Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

120 versus 240 charging versus battery life

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S that I have charged mostly at 120 V. I'm approaching 90,000 miles with little or no loss in battery capacity. I'm wondering if charging slower helped. For example would the slower flow of electrons result in less side reactions the degrade the battery?

All home charging is slow charging, to the car. There isnt any difference in relation to battery degradation in charging at 120 vs charging at 240v home charging speeds. There would be a difference in supercharging vs home charging.

All charging at 120v has done was keep your car awake while its charging for a longer period of time, thus costing you more money in energy costs than you might have paid otherwise. Whether that difference in cost would cover whatever the cost to install 240v charging where you are, is another matter.

I am noticing a weird battery charging pattern since I started using mobile charger with 240v/15-50amp outlet.

2023 Model S, six months old. About 5k miles. Mostly charged at home with mobile charger 120v/12amp, most of the time up to 55/60% (except for three times at supercharger, once after I bought the car and two times couple weeks ago on a long trip).

Two days ago I got the 240v/15-50amp outlet installed. Charged the car to 60% (still using a mobile charger and not wall charger, it charged at 32 amp) and kept it plugged in. The miles shown after completing the charging was was 243 miles. After 3 or 4 hours I saw the range gone down to 235 miles. I thought that was weird but ignored it (I used to see a mile to 2 drop few hours after completing the charging but not this much). After 30 min or so, it went down to 233.

Last night again charged to 60% (must have finished charging at 6 am, based on the schedule). At 7 am it showed 58%. Not sure what is going on. When I checked the app first time in the morning it said it had added 11 kwh but when I checked again in 30 min or so it said it had added 10 kwh.

When I do not charge the car but just keep plugged in, I do not see range drop but I do see this pattern after the car is charged. Wonder what it is. May be BMS is not calculating the battery percentage correctly, or somehow battery is losing the charge? It did not do this when I was charging with 120v/12 amp. Not sure if its just a coincidence. I am going to go back to charging with 110 v and see if this happens. But wanted to see if anyone on the forum might know what may be going on.

I am noticing a weird battery charging pattern since I started using mobile charger with 240v/15-50amp outlet.

2023 Model S, six months old. About 5k miles. Mostly charged at home with mobile charger 120v/12amp, most of the time up to 55/60% (except for three times at supercharger, once after I bought the car and two times couple weeks ago on a long trip).

Two days ago I got the 240v/15-50amp outlet installed. Charged the car to 60% (still using a mobile charger and not wall charger, it charged at 32 amp) and kept it plugged in. The miles shown after completing the charging was was 243 miles. After 3 or 4 hours I saw the range gone down to 235 miles. I thought that was weird but ignored it (I used to see a mile to 2 drop few hours after completing the charging but not this much). After 30 min or so, it went down to 233.

Last night again charged to 60% (must have finished charging at 6 am, based on the schedule). At 7 am it showed 58%. Not sure what is going on. When I checked the app first time in the morning it said it had added 11 kwh but when I checked again in 30 min or so it said it had added 10 kwh.

When I do not charge the car but just keep plugged in, I do not see range drop but I do see this pattern after the car is charged. Wonder what it is. May be BMS is not calculating the battery percentage correctly, or somehow battery is losing the charge? It did not do this when I was charging with 120v/12 amp. Not sure if its just a coincidence. I am going to go back to charging with 110 v and see if this happens. But wanted to see if anyone on the forum might know what may be going on.
This is what I was referring to. Car finished charging to 60% at around 6 am. And between 6 am and 9 am it lost 9 miles of range while sleeping. Is it just a calculation variation or battery is being used/drained by something?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 5.13.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 5.13.43 PM.png
    200.8 KB · Views: 5