Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Live traffic updates and start-up screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've started toying with Waze. Would be interesting to have something like that built into the car. I suspect with the SDK, it could be built. That would be very cool (always on, always contributing to the network, always letting you know about accidents, police, traffic, construction, etc.)

I am "Waze Royalty" and a Waze map administrator for the greater Boston area and for a chunk of coastal Maine. Good program, as much for avoiding speeding tickets as for routing. It seems to use a more creative and responsive routing algorithm than other programs, but it has a strong bias for getting you onto big highways.

I am "Waze Royalty" and a Waze map administrator for the greater Boston area and for a chunk of coastal Maine. Good program, as much for avoiding speeding tickets as for routing. It seems to use a more creative and responsive routing algorithm than other programs, but it has a strong bias for getting you onto big highways.

I like Waze, too.

Last night, Waze popped up a window saying "I found a better route!" and automatically rerouted me. It sent me down a very weird back road, and I thought "WTF? never again!"... until it dumped me out at the front of a very long traffic jam, which saved me a very long waiting in line experience. I gave up spending $20 a year on MotionX Drive in favor of Waze.

In the past, I've passed the suggestion to add the ability to report and display others' reported events (accidents, traffic, speed enforcement, etc), speed limits, weather and traffic conditions to Tesla.

-andy, Waze Knight :)

I like Waze, too.

Last night, Waze popped up a window saying "I found a better route!" and automatically rerouted me. It sent me down a very weird back road, and I thought "WTF? never again!"... until it dumped me out at the front of a very long traffic jam, which saved me a very long waiting in line experience. I gave up spending $20 a year on MotionX Drive in favor of Waze.

In the past, I've passed the suggestion to add the ability to report and display others' reported events (accidents, traffic, speed enforcement, etc), speed limits, weather and traffic conditions to Tesla.

-andy, Waze Knight :)

I've been a Motion X fan for a couple years now. Me thinks it's time to check out this Waze craze.

Startupscreen when starting the car

I was wondering; last week leaving my home and turning up the highway i bumped into a massive traffic-jam. If only i knew this when getting into my car i would have done something else or choose another route.
So my question is wether we can setup a startupscreen so i can immediatly see where the trafficjams are?

Highly doubt it for a number of reasons. How would it know where you're going? Precaching that information while the car is off just so you see it at boot doesn't seem to be worth the effort. Id say, if it's a concern, pull up the maps app as soon as the screen loads and check your route ahead.

I'd guess the way to do that would be to put in your route for the next morning before you shut the car down for the evening. Then when it comes on it will get the information. (Assuming that it saves state while it's off, which I'm pretty sure it will).

I don't believe you can "schedule" trips they way you can schedule appointments in the Calendar app. (daily, every Monday, etc.). It might be a nice add-on for a future software update though.

I would like to be able to 'push' my route from my desktop computer to the Model S since it's easier to type on a keyboard for me than on a screen. You could pick your route and then send to your Model S. When you got into your car it would ask 'Would you like to start your route to X destination?"

FWIW, the Waze app guesses where you're going based on where you are and time of day. If it's a weekday morning and I'm at home, it guesses I want to drive to work and sets itself up to do that with one "OK" button-push. It's even figured out that on Friday afternoons, I'm heading for Maine instead of home. Of course, this can all be overridden by the user.

I guess my point is that it's reasonable to ask the driver to at least open up the navigation app. From there, the app might be smart enough to suggest where you're going and to route you based on current traffic conditions.

I like @dsm363's idea about "pushing" a route. Sometimes, esp. longer journeys, I have a specific route I want to use that is tricky to enter. I'd like to be able to save that route as a personal Google Map and then load that map in the Model S.

I like @dsm363's idea about "pushing" a route. Sometimes, esp. longer journeys, I have a specific route I want to use that is tricky to enter. I'd like to be able to save that route as a personal Google Map and then load that map in the Model S.

Especially if you've spent 45 minutes getting the route just right.

Looks like road traffic was just added to google maps in the firmware update
any firmware updates yet?| Tesla Motors

Yes, saw this in action during my test drive in the perf grey at Santana Row. Works like the Google maps web page and the current iPhone Maps app.

One quirk - which the Tesla rep with me couldn't figure out either - is that the map app is in the "North Up" mode alone and couldn't be toggled to "Car Heading Up" (or whatever it should be called). I'm more comfy using the latter in nav systems.

One quirk - which the Tesla rep with me couldn't figure out either - is that the map app is in the "North Up" mode alone and couldn't be toggled to "Car Heading Up" (or whatever it should be called). I'm more comfy using the latter in nav systems.

Because the map system is based on Google Maps, I wouldn't expect it to have a car orientation setting the way a dedicated car nav system does. (I'm a North side up kind of person so it won't bother me).

I believe one of the test drive videos included the co-pilot stating that the map on the 17" was always north up, while the little navigation inset to the left of the speedo is track up. There was (as there always is when somebody expresses disappointment) a mention that the software can be updated.

Personally, I prefer track up in all instances, and I hope this will be a later option.

Because the map system is based on Google Maps, I wouldn't expect it to have a car orientation setting the way a dedicated car nav system does. (I'm a North side up kind of person so it won't bother me).

Google maps on my Android has this feature. It's called compass mode.

If I know the area and would just be looking at traffic I prefer North up. If I'm getting turn by turn I prefer compass mode.

Highly doubt it for a number of reasons. How would it know where you're going? Precaching that information while the car is off just so you see it at boot doesn't seem to be worth the effort. Id say, if it's a concern, pull up the maps app as soon as the screen loads and check your route ahead.

This is obviously not a car only application, but with the proper SDK hooks, upon booting, your model S could very well ask you : " Hello Dave, Where do you want to go today ?" (just like Microsoft used to)
To which you would respond with your destination. This audio segment is then uploaded to the server which does speaker independent voice recognition and then performs a route calculation from your
location and maps current traffic data onto that route. It comes back to you and responds : "I am afraid I can't let you do that, Dave", :)

Seriously, all the technology is there waiting ...

Where is the SDK, already ?