Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.20.12 Unlocked additional range up to a "long range plus"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several months ago in February Elon tweeted that “All S/X cars made in recent months have actually been above stated EPA range. Will be unlocked soon for free via software update.” "Long Range" cars manufactured January 2020 and after would receive an update to unlock the extra range thereby turning those cars into "Long Range Plus" models. Per the door sticker my car was manufactured in January 2020 and after this update I can now charge up to 393 miles. I didn't even realize it until just now when I was browsing through the Stats app and saw the "Battery Health" graph!
IMG_9F83110F0A9F-1.jpeg
IMG_1170.png

So is this is just a software calculation of max range by the BMS or can the S/X actually drive further?

This is, as they say, the 64K question.

If stats reads the nominal pack capacity, and it has increased, then I would say yes, the car can drive further.

Keep in mind, that for most folks, highway range is what matters, not city or combined. Highway consumption on my 5 YO MS is only 1/2% more than the latest MS. 307vs306 Wh/mi.

My calcs indicate that newest MS has a highway range of 359 miles, compared to my current 266.

I would be curious if the new pack capacity after the update is north of 102KwH.

It does not have to be magic to increase the HV pack capacity. They have already decreased the buffer. If they changed the min VPC from the current 3.0 volts, to say 2.8 volts, that would have a measurable effect on capacity.

Only Tesla and the BMS knows...

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
Most folks will never get 402 either, unless the drive around the city for like all day and mimic the EPA test cycle.

Highway consumption is what matters, and I doubt it is decreased by more than a percent or so. New EPA sticker due out next week.

The real value of this change is bragging rights. If you run into a Taycan owner, you can tell them you got twice the range for half the price, and about the same overall performance.

Reactions: .FP.
I received my 2/2020 built MS LR in March. It arrived charging a maximum of 372miles. I was told at pickup over the next couple days several updates to the car would take place. one of them was a software update that would show "Long Range Plus" and the next 100% charge would be to 392 miles. That was 220.8.? I recently did a 100% charge with 2020.20.12 and it is still 392 miles range. The new 2020.24 update was just announced and I don't have that yet but Tesla announced the latest 100% to 402 would be coming in the next update to software. This tells me it is just a recalculation of range we already have in the hardware.

I don't know anyone who has actually tested the full range to these distances. Seems pretty silly to me because who would try to drive until their battery was dead? What's important to me is how much range do I get in the usable portion of the battery? That is probably the range with 25 miles reserve if the next Supercharger is less than 25 miles away. Otherwise more than 25 miles. Even more important to me is how long will it take to add 370miles of driving distance at a supercharger. Ideally, no longer than it took to fill my gas car for 370 miles of range on a road trip. That is the more important goal to me which is probably being throttled by the Supercharger capacity and the tapering management in the car. And this is only really important on long road trips where I may drive for 12 or more hours a day.

A potential Tesla buyer was asking me about this not long ago and after explaining how EV is different from a gas car, they realized the range is no longer a big issue even for road trips. It's like worrying over whether your car has a 12 gallon gas tank or a 14 gallon gas tank. Rate of recharging rather than range becomes more the concern on a road trip. Tesla owners love to make excuses for recharging time claiming they need to eat every 90 minutes or walk the dog, or pee. Maybe so, but that doesn't apply to everyone. Besides, highway rest stops don't have Superchargers and many superchargers are located far from the highway exits. That needs to change in the future with fast DC charging at every gas station. Buy gas, diesel, food, electricity and we're all happy. :)

Reactions: ra88it
I received my 2/2020 built MS LR in March. It arrived charging a maximum of 372miles. I was told at pickup over the next couple days several updates to the car would take place. one of them was a software update that would show "Long Range Plus" and the next 100% charge would be to 392 miles. That was 220.8.? I recently did a 100% charge with 2020.20.12 and it is still 392 miles range. The new 2020.24 update was just announced and I don't have that yet but Tesla announced the latest 100% to 402 would be coming in the next update to software. This tells me it is just a recalculation of range we already have in the hardware.

I don't know anyone who has actually tested the full range to these distances. Seems pretty silly to me because who would try to drive until their battery was dead? What's important to me is how much range do I get in the usable portion of the battery? That is probably the range with 25 miles reserve if the next Supercharger is less than 25 miles away. Otherwise more than 25 miles. Even more important to me is how long will it take to add 370miles of driving distance at a supercharger. Ideally, no longer than it took to fill my gas car for 370 miles of range on a road trip. That is the more important goal to me which is probably being throttled by the Supercharger capacity and the tapering management in the car. And this is only really important on long road trips where I may drive for 12 or more hours a day.

A potential Tesla buyer was asking me about this not long ago and after explaining how EV is different from a gas car, they realized the range is no longer a big issue even for road trips. It's like worrying over whether your car has a 12 gallon gas tank or a 14 gallon gas tank. Rate of recharging rather than range becomes more the concern on a road trip. Tesla owners love to make excuses for recharging time claiming they need to eat every 90 minutes or walk the dog, or pee. Maybe so, but that doesn't apply to everyone. Besides, highway rest stops don't have Superchargers and many superchargers are located far from the highway exits. That needs to change in the future with fast DC charging at every gas station. Buy gas, diesel, food, electricity and we're all happy. :)

Valid points. I'd like to see chargers on every corner gas station as well.

If you bought a MS this year, consider the 10 percent or so of additional Rated Range as reverse degradation. This feature will make your car more desirable than last year's cars.

Planning a search for my next unicorn "CPO" in 2023...Jan 2020 MS LR+, off of lease, single owner, never driven in the rain, orig tires, <30k miles, red with cream interior. FUSC, charges to 400 miles RR.

Hey, I can dream, right?

• Funny
Reactions: r1200gs4ok
If I get the life I expect from my MS LR+ it will likely be the last car I own. I could be in my mid 80's by the time the battery is worn out. I owned a Toyota Camry Hybrid and after 11 years the Hybrid battery was shot. I got practically no trade-in value for it.

I don't lease vehicles anymore. I did for my business when it made sense as a business expense. But personally, I like paying cash. If I planned to upgrade every 3 years, maybe a lease would make more sense. Really haven't looked into it from that angle. In retirement, living off SS, I just don't buy any luxury item unless I raise the cash first to pay for it. I also don't like paying interest on borrowed money but sometimes it makes sense and necessary, just not for luxury you can't afford to pay cash for.

Several months ago in February Elon tweeted that “All S/X cars made in recent months have actually been above stated EPA range. Will be unlocked soon for free via software update.” "Long Range" cars manufactured January 2020 and after would receive an update to unlock the extra range thereby turning those cars into "Long Range Plus" models. Per the door sticker my car was manufactured in January 2020 and after this update I can now charge up to 393 miles. I didn't even realize it until just now when I was browsing through the Stats app and saw the "Battery Health" graph!View attachment 551869View attachment 551870
Thanks for sharing.