Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Soflauthor's center console insert

What materials are you using for your CCI (besides leather & is the leather treated cleanly?) Are they 'environmentally friendly' ? Have you considered using Obeche /Lacewood /CF materials to match the interiors? I still plan to do a Lacewood center piece for myself (much different than yours)
    - Joules 12/1/12 - Classic P85 - Grey&Lace #369 Zextraterrestials S(tory)

Model S, Sig#422
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Zextraterrestrial View Post
    What materials are you using for your CCI (besides leather & is the leather treated cleanly?) Are they 'environmentally friendly' ? Have you considered using Obeche /Lacewood /CF materials to match the interiors? I still plan to do a Lacewood center piece for myself (much different than yours)
    The deck, sides, and base of the CCI are fabricated with flex-ply and the internal structural members are built using laser-cut and CNC-milled MDF. We are using plastic and aluminum for the cupholders, the phone caddie, and the tambour door and other selected materials for minor elements of the design. We have decided to use a modern synthetic leather material for the sides of the CCI because (1) it's visually indistinguishable from the real thing and (2) it is significantly less expensive, thereby helping us to sell the CCI at a cost that is affordable for all owners.

We seriously considered using Obece/Lacewood for deck finishes, but have encountering problems with color matching. We will offer CF and other finishes (as yet to be determined) as extra cost options as well as choice in side upholstery colors as extra cost options.

The standard CCI model will come with black synthetic leather sides and a black deck. This matches the aesthetic that TM developed for the center channel area, regardless of the interior options chosen. It works very well with Lacewood (what I have in my Model S) and should not clash in any way with the other finishes because the CCI sits quite low in the cabin, out of visual range of the other trim.

We hope to post in-car pics of the alpha fabricated version of the CCI in about 3 weeks (we're slightly behind our fabrication schedule but ahead of schedule on installation testing using our prototypes). We continue to plan for a late 4Q12 product release.
    Silver Sig (VIN # 184) with the first installed Center Console Insert (CCI)

Model S, Sig#422
    Items for Sale
    I’ve provided an abbreviated version of our new CCI Newsletter that has been sent to everyone who signed up for the CCI waiting list. If you’d like to get the newsletter, please visit www.teslaccessories.com and sign up, if you haven't already done so. You’ll also be able to see additional pics of the prototype installed in my Model S as well.

Design and Fabrication

Over the past few weeks, we’ve completed the final fabrication design for the CCI and have also finalized all trim details for the standard version of the product. We’ve also met with a packaging firm to begin the development of custom protective end-cap packaging to ensure that the CCI will ship without damage.

CCI Testing

A CCI prototype has been installed in a Model S for the past 19 days. Our testing is addressing product stability (e.g., movement, rattles), product utility (ergonomics, features), and product reliability (e.g., material strength). During our in-car testing, we’ve found that the CCI design is remarkably stable. There is virtually no vertical, lateral, or axial movement under normal (and even some abnormal) driving conditions. The upholstered sides of the CCI have a snug fit against the top of the upholstered Model S channels, and the result is a natural damping effect that improves stability and reduces any vertical movement. Product utility tests indicate that all deck features (closed storage, etc.) are easily reachable by the driver, do not in any way interfere with driving operations or visibility, and can be accessed while driving (safety first!). Product reliability is currently focusing on the tambour door operation (the only moving part within the CCI) to ensure that repeated door openings and closings operate seamlessly.

We’ve also been running installation timing tests. By the clock, it takes about 1 minute (less than we anticipated) to install the CCI, once it’s out of the box.

Aesthetics and Style

The standard CCI will have black upholstered sides, a black deck and black tambour door. Our intent is to reproduce the look and feel of the existing center channel area. It looks very natural in the car, and because it sits low, it is unobtrusive, even for those who might like the open-space feel of the existing center channel area.

We will offer extra cost options for different deck finishes and different side upholstery choices, but these are not finalized as yet.

Pics of the pre-fabrication CCI prototype that is being used for testing in my Model S are available for those who have gotten on the (no obligation) CCI waiting list.

Pricing

On the pricing front, we’ve isolated every cost item, packaging item, and business cost. We haven’t yet finalized these but we’re getting there and should have the CCI retail price point isolated in late November.

We’ve come a long way in a relatively short period of time. Thanks for following our progress. If you haven’t already done so, why not sign up to get on the CCI list and to get our monthly newsletter at teslaccessories.com?
    Last edited by Soflauthor; 2012-10-30 at 07:43 AM.
    Silver Sig (VIN # 184) with the first installed Center Console Insert (CCI)

Looking great! The last three pictures make it look like a really attractive and solid piece of work. Thanks for doing this, Soflauthor.
    MODEL S 85 | BLUE | VIN 4293 | DELIVERY - 02/16/2013

Looks good. Definitely worth the price. Wood is hard to color match & I'd think obeche and lacewood are extra hard to match. I expect it take some trials to get my color right but it shouldn't be too bad since there are a lot of colors you can mix & match a bit. If I had a cell phone and carried crap around with me I might like your CCI
    I'm not sure If I even want to put anything in the nice open space, maybe some cool rocks or something aesthetic.
    - Joules 12/1/12 - Classic P85 - Grey&Lace #369 Zextraterrestials S(tory)

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Looking sharp!

If Tesla is not installing a similar unit from factory, this would be a given accessory for the Model S - given the price is right, incl shipping ww..

Nice work indeed!

Looks great. I'd like to get mine with carbon fiber decor to match interior of my P85.

P1117 Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PLEASE NOTE: These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by teslasguy View Post
    Looks great. I'd like to get mine with carbon fiber decor to match interior of my P85.

P1117
    +1
    Having matching decor would be fantastic!

Bummer I missed out (guess I was offline) on the Signature list window. Not sure I can put a "mere" Production insert into my Signature vehicle.

Maybe there will be an aftermarket (black market?) on Signature aftermarket inserts in a few years.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Thread Information