Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corn ethanol backlash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never did think that using a food product to create an alternative fuel would be a good idea. Now using the biomass that we already generate to create fuels is a good idea if it can be done without releasing tons of carbon in the conversion process.

I know they have the technology and are currently building a plant in the Orlando, FL area that can convert just about any biomass waste into biodiesel without a lot of energy input into the system. We need more solutions like that and algae growth to make into fuels, not growing crops from scratch.

Ethanol takes a first big hit to the solarplexes.
California... found that traditional distilling methods used in the Midwest, accounting for the bulk of U.S. supplies, emit the most carbon over a lifecycle measured from production to combustion.
In the race to make ethanol, little regard has been paid to emissions of the distillery itself. A handful of nearly 200 plants are fired by coal, the most carbon-heavy fossil fuel, while many others have been slow to convert to biomass.

But as the ethanol industry argues its case, natural gas and battery-powered cars will likely make inroads in replacing petroleum, ...

Last edited:
Another effect of ethanol was the dissolving of built in fiberglass fuel tanks in boats. This clogged fuel systems, ruined engines, and cost thousands to cut out and replace the failing tanks. Also, water absorption of ethanol leading to phase separation causing corrosion in metal fuel tanks. Great stuff.

May be more efficient?
Ethanol from plants can fill up drivers' gas tanks, but people could drive 80 percent farther if we converted those crops into electricity
I'd say there is no "may" about it.
Besides cost considerations, they also did not consider the pollution caused by the toxic metals used in battery manufacturing
What toxic metals are used in lithium battery manufacturing, and do they get released into the environment? I'll be there is more toxic metal, (lead), in the single starting battery of any ICE, including ethanol powered, than in a whole EV pack of lithium.

If anyone else has trouble making the link work as I did this one seems to be better http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_12319686?source=rss

Last edited:
Don't forget about Martin's slides over here:
Focus Green « Tesla Founders Blog
slide24.gif

Resurrecting an old thread...

Good to see that the U.S. has, after thirty years, eliminated the direct federal subsidy for ethanol. NYTimes article here.

Lest we think that the federal government isn't tilting the field towards ethanol still, however, the EPA also released its new Renewable Fuels Standards, which requires 15.2 billion gallons of the nation's fuels to be renewable -- primarily corn-based ethanol. So, ethanol is still getting a boost that it wouldn't in a unrestricted marketplace.