Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

12v question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yea it should work but I was reading what someone else in here said, and that was that the car wouldn’t open or go into drive even when jump starting

Hopefully this is near impossible to happen with the 16v lithium when it eventually dies
It may not work if the lithium battery is defective. For these cars, jump starting is generally required because the main battery was run down to cut-off and stops charging the small one. The small battery has very little energy compared to the 12V lead acid one, so it discharges pretty quickly. You can only jump start it for about 20 seconds, to get a small charge in it that will let you open the car and connect a charger.

If the 16V battery is bad, you may need to have the car towed. The good news is that the 16V battery *should* give you better warning for degradation than the lead acid one.

If the 16V battery is bad, you may need to have the car towed. The good news is that the 16V battery *should* give you better warning for degradation than the lead acid one.

About that: I notice that there exist aftermarket 12v lithium batteries for older Model Ys. I've arranged to purchase an early 2022 Model Y - think I should just go ahead and upgrade the lead-acid battery as soon as I bring it home?

About that: I notice that there exist aftermarket 12v lithium batteries for older Model Ys. I've arranged to purchase an early 2022 Model Y - think I should just go ahead and upgrade the lead-acid battery as soon as I bring it home?
I personally would not “upgrade” a lead acid setup to lithium. It might solve some problems but at the cost of others. There are threads here pages and pages long about compatibility problems. They maybe again sorted out, but the seem to keep coming back as firmware is updated.

Plus cheaper to just proactively replace the 12v every 2 years if one is really worried about it.