Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deferring my order until forum members start to take delivery of their Sig's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Discoducky

P100DL, 2021 M3, 4 CT reservations and counting
Supporting Member
Dec 25, 2011
My mountain
First off, I can't believe I'm writing this...
Secondly, I'm very well read on the forums, have a background in computer HW/SW and production ramp for integrated systems so there's that... but I'm going to defer until Sig deliveries actually start. And by that I mean people that are on the forums get their cars and post reviews. I don't need much, but there are a bit too many unknowns at this point to move to "non-refundable". I have until 9/13 to not delay my order and intend to take all of that time and more if necessary.

Outside of the build quality, missing SW features and technical issues for production vehicles; Biggest unknowns at this point are the superchargers and quite frankly I'm worried about these being vaporware. My $71K Model S (60kWh) will be that much more valuable to me with a robust supercharger structure.

While I hate the look of the Leaf and the utter ridiculous complexity of the Volt, they are in effect, back on the table. I'm strongly considering the Leaf on lease if the EPA mileage does indeed go up to ~90. Then getting a Model X.

Disclosure: I'm still long on TSLA, but worried about this as well if actual deliveries don't start soon.

Rolo - Discoducky's here all the time so he knows that. There are a few here that should get theirs soon so you'll probably be good for your 9/13 deadline.

What set you off?

The only thing that will prevent the Supercharger Network from not happening would be Tesla not happening. It's going to be a tight squeeze but Elon's confident that they'll make it and he's a very honest and upfront guy. He's also gone out of his way to make his promises come true. That makes me not worried about the supercharger network.

Secondly, I'm very well read on the forums, have a background in computer HW/SW and production ramp for integrated systems so there's that... but I'm going to defer until Sig deliveries actually start. And by that I mean people that are on the forums get their cars and post reviews. I don't need much, but there are a bit too many unknowns at this point to move to "non-refundable". I have until 9/13 to not delay my order and intend to take all of that time and more if necessary.

Outside of the build quality, missing SW features and technical issues for production vehicles; Biggest unknowns at this point are the superchargers and quite frankly I'm worried about these being vaporware. My $71K Model S (60kWh) will be that much more valuable to me with a robust supercharger structure.

While I hate the look of the Leaf and the utter ridiculous complexity of the Volt, they are in effect, back on the table. I'm strongly considering the Leaf on lease if the EPA mileage does indeed go up to ~90. Then getting a Model X.

Disclosure: I'm still long on TSLA, but worried about this as well if actual deliveries don't start soon.

I too am waiting (not on the charging front, more on what is going to make it into production) your concerns are valid. It depends on where you live. If you can get away with using an adapter for the public charging stations in your area, i wouldn't fret too much. If you get the twin chargers, maybe you can get other tesla owners to

a) open up their garages that have the HPC

b)convince the diner to install a super charger (even with a super charge people will still be there for 45 minutes, they will buy something to eat)

c)Donate HPC to an establishment

I'm more than convinced Tesla will have one or 2 at ever tesla store, beyond that is still a question mark.

Several Sigs have been delivered, a total of 74 Model S have been delivered up til now, just no one on the forum yet has one.

It is rather difficult for me to believe that 74 cars have been delivered. I wouldn't really call the Get Amped cars deliveries.

We know that the Founder cars were delivered as well as a few low number Sigs, but we have members on this forum with numbers of 14, 26, 32, 38 and 48. Out of these only ggr with Sig# 29 (formerly SSL#32) had a firm date for today and # 38 has a possible date of Sept 8-10.

Where are all these deliveries?

*ggr* is probably driving his home right about now.

I promise that when my wife is driving ours home, I'll post from the console. Unfortunately not today.

- - - Updated - - -

I promise that when my wife is driving ours home, I'll post from the console. Unfortunately not today.

A bit more detail seems deserved. Got a phone call last Wednesday, there's some sort of supply problem. Butch (SSL#40, VIN S...37) got the same kind of call; he was scheduled today too. I was owed an update today, but haven't heard anything. We've had to completely cancel the roadtrip at this time, and will probably get delivery at home, but we don't have a replacement date yet.

- - - Updated - - -

A bit more detail seems deserved. Got a phone call last Wednesday, there's some sort of supply problem. Butch (SSL#40, VIN S...37) got the same kind of call; he was scheduled today too. I was owed an update today, but haven't heard anything. We've had to completely cancel the roadtrip at this time, and will probably get delivery at home, but we don't have a replacement date yet.

LOL, they'll love that update in the investors thread :) /sarcasm

Thanks GGR!
Sorry to hear about the delay. Very happy to hear you found out earlier in the week. My biggest fear when I first saw the news on another thread was that they didn't tell you until today. That would have shaken my confidence in Tesla.
Once again, I very much appreciate you posting details!

It is rather difficult for me to believe that 74 cars have been delivered. I wouldn't really call the Get Amped cars deliveries.

We know that the Founder cars were delivered as well as a few low number Sigs, but we have members on this forum with numbers of 14, 26, 32, 38 and 48. Out of these only ggr with Sig# 29 (formerly SSL#32) had a firm date for today and # 38 has a possible date of Sept 8-10.

Where are all these deliveries?

My gut is telling me some kind of a NDA or embargo of some sort. It just seems like we'd be hearing more from owners, but we are only hearing from owners lending their cars to the press/media. I'm not saying that TM is doing this, but I would consider it if in their position. Getting to the delivery date and then pushing it out with a new date worries me (sorry ggr)

Disco,

In a week we should know what is going on with the ramp. All the Sig’s need to be delivered in October (30 day delivery notice = September for all Sig calls... a few days away) if the 5000K goal is going to be hit by year-end.

So hang in there … it won’t be long before we know what is going on!

Disco,

In a week we should know what is going on with the ramp. All the Sig’s need to be delivered in October (30 day delivery notice = September for all Sig calls... a few days away) if the 5000K goal is going to be hit by year-end.

I'll hold you to that prediction! :wink:

:smile:Wow I really feel sorry for all the worry you guys are going thru! My only worry and doubt about getting my Tesla was how to transport it from Miami to DC after I bought it, or should I say the bank bought it. TM came through and got it to me..... Not on time, a few weeks later than I thought. When it came I drove to DC and just stared at it for a few minutes............... WHAT HAVE I DONE!!! Shoot there was NO CUP HOLDER!!!! I turned it on to the soft sound of a chime, the slight hmmm of something behind me and a panel of indicator lights that made me sure the thing was working. I cautiously nudged it out onto the DC streets for my drive back to Annapolis.

I got my first car in 1965..... I have NEVER grinned for 45 minutes while driving any other car I have had. When you guys get into your Model S you will feel what we roadster owners have enjoyed for years. The sheer joy of just driving will overwhelm you. Knowing you have a car that really is better than anything else around you....... And the fun of knowing you can leave the "top of the line" cars in the dust .... If you want. Range anxiety will vaporize into planning and looking at driving in a new light.

I see you are worried, so was I. All my worries disappeared one block from Tesla DC. Looking back is easy but if I knew what I now know about TM and was told I had to wait another six months for my car ........ I would gladly wait!

May you all get the thrill of owning and enjoying a Tesla like I have.

Disco,

Joe, this has been discussed in numerous other places, but Tesla doesn't need to deliver all Sigs by the end of October in order to still hit 5000 by year end, and there is no commitment to call or communicate 30 days from expected delivery. Especially given the slowdown in production of late, it could be mid-September before anyone on these forums gets their car, and I wouldn't expect a call more than a week or two before expected delivery.

Disco,
I rarely comment much anymore because the responses I get tend to be pretty cold, and I'd rather not come here on my leisure time to argue with people. But, I consider myself a very straight-shooter on things, fair and unbiased, weighing the facts and data until reaching a conclusion. Which can then change if the data presented warrants it.

I think your decision to defer is perfectly reasonable. I don't think the big holdup with the S is 'chrome plating on door handles'. In fact, I think it's pretty silly to think that door handles are causing such disruption throughout an entire production line.

Elon can talk about Superchargers and hyperloops all he wants but that's just a distraction. The Model S, delivered into the hot little hands of customers, is all that really matters at this point. Frankly speaking, any time Elon is not talking about S deliveries, I consider him spinning a distraction.

As my man Carl Sagan once said, the more we want something to be true, the more skeptical of it we should be. This is a lot of money to give to a company that isn't delivering and isn't communicating [clearly]. That doesn't mean they won't deliver, or that the car won't be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but why proceed with something that gives you a funny feeling in your gut? You have no obligation to give them your money.

Ever since pulling back my reservation in January, I've sort of opened my eyes to the things I previously glossed over. Things like the horrible Tesla forums. The mistakes(?) on their website. The spin from Elon. For me at least, I take these things as a representation of the company. If Tesla announces a Q&A session with Franz, then I expect it to happen (that was way back in the spring of last year) If they have an online forum, then I expect it to be professionally built and run. I expect their customer reps to all be on the same page. I don't make excuses for them just because I love the idea of their car and can't wait to own one (I'm not saying you do that, but I've seen A LOT of that here from other posters).

I'm sure this will be unloved by most, but at least from my perspective I don't see any problem at all with your deferring. I would have no problem doing the same thing if I still had a reservation.

Also let me add, I hope Tesla makes it, fixes their issues and delivers you the baddest car on the planet!

....I don't think the big holdup with the S is 'chrome plating on door handles'. In fact, I think it's pretty silly to think that door handles are causing such disruption throughout an entire production line.

Just for the record, there has been different speculation on the recent delay in a couple of deliveries. The only direct word we had is that there was a supply issue, but no-one knows what the issue was. I refer to the delay in the past tense because of other feedback that deliveries are starting again.

Just for the record, there has been different speculation on the recent delay in a couple of deliveries. The only direct word we had is that there was a supply issue, but no-one knows what the issue was. I refer to the delay in the past tense because of other feedback that deliveries are starting again.

There's been one cryptic post about resumption, but nobody else has indicated updated delivery dates. I'll believe it when I hear about actual deliveries made (with pictures!). And I'm still a little peeved that my sales rep would not return a call or an email until I called him on it in stronger terms (he did apologize later, but that 's not an excuse). Many have said that tesla has been the most open and responsive auto company ever, but my experience is quite mixed in that regard, particularly since the compan has been sitting on my res deposit for getting close to three years. I, for one, would like to be better informed at this point with a committed mvpa.