Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
I don’t own an EV or Tesla, YET. I am here to ask questions and help myself determine concerns before I get an EV.
I think that the 2019 Model 3 is a great option for what I am looking for.
Since I am in no hurry to order and purchase a M3, I wanted to know if anyone thinks that Tesla will come out with a 2020 Tesla Model 3 OR IF the Model Y will “take place” of the 2020 M3, since the Model Y would be 2021.
I may be wrong and completely clueless, but I just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about this.
Also, have the 2017-2019 Model 3’s been very different? Is it physical changes or internal changes that set apart the annual models?
I hope this makes sense, thanks in advance to anyone!

Also, have the 2017-2019 Model 3’s been very different? Is it physical changes or internal changes that set apart the annual models?
I hope this makes sense, thanks in advance to anyone!

The others answered the lineup question.

Regarding differences, I got the 2019 one and my friend got the first ones in Canada.
The bottom line, the longer you wait, the better it gets. Except for the paint issue i guess, but you are now getting the pearl white for free which was. a $2000CAD upgrade.
Then there are little differences like door’s arm rest material, seat material, more drainage covers on the windshield, etc, nothing major.
If my friend didn’t point it out, I wouldn’t have noticed it.
But it seems with the included auto pilot, free pearl white option, things only get better. Like a smartphone.

However, one thing that was alarming was the change to your area’s subsidises.
Where I’m at, it used to be $14K subsidy, now down to $5K. That means for the same priceC my friend is enjoying longer range, web browsing, LTE and so on.

.... Is it physical changes or internal changes that set apart the annual models?....
Unlike all other car companies the Tesla model year is meaningless about changes. Changes are made dynamically at any time and not related in any way to the model year change over. There is no traditional stopping of the production line for 2 weeks to "officially" change over to the next model year.

Reactions: WilliamG
We currently have an Model X. Our future plans is to purchase one more Tesla somewhere in the future based on the stock benefits. I'm looking at something that's around 5 + years down the road. I'm excited to see what will then be available. Heck. May just get a CDL and purchase one of the Semis, add a sleeper and do some traveling. Put the bikes on the back of the truck. Point is, thinks look bright at Tesla as time goes on.

There are no "model years" for Teslas. Changes do not occur like they do with other cars. Changes occur throughout the year. There probably aren't any big changes expected for the Model 3 for a long time.

True, but the production year is encoded in the VIN, and that information seems to be treated as a model year for purposes of insurance, re-sale, etc. If a buyer intends to keep a car for a short period, getting a 2019 vs. a 2020 production Tesla could have significant impact on depreciation. If the buyer intends to keep the car for a long period, a one-year difference is less likely to be important for that, and in fact getting an earlier production year could save a little on insurance.

Then there are little differences like door’s arm rest material, seat material, more drainage covers on the windshield, etc, nothing major.
If my friend didn’t point it out, I wouldn’t have noticed it.
Is there anywhere to find a Change log with all the changes/improvements made over time? The only ones I was really aware of was:
  • Removal of obsidian black paint color
  • Removal of silver paint color
  • Pearl white becomes standard paint color
  • Black alcantara headliner changed to light material
  • More comfortable front seats
  • More comfortable rear seats- higher seat
What am I missing?

Is there anywhere to find a Change log with all the changes/improvements made over time? The only ones I was really aware of was:
What am I missing?
I think that's all the major/obvious items. I'm not aware of a specific changelog anywhere.

What am I missing?

I believe that the most significant change is the introduction of the HW 3 computer hardware earlier this year. However, if one purchases FSD and the car has the old hardware, it will be switched out to the new hardware for no additional charge at some point when it is necessary for the FSD software.

Reactions: MagnusMako
I believe that the most significant change is the introduction of the HW 3 computer hardware earlier this year. However, if one purchases FSD and the car has the old hardware, it will be switched out to the new hardware for no additional charge at some point when it is necessary for the FSD software.
Yea I'm not entirely sure why people make such a big deal with HW3 since you will get the hardware replacement anyways with FSD. I guess the time and hassle to do it is worth something though...

Used car shoppers are catching on the the Tesla program of continuous improvement. It is more important than the model year.

I was just getting a quote from Carvana to sell my X (trading up to a Raven) They circled back to me and asked me for the month of production.

I never noticed this before but Tesla actually does in fact acknowledge model years. That being said you still can't go on that info alone if you're looking for something specific.

Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 6.57.02 PM.png

Used car shoppers are catching on the the Tesla program of continuous improvement. It is more important than the model year.

I was just getting a quote from Carvana to sell my X (trading up to a Raven) They circled back to me and asked me for the month of production.

I wonder if they're catching on the the 3 trims ( like how they determine the difference b/t SR+ and SR? )

Anyone take their 3 to car-max? I'm a little nervous about them test driving it just for pricing info

I wonder if they're catching on the the 3 trims ( like how they determine the difference b/t SR+ and SR? )

Anyone take their 3 to car-max? I'm a little nervous about them test driving it just for pricing info
I took my first production 3 to carmax. They didn't even drive it, just looked it over and gave me an offer. Their offer was 2k less than Carvana but 8k more than Tesla lol. I ended up selling private party.