Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

2022 Tesla Model 3 Air Suspension for offroad and highway efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 M3LR that scrapes every time coming into my driveway due to the angle. I also live down a dirt road that has sizeable potholes. My Subaru outback has no problems but the model 3 has had two skid plates replaced already due to damage. A friend of mine suggested I install a spacer kit like the one from Mountain Pass on my current suspension but I'm worried it will effect efficiency and handling characteristics. Does anyone know of an aftermarket air suspension kit for the model 3 and if it rides at least 8.6inchs (same as my outback) when fully aired up? Or maybe 8inchs with a spacer lift? Can you fit bigger tires on the stock 18's with a lift? Not sure if I'm asking the right questions, thanks for the help!

New to TMC but I did try searching for this and found nothing related sorry if this has already been asked.

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki
I think you could probably fit +1 tires OEM but that would only give you 1/4-1/2” effective lift. I’m an avid off roader (land cruisers).

Air suspension completely sucks off road for many reasons.

I would look more down the road of a full suspension lift. For regular road driving if done right I can’t imagine up to 1” would make a meaningful difference in effecency or handling.

I’m in Alaska and have some very crappy roads.

• Disagree
Reactions: Gasaraki
Upvote 0
I was looking into the MPP lift kit for my model 3 as well. I think it's your best bet to gain extra clearance. I don't think you will notice a major impact on range. Although that depends on the type of commute/driving you do. If you are trying to squeeze out every last drop of range, then it might not be the right solution. That being said, if you add an air suspension kit, you are adding additional weight to the vehicle, so between the MPP kit and the extra weight it may even out. The only air suspension I have seen for the model 3 are airbags, Bag Riders Air Suspension and these I believe only lower the car from stock height. You can ask them if there is any lift. Follow @casper_model3 on instagram, he has some wild mods including the bags.

Upvote 0
I looked into this idea a couple years ago and actually wound up talking with Mountain Pass about it a little bit. The plan I had come up with was basically MPP Lift Kit + Bag Riders air suspension. So in the "lowered" state of the air suspension it would ride at normal ride height, then in the "normal" setting it would ride at the lifted +1.75" height of the MPP lift kit. MPP at the time said they believed the idea was sound in principal but didn't know of anyone who had done it. I didn't wind up pursuing the idea any further and remember part of the reason being concerns around the reliability of the air suspension and its ability to perform in cold weather for snowy mountain driving.

Reactions: rotarypower101
Upvote 1
I looked into this idea a couple years ago and actually wound up talking with Mountain Pass about it a little bit. The plan I had come up with was basically MPP Lift Kit + Bag Riders air suspension. So in the "lowered" state of the air suspension it would ride at normal ride height, then in the "normal" setting it would ride at the lifted +1.75" height of the MPP lift kit. MPP at the time said they believed the idea was sound in principal but didn't know of anyone who had done it. I didn't wind up pursuing the idea any further and remember part of the reason being concerns around the reliability of the air suspension and its ability to perform in cold weather for snowy mountain driving.
If anyone sees this in the future and finds a reasonable solution to quickly and easily adjustable ride height, would love a ping with details of options.

Would love to be able to Gain ride height impromptu around deep mountain snow that can come in unexpectedly, and the lack of snowplow timing being advantageous around drifts that can pile up Very quickly on wind swept nights.

Upvote 0
If anyone sees this in the future and finds a reasonable solution to quickly and easily adjustable ride height, would love a ping with details of options.

Would love to be able to Gain ride height impromptu around deep mountain snow that can come in unexpectedly, and the lack of snowplow timing being advantageous around drifts that can pile up Very quickly on wind swept nights.
If it is seasonal, perhaps height adjustable dampers with a lift kit might work? Not sure if any brand makes something like this however for Model 3. It seems all the height adjustable suspensions lower the height from factory. None seem to raise it. I guess there is much less demand for that.

Upvote 0
I think you could probably fit +1 tires OEM but that would only give you 1/4-1/2” effective lift. I’m an avid off roader (land cruisers).

Air suspension completely sucks off road for many reasons.

I would look more down the road of a full suspension lift. For regular road driving if done right I can’t imagine up to 1” would make a meaningful difference in effecency or handling.

I’m in Alaska and have some very crappy roads
+1 OEM tires will not give you a lift. The circumference is the same.

Upvote 0
If it is seasonal, perhaps height adjustable dampers with a lift kit might work? Not sure if any brand makes something like this however for Model 3. It seems all the height adjustable suspensions lower the height from factory. None seem to raise it. I guess there is much less demand for that.
KW V3 leveling coilovers will give you a range of height adjustments from almost +1/2” to -7/8” I think from memory. So you could use MPP lift kit plus coilovers although not sure the rear spring spacer would be compatible but that’s an easy adjustment I guess.

Upvote 0