Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Palomino Puma 29RKIS - Travel Trailer w/36 kWh off-grid power setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wk057

Former Tesla Tinkerer
Feb 23, 2014
X
Normally wouldn't post something like this here...

BUT... figure my handy work in this particular case might interest this crowd.

Selling a travel trailer I bought a few years ago as a place to crash while working on my new place. There was no power on site for quite a while, so setup some onboard off-grid stuff in the camper using 36 kWh of Tesla battery modules and an 8kW inverter. Worked great. I may have charged it from a Model S modified to do so... just don't tell Elon.

Easily runs both A/C units and everything else electrical in the thing without issue under normal use for days. Microwave, air fryer, whatever.

I've also actually moved it once with a Performance Model X... lol. I wouldn't recommend that for a real trip, though.

Anyway, I've no interest in traveling with an RV/camper, and no longer have a use for this... but I figure before I go ripping out the rather expensive off-grid stuff that works perfectly fine I'd post this here.

Listing on RV USA ---> https://www.rvusa.com/2020-palomino-puma-29rkis-travel-trailer-3620861

20230404_141547.jpg

8kW Outback Radian GS8048A (240V/120V)
6x 100-type Tesla Battery Modules (~36 kWh)
Automatic transfer switch (shore power vs off-grid)
Can charge at 6kW from shore or generator (can set current, and it will keep total load under the set point while charging the batteries)
Could add 48V off-grid solar using something like the Midnite Classic

$39k OBO w/off-grid stuff
$25k OBO wo/off-grid stuff

What does the inside look like

Yep, bunch of pics and stats and such at the main listing linked in the post and below.

@wk057 - Would this be eligible for a battery swap from a 100D in the future...? 😜

It's already got 100-type batteries, though. 😅

Pretty funny actually. Had quite a few confused people ask a lot of questions back when I had it parked in a place that didn't have electricity yet, but clearly the air conditioning was running, and there was no generator on or anything. 😂

Yep, bunch of pics and stats and such at the main listing linked in the post and below.

It's already got 100-type batteries, though. 😅

Pretty funny actually. Had quite a few confused people ask a lot of questions back when I had it parked in a place that didn't have electricity yet, but clearly the air conditioning was running, and there was no generator on or anything. 😂
How do you charge the batteries? At the supercharger?

How do you charge the batteries? At the supercharger?
They're built in to be as seamless as possible with the normal RV NEMA 14-50 hookup. Just plug the RV normally into shore power or a generator. Just has to be 240V in order to work for charging. If it's a 120V circuit it wont be able to charge (RV will work normally though if the 120V circuit can supply enough juice to power A/C and things).

When running/charging off a generator, can charge the batteries during the day one day, and then not have to worry about running the generator at night or for a few more days of normal use. Could probably stretch to a week or so if conservative on power (I'm usually not, admittedly).