Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S remote diagnostics - over satellite?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read today from a Tesla email that remote diagnostics and battery monitoring will be done over satellite on the Model S.
This is news to me - I've always heard that this was done over a terrestrial cellular network data connection (3G or EDGE) on the Roadster.
I have been told before that this would be the same on Model S.
I would think that satellite would not make sense - satellite communication is really bad in garages.
I am beginning to think the rep's information is incorrect.

Has there been a change? Has anyone else heard news like this?

-Andy

Sounds like someone got confused or it was a slip of the tongue/keyboard.

Tesla has pulled the logs on my Roadster while it was parked in my garage, but I have zero satellite radio coverage in there and I can't imagine that there is anything more powerful than that built into my car.

Last edited:
I read today from a Tesla email that remote diagnostics and battery monitoring will be done over satellite on the Model S.
This is news to me - I've always heard that this was done over a terrestrial cellular network data connection (3G or EDGE) on the Roadster.
I have been told before that this would be the same on Model S.
I would think that satellite would not make sense - satellite communication is really bad in garages.
I am beginning to think the rep's information is incorrect.

Has there been a change? Has anyone else heard news like this?

-Andy

This is not true, the Model S cannot send transmissions via satellite, all ping communications will be done via cell connection. It seems as Tesla grows, the quality of information that is being passed to customers has been deteriorating.