Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20” rims indestructible

Am I dead wrong and about to face the consequences

• No, you’re fine, rim dents overblown

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Yes, earmark 4K for new wheels

Votes: 12 70.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
brahs,,

I just want to comment on, in contrast to what everyone can’t stop complaining about, the amazing durability I have experienced from my 20” rims and Michelin pilot sports. So many times I have blasted over potholes and speed bump like road imperfections with 3 digits on the speedometer, sometimes while braking or regenning, and every time I have been prepared for a big old flat spot and a 2k repair bill and been pleasantly surprised. I used to dodge potholes like a madman, weaving violently to save my precious babies, but after a few violent cherry busting collisions, I just stopped caring. Haven’t been able to rupture them yet in a month of driving with 2,500 miles. My neighborhood is a veritable ****ing dirt bike trail and my rims are perfect

I would never have bought the Performance version with the 20 inch wheels here in the northeast.

As another possible added benefit for the smaller wheels /tires note -
In Europe there is a factory hitch available for the model 3 BUT not for the Model 3 with 20 inch wheels.

I’d love a factory bike rack or very lightweight trailer for occasional use.

This is sort of thing isn't helpful as it's all anecdotal. The vast majority have had no issues I'm sure. Is the rate of failure higher than other wheels? Probably. Are the odds still fairly low? Probably.

I've been two myself on a massive pothole.

The risk/reward calculation is completely different for those of us living or traveling in areas with roads with frequent potholes vs those living in areas with great roads.
Potholes were crazy bad in Kansas this past year. Worst I've seen living anywhere in the temperate US. If I go aftermarket I'll probably do 19" but not sure I regret the 20"s per se.

brahs,,

I just want to comment on, in contrast to what everyone can’t stop complaining about, the amazing durability I have experienced from my 20” rims and Michelin pilot sports. So many times I have blasted over potholes and speed bump like road imperfections with 3 digits on the speedometer, sometimes while braking or regenning, and every time I have been prepared for a big old flat spot and a 2k repair bill and been pleasantly surprised. I used to dodge potholes like a madman, weaving violently to save my precious babies, but after a few violent cherry busting collisions, I just stopped caring. Haven’t been able to rupture them yet in a month of driving with 2,500 miles. My neighborhood is a veritable ****ing dirt bike trail and my rims are perfect

Well, you've done it now! Tomorrow you will have 4 flats and 2 bent rims from a pebble. Don't speak of which is working