Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

04.08.2024 - Solar output... Ooops, I forgot :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this afternoon I was looking at my solar performance (So happy with the TeslaPowerwall and solar setup!)
In the morning I was thinking that today would be a great day to monitor production since the forecast was for absolutely cloudless skies and mild temperatures. Getting closer to the sun's peak angle in the sky as well...

I opened the app and saw a fairly large, seemingly anomalous dip in production in the morning and was immediately frustrated as to the why. I asked Julie who had been out on the deck in the morning if there had been any cloudcover whatso ever and she confirmed that no, absolutely clear skies.

I walked over to the Powerwall, wondering if the inverter had momentarily cut out, or if there was some overload or wiring situation that I would have to maddeningly track down. I played over scenarios in my head of being on the phone with Tesla to explain the occurrence and what my responses might be when they told me it was somehow something I had done...

I mean, what could possible cause such a sharp downward spike in production, with a subsequent apparently normal return to operation on a bright, clear day except a component fault, wiring problem, a rogue passing cloud, or an...

Eclipse

Julie's probably been wondering why I've been slapping my forehead and sighing to myself all afternoon LoL!

In my defense, here in Northern California we only had about a 20%-25% partial eclipse and it wasn't really noticeable at all as far as brightness change... and I was buried in work and not paying attention :) Solar nerds, watch out for them eclipses! LoL!

I guess moon lensing isn't a thing....

1000011421.jpg

What's mine?

11:00 was >2.4 and 11:10 was ~2.4, just looking at these screenshots. ~2.4 seems like the dip (note the rounding was different, so the first ones added to 2.5, but the second ones added to 2.4, but both absolute numbers rounded to 2.4, so the latter was probably less). Units in Sumerian Time local to PDT standard, and thousands of Watts.

11dip.jpeg
1110dip.jpeg

Last edited: