Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

uploading attached images

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
I've had to change the way attached images are uploaded. We did a kludge before that made some things work ok while it broke other things.

If you upload an image from your computer or from a URL and have "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" selected, you will see a small thumbnail of the image (assuming your editor is in WYSIWYG mode).

While still in the editor, double click on the image and you will get some options. If you would like to see that image displayed larger, change size from thumbnail to medium, large, or full size.

Currently thumbnail = 150px, medium = 300px, and large = 640px

Most likely you will want "large" which is set to the size we've used in recent years. After saving your post, clicking on the image will still bring you to a full sized version.

So this adds an extra step to what you're probably used to, but this is actually the way it's supposed to work. It can be a little clunky, but will hopefully work most of the time.

The kludge that we had before was that the thumbnail size to 640px and while that worked for threads, it screws up a bunch of other things that I'm trying to get working now.

slide_246745_1427356_free.gif

Not sure that anyone ever really noticed this thread, but some days ago I made another change to how images are uploaded. So instead of having to go through the extra steps I listed above, your attached images are just posted inline as before with no problem. The difference is that instead of a thumbnail, your image is just uploaded full size.

The browsers I've tested (latest versions of Chrome and Firefox on Win XP and Windows 7) resize the images dynamically with the size of the browser window. I haven't heard anyone complain about pics being too big yet. But you never know. The upside is that user albums (which no one seems to use yet) and group albums now display thumbnails and images properly. The album interface isn't great, but at least it's no longer broken.

No problem.

Firefox. I click upload, select file from my computer and then it uploads the file. Before or as it finishes there is a red exclamation mark beside the file name. I hover over that and that is where I see the error details... I tried uploading several different files.... What is the size limit on an upload btw?

I can't reproduce the error. Can you provide more detail? Hover over what? What browser are you using?

View attachment 22022

- - - Updated - - -

I'm guessing it was an issue with file size... It seems to work fine now.

I usually CROP and always reduce file size to around 200 to 300 kb. The quality looks 'the same' and I *never* get the dreaded upside down photo regardless of camera angle when taking that shot. Also never QUOTE a previously posted image unless it is from many pages back. Reduces clutter. FWIW.
--

Last edited:
I usually CROP and always reduce file size to around 200 to 300 mb. The quality looks 'the same' and I *never* get the dreaded upside down photo regardless of camera angle when taking that shot. Also never QUOTE a previously posted image unless it is from many pages back. Reduces clutter. FWIW.
--
Thanks for that. (kB I assume you mean) Btw, the upside down photo thing tends to be from pics taken with an iPhone. There's some orientation metadata in the file that many websites/browsers don't recognize.

Is there some reason these pictures have to be sideways?

Sideways photos are a phone to thread issue. I'm taking the pictures as standard iPhone pictures. If they are showing up sideways it's because as I post them iPhone to TMC servers have different orientations I.D.'s. I know it's frustrating to view... I guess you'll just have to turn your monitor sideways. If there is a way to correct sideways representations .... Let me know.. I've tried rotating my iPhone to no avail.....

Last edited by a moderator: