Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Tesla - Shocked at process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone wants lots of conversations and constant reassurances, but they want these at no cost. It is a tremendous cost to Tesla for after the order chit chat and updates. Of course, Tesla wants to keep these to a minimum to reduce their unproductive costs, while the buyer wants someone there to pick up the phone every time they feel the need.
If the buyer had to pay for every communication with Tesla after the order, they also would be incentivized to keep them to a minimum as well.

No. It's a requirement when you don't deliver on time.

The problem and the solution are even more simple. Do not announce the new refresh/model until it's ready to enter production. For example, Tim Cook does not hold a gathering in the Steve Jobs theater to announce the new iPhone until they are ready for pre-orders. He doesn't announce it months in advance.

Jumping the gun on a product announcement risks two big things happening:
'
1. You create an Osbourne effect with your outgoing product line causing sales to stop cold while awaiting the new model.

2. (probably worse) - you burn through your existing product line but some kind of production delay causes you to have nothing to replace it with thereby creating an opportunity for a competitor to swoop in. Tesla is fortunate that there are no true LR Model S competitors on the market right now.

A good and bad thing for Tesla is the fact that they are a hot company right now and a lot of eyes are on them. Every move is scrutinized heavily and everything Elon says is taken as fact.

Bottom line, the Model S refresh should not have been announced until the test mule process was complete and the cars were ready to hit the assembly line. They announced the refresh and are now running test mules. Anything issue found while testing is going to delay the production run even more.

Reactions: eipi10 and Tigers
Everyone wants lots of conversations and constant reassurances, but they want these at no cost. It is a tremendous cost to Tesla for after the order chit chat and updates. Of course, Tesla wants to keep these to a minimum to reduce their unproductive costs, while the buyer wants someone there to pick up the phone every time they feel the need.
If the buyer had to pay for every communication with Tesla after the order, they also would be incentivized to keep them to a minimum as well.
What complete rubbish.

Almost 10 weeks ago, Musk said the new cars were in production (apparently not in any meaningful way), deliveries would start in February (ha) and there would be an update with details on the refresh in a couple of weeks (so far, crickets). When you go 0 for 3 like that, maybe it's time to up your game a bit. Most folks don't consider "what does it do" and "when will it get here" to be "chit chat" when plopping down $100K.

This is my 3rd Tesla, so I get this is part of the "Tesla experience" but blindly making excuses for obviously crappy behavior does no one any good.

I am still amazed a large company like Tesla has no customer support. I also am waiting for my 12/25/20 order to be delivered.
competition from others will probably force Tesla’s hand, but I would not buy a Lucid during its first year deliveries, as I feel they will need to work out their own issues.
if Mercedes comes out with a comparably priced ev I would Jump onboard immediately. They will also have issues but at least I know that they have the best Service of any car company I have owned. Loaners, professional service advisers and usually will pick up your car from home and give you a loaner.
But for the time being I’m waiting for my LR S. But Come end of June, I will stop waiting and by a MB traditional engine vehicle.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
I am still amazed a large company like Tesla has no customer support. I also am waiting for my 12/25/20 order to be delivered.
competition from others will probably force Tesla’s hand, but I would not buy a Lucid during its first year deliveries, as I feel they will need to work out their own issues.
if Mercedes comes out with a comparably priced ev I would Jump onboard immediately. They will also have issues but at least I know that they have the best Service of any car company I have owned. Loaners, professional service advisers and usually will pick up your car from home and give you a loaner.
But for the time being I’m waiting for my LR S. But Come end of June, I will stop waiting and by a MB traditional engine vehicle.
You assume that Mercedes dealerships (that are used to dealing 100% with ICE), will automatically be just as good with EV support? Good luck.