Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 map unnecessary infilling Idaho I-84 instead of completing nearby routes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just Tesla's refusal to open up their fast DC charging standard is inexcusable; [...] My main problem with Tesla's charging has been more about a lack of innovation such as in the area of making public its DC charging standard for competitor charging platforms
You've repeated this twice now, and it's not true. Go research this. Musk has had this offer open for years. No other auto maker is interested in taking it. There are a couple of obvious reasons. They certainly wouldn't like their own customers staring at the competitor's logo on the stations while they charge. But mostly it is arrogance that they don't want to admit that Tesla has something they need.

This came up in another thread, so it's good to bump it up again. I brought this up in the fall of 2016 and wrote to Tesla about it when they updated their upcoming 2017 Supercharger map to add extra in-between Superchargers along Interstate 84, and I contacted Tesla to tell them that what was really needed instead was to finish connecting these routes on US 95 and US 26 through eastern Oregon. To be fair, we're here three years later, and they still haven't done those extra I-84 ones they put on the map for 2017, so...I guess there is still time for them to change their minds. :rolleyes:

With 500,000 Model 3's on the way, you may be singing a different tune in two years.
That comment hasn't aged well. We're almost at three years later, and still no congestion at the existing Superchargers.

Another factor might be the ease of finding property owners that want the superchargers. It may be that in more rural towns most businesses (who would provide the parking lots) don't think having a supercharger would benefit them.
This is another strange aspect to this. Usually that has been the main catalyst that could get things like this going. Tesla has sometimes been slow when they have to go spend time to look for locations, and try to beg businesses to host. I get that--it's resource intensive when they are strapped for manpower. But when they get direct hosting offers from the businesses themselves, things get moving quickly. Several weeks ago, some Tesla owners were talking with the owners of Rome Station restaurant and told them about the Supercharger program, and the owners contacted Tesla to offer their property to host a Supercharger on highway 95. It has been several weeks now, and Tesla won't even respond to them. I don't get what's up with Tesla's reluctance in this area.

I did send a message to Tesla to ask them to respond to Rome Station's offer, but they wouldn't respond to me either.

Reactions: IdaX