Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida Turnpike Service Plazas - Charge Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An old Florida Turnpike newsletter stated that:

We anticipate that electric vehicle charging will be added at most of the service plazas next year.

Following on from Larry's thread on hotels it might be useful if we could gather information on the Turnpike service plazas. I've written to the turnpike management office to ask the status and I'll post whatever reply I get. If anyone want to join the chorus the e-mail address is [email protected]

In the meantime if you have any info on FL Turnpike charging stations please post it here.

Update: I got a fast reply from the Turnpike PIO, but not a very happy one:

Good morning, Mr Mxxxxxxxx:
Thank you for contacting Florida’s Turnpike Public Information Office. Below is information on charging stations received in May 2012:
“We are installing conduits and pull boxes at five of the plazas. The charging units will probably not go in for another year or so. Many issues to be overcome”.
To this moment we haven’t received any new information regarding the charging stations.
Respectfully,

It's certinly worthwhile getting a few more people to write mails to [email protected]

Following is the reply I received this morning to a request I made for more information from [[email protected]]:

The Turnpike is currently installing conduits and electrical pull boxes to our electrical rooms at the Snapper Creek, Pompano Beach, West Palm Beach, Fort Drum and Turkey Lake Service Plazas. In fact that work has been completed at the Snapper Creek (4 parking spaces) and Pompano Beach (8 parking spaces) Service Plazas. The remaining plazas will be completed by the end of March 2013.

At this time it is felt that the Turnpike will install Level 2 chargers because this appears to be relevant to most vehicles on the street, although there is no specific timeframe set for installation. Florida Power is studying the impact of Level 3 DC fast chargers on the power bills at the service plazas because it is my understanding that use of these chargers could trigger a change in the utility rate structure for the electrical service. Part of what may define the timeframe and the type of charger is the ability to find grants to purchase the chargers. We are aware of no specific grants that would help us at this time.

Thanks for your interest in Florida's Turnpike.

To summarize, looks like any work they are doing should be completed by next month.

I am a newbie participant on this site. In response to this thread, I have posted the following on a Ford C-Max Energi owners forum:
“Charging Stations at Florida Turnpike Service Plazas
“To the best of my knowledge, there are no charging stations on the Florida Turnpike. Plug-in vehicle owners pay tolls on the turnpike and are entitled to reasonable support. Not only for our own convenience, but for the development of the essential infrastructure for EV travel and to help promote tourism, I suggest that we NRG owners contact the turnpike authorities to encourage them to install charging stations.
This has been a theme for a few years on a Tesla web site, but turnpike officials have not been responsive. Posts on that site encourage getting people to write emails to: [email protected]. See
http://www.teslamoto...Charge-Stations
I am planning to send turnpike officials an email this week. I hope that you will consider doing so as well. ://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/9869-Florida-Turnpike-Service-Plazas-Charge-Stations

See Florida Energi Owners - Page 2 - South Atlantic - Ford C-Max Energi Forum

I will keep you posted on any progress (or lack thereof).

I too sent an email and received a prompt reply today from Tom Wilke, Business Development and Concessions Manager of Florida's Turnpike Enterprise, stating "Although no specific time frame is scheduled for installation of the units, the Turnpike is in discussion with EV charging vendors." Seems to me this reply is boilerplate, but perhaps I'm unfairly lumping them in with WDW.

Let's contact the governor’s office and the legislature

I too sent an email and received a prompt reply today from Tom Wilke, Business Development and Concessions Manager of Florida's Turnpike Enterprise, stating "Although no specific time frame is scheduled for installation of the units, the Turnpike is in discussion with EV charging vendors." Seems to me this reply is boilerplate, but perhaps I'm unfairly lumping them in with WDW.

Thanks for sending the email, TI Sailor. Your comment: “Seems to me this reply is boilerplate, but perhaps I'm unfairly lumping them in with WDW.” is overly generous.

In my earlier post on this thread (8/1/8/13, # 8) I said that I was going to contact FDOT and would post re any progress (or lack thereof). This post will update my lack of progress. It will also provide evidence that FDOT has been for a number of years stringing us along, with the same boilerplate.

In my August 18 post on the fordcmaxenergiforum.com site, I noted that efforts had been previously been made to encourage FL turnpike officials to install charging stations at their service plazas and they had been unresponsive. I stated that I intended to send an email to promote that effort and asked others to consider doing the same.

The following are pertinent parts of the two email messages that I sent to turnpike officials at [email protected] and [email protected] on August 19, 2013:
“I am a regular traveler on Florida’s Turnpike. I currently drive a plug-in hybrid and am in the process of buying an all-electric car. To the best of my knowledge, there are no charging stations on the Turnpike, despite years of discussions, promises, and descriptions of work accomplished. Plug-in vehicle owners pay tolls on the Turnpike and are entitled to reasonable support. Charging stations should be Levels 2 and 3, and should be widely available at reasonable cost. Charging stations are not only for our own personal convenience, but will help promote tourism and environmental values. Electric vehicle owners are a rapidly growing segment of drivers in Florida and are generally fairly upscale. They represent a group that Florida should be seeking to attract as visitors and residents.
“Thank you for your consideration and meaningful action.”

I received an email response that same day from Tom Wilke, Business Development & Concessions Manager, Florida's Turnpike Enterprise. That response is remarkably similar to the those received by many of us who are posting on various sites. He described the installation of one Level 2 charging station at the Snapper Creek Service Plaza (which is south of Miami), the placement of conduits and pull boxes from the electrical rooms to parking spots at the Pompano Beach, West Palm Beach, Fort Drum and Turkey Lake Service Plazas, and the study of placement of additional chargers at “a number of the other service plazas.”

The following are parts of my response that I sent to Mr. Wilke the same day:
“The installation of Level 2 chargers at service plazas would be a big step in the right direction. Unfortunately, I have seen DOT reports from more than two years ago regarding placement of conduits and pull boxes, and I am unaware of any meaningful progress since that time. Would it be possible for you to give me even a rough estimate as to when the chargers at any of the Pompano Beach, West Palm Beach, Fort Drum and Turkey Lake Service Plazas might be accessible to the public? Also, if other plazas are being studied for charger installation, can you tell me which plazas, when the study will be completed, and when action might be taken on the study?
“Unfortunately, the Snapper Creek charging station you described is of no help to me because I travel between Golden Glades and the northern terminus of the turnpike.
“Please give me any possible advice as to whether we might be able to advance the charger installation process by contacting the administration of the DOT, the Office of the Governor, or the legislature. If legislative contact might be effective, can you tell me which legislators or legislative committees have oversight of your budget and substantive priorities?
“Thanks very much for your prompt response to my initial inquiry and any additional assistance you might be able to give me.”

Last edited:
Let's contact the governor’s office and the legislature

It should be clear by now that FDOT has been leading us along for a number of years and hoping that we would be satisfied by their emails. We get the government we deserve. Rather than continuing to deal with FDOT, I suggest that we contact the governor’s office and the legislature.
There are several ways to contact the Office of Governor Rick Scott. You can email the governor at: Email the Governor or you can call (850) 488-7146.
Several House and Senate legislative committees seem relevant. The following is one House committee we might start with: Transportation & Economic Development Appropriations Subcommittee.
Florida House of Representatives - Transportation & Economic Development Appropriations Subcommittee

Location: 221 The Capitol * 402 South Monroe Street * Tallahassee, FL 32399-1300
Representatives:
Hooper, Ed [R] Chair, from Clearwater. (850) 717-5067
Ray, Lake [R] Vice Chair
Rogers, Hazelle P. "Hazel" [D] Democratic Ranking Member
Staff: Greg Davis, Budget Chief, [email protected]

The state government could hardly be less responsive to us than it has. My hope is that government works if we work it.