming up. The fix for that was a matte screen protector and it got rid of 90% of the glare.

I think that the white is not only visually more appealing than the black, but it is also significantly cooler in the summer months. My son as a M3 with black and sitting side by side, there has to be a 20-ish degree temperature difference between my car and his in the hot summer sun.

I wanted white, wife and 5yr old son said no....we have black....thanks for sharing....wife was right...is always right.
That is how it is in my house too.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 98
I have since ordered and received the hard shell faux carbon fiber dash cover from Amazon for $59, and while it still looks a bit more like plastic than real carbon fiber, the glare is substantially reduced. I just ordered the matching console cover. All in all, the plastic makes the interior somewhat like an inexpensive car interior, but considering the poor quality of the exterior fit and finish at delivery, the body is somewhat like an inexpensive car. The interior and exterior fit and finish of my 2016 was great after one minor adjustment, and the Model Y is a real disappointment in comparison.

PROBLEM SOLVED; Instead of the hard shell faux carbon fiber dash cover, I ordered a set of Topfit brand dash cover and console cover in matte piano black.
They installed in about 15 minutes total. The combined cost was $99.00 with Prime free shipping. It gives the white interior a whole new look, like Tesla should have done from the start. It also has a great tactile feel and doesn't show fingerprints. Anyone with a white interior should certainly look into doing this.
I would also suggest that it would be great for the black interior, and the black dash cover matches the rest of the dash look without the phone wood grain..