Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Florida EV Incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are two EV incentives in Florida, and I have questions on both:

1) The use of the EV in the HOV lanes, regardless of the number of passengers, as well as the use of "HOV toll lanes". You need a decal.

What is an "HOV toll lane?" Does this include the "Express Lane" on I-95 in Dade County?
There is a list of vehicles that are eligible, and this list still does not include the Model S, although they are now being delivered. What should be done about this?

2) Quoting directly: Property owners may apply to their local government for funding to help finance EVSE installations on their property or enter into a financing agreement with the local government for the same purpose. (Reference Florida Statutes 163.08)

What does this mean? Has anyone tried it?

There are two EV incentives in Florida, and I have questions on both:

1) The use of the EV in the HOV lanes, regardless of the number of passengers, as well as the use of "HOV toll lanes". You need a decal.

What is an "HOV toll lane?" Does this include the "Express Lane" on I-95 in Dade County?
There is a list of vehicles that are eligible, and this list still does not include the Model S, although they are now being delivered. What should be done about this?

What is the source(s) that you are quoting?

I believe the term "HOV toll lane" is in error, and it should be simply "High occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane". I found this:

An act relating to high occupancy vehicle lanes; amending s. 316.0741, F.S.

High Occupancy Vehicle Decal

If it were me after I got my car I would fill out the appropriate form, submit it to the DMV and see what happens.

2) Quoting directly: Property owners may apply to their local government for funding to help finance EVSE installations on their property or enter into a financing agreement with the local government for the same purpose. (Reference Florida Statutes 163.08)

What does this mean? Has anyone tried it?

For your second question I found the statute you referenced above.

Here's an excerpt:

(c) The Legislature determines that the actions authorized under this section, including, but not limited to, the financing of qualifying improvements through the execution of financing agreements and the related imposition of voluntary assessments are reasonable and necessary to serve and achieve a compelling state interest and are necessary for the prosperity and welfare of the state and its property owners and inhabitants.
(2) As used in this section, the term a) “Local government” means a county, a municipality, a dependent special district as defined in s. 189.403, or a separate legal entity created pursuant to s. 163.01(7).
(b) “Qualifying improvement” includes any:1. Energy conservation and efficiency improvement, which is a measure to reduce consumption through conservation or a more efficient use of electricity, natural gas, propane, or other forms of energy on the property, including, but not limited to, air sealing; installation of insulation; installation of energy-efficient heating, cooling, or ventilation systems; building modifications to increase the use of daylight; replacement of windows; installation of energy controls or energy recovery systems; installation of electric vehicle charging equipment; and installation of efficient lighting equipment.

The wording of the quoted phrase gives the impression that local governments might provide subsidies to qualifying property owners. Whereas the wording of the statute doesn't prohibit providing funding to qualifying property owners, it does not explicitely mention providing funding, but merely mentions possibily arranging for financing, which I interpret to mean providing loans.

I interpret this to mean that local governments are empowered by the state to institute these energy programs, but the local governments are not compelled to do so.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Larry

I'll refer you to this post:

As an update, for those living in South(east) Florida, we've got massive construction on out highways. My understanding is that they are expanding the variable toll lanes on 95 to go to/from the Golden Glades (163rd Street) and 595. In addition, they are building additional express lanes on 595 to/from Weston and 95, which will go east in the AM and west in the PM. All HOV and variable toll lanes are accessible and free at all times for hybrids and EVs. I think it costs $5 a year for the HOV sticker (you get a yellow sticker with the month/date just like your regular registration and a different colored border each year), and the variable tolls on 95 were a one-time fee that now just requires online renewal each year at no cost. The sticker for that goes in the front left windshield and says "95 Express" on it.

These are separate registrations, so you'll want to make sure you do both. I assume the Tesla store folks will help out with this. I bought one of the first Lexus hybrids six years ago and the dealership helped me get my HOV registration done. It's a minimum amount of extra work each year, but very much worth it.

What is the source(s) that you are quoting?

I believe the term "HOV toll lane" is in error, and it should be simply "High occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane". I found this:

An act relating to high occupancy vehicle lanes; amending s. 316.0741, F.S.

High Occupancy Vehicle Decal

If it were me after I got my car I would fill out the appropriate form, submit it to the DMV and see what happens.

For your second question I found the statute you referenced above.

Here's an excerpt:

The wording of the quoted phrase gives the impression that local governments might provide subsidies to qualifying property owners. Whereas the wording of the statute doesn't prohibit providing funding to qualifying property owners, it does not explicitely mention providing funding, but merely mentions possibily arranging for financing, which I interpret to mean providing loans.

I interpret this to mean that local governments are empowered by the state to institute these energy programs, but the local governments are not compelled to do so.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Larry

Yes, I read it the same way. Any ideas about whom to contact to look into this? Btw, I assume all of us in Southeast FL received an e-mail about an electrician referred by Solar City. I called them up and they said that they would be calling everyone to set up appointments within a couple of days. That was around 2 weeks ago, and I still haven't heard back. In the meantime, I've got another guy coming to look at my situation.

Yes, I read it the same way. Any ideas about whom to contact to look into this? Btw, I assume all of us in Southeast FL received an e-mail about an electrician referred by Solar City. I called them up and they said that they would be calling everyone to set up appointments within a couple of days. That was around 2 weeks ago, and I still haven't heard back. In the meantime, I've got another guy coming to look at my situation.

Let us know how it goes. As you know, finding reputable people down here to do work is always tough, so we need to find someone reliable and expert enough to do the job.

I sent you an email.

Larry

I have a friend that bought a Chevy Volt in December, 2011. He told me that his accountant discovered it qualified for a refund of the Florida sales tax on the vehicle and they received all of the vehicle sales tax back in their 2011 return. I was really excited at first that the Model S would also qualify but the more I read, I'm not so sure that return was legit. Anyone heard of such an incentive?

Simplistic explanation: you can deduct local taxes on your Federal return. Major purchases can be worked in to increase that deduction, so every accountant asks if you bought any new vehicles (nothing to do with EV's).

There is NO refund of sales tax in FL.

Simplistic explanation: you can deduct local taxes on your Federal return. Major purchases can be worked in to increase that deduction, so every accountant asks if you bought any new vehicles (nothing to do with EV's).

There is NO refund of sales tax in FL.

Agreed.

Refer to How do I Calculate a Tax, Tag & Title in Florida?

There is a 6% State Sales Tax and a Discretionary Sales Surtax (county tax) that varies by county. Some counties do not have a tax.

Discretionary Sales Surtax Information
For Calendar Year 2012

Only the first $5,000 of a taxable sale or purchase is subject to the discretionary sales surtax.

Larry

In our case, will the county be determined by where we live, or where the dealer is?

Hi Ron,

From documents that I referenced in my previous posting.

What Is Discretionary Sales Surtax?
Discretionary sales surtax, also called a county tax, is imposed by most Florida counties and applies to most transactions subject to sales tax. The selling dealer must collect the surtax in addition to Florida’s general sales tax of 6 percent. The discretionary sales surtax is based on the rate in the county where you deliver taxable goods or services. A few counties do not impose the surtax.

Discretionary sales surtax collections are distributed to local governments in Florida.
The amount of money distributed is based on how you complete each tax return. Dealers should impose the discretionary sales surtax on taxable sales when delivery occurs in a county that imposes surtax. For motor vehicle and mobile home sales, the selling dealer must collect the surtax at the rate imposed by the county identified as the purchaser’s residence. Only the first $5,000 on a single sale of tangible personal property is subject to discretionary sales surtax if the property is sold as a single item, in bulk, as a working unit, or as part of a working unit. However, the $5,000 surtax limitation does not apply to commercial or transient rentals or sales of: services, admissions, service warranties, or prepaid calling arrangements.

Larry

Last edited:
In our case, will the county be determined by where we live, or where the dealer is?

Where we live ( or address we register the car).

The tax incentive is federal so if you are in the 30%+ brackets you in essence get a third of your state sales tax back in savings from the federal deduction barring heavy AMT. Anyone who is a tax professional, please correct me if I am wrong.

Where we live ( or address we register the car).

The tax incentive is federal so if you are in the 30%+ brackets you in essence get a third of your state sales tax back in savings from the federal deduction barring heavy AMT. Anyone who is a tax professional, please correct me if I am wrong.

Hmmm....I thought that sales tax deduction expired after last year. Can you show where it was extended? I thought the others were talking about county surtax, but you seem to be talking about sales tax as a whole.

Hmmm....I thought that sales tax deduction expired after last year. Can you show where it was extended? I thought the others were talking about county surtax, but you seem to be talking about sales tax as a whole.

Ron,

I gather from this Wall Street article that the issue has not been resolved.

Will Sales-Tax Deduction Live On?

Q: Is there any hope that Congress will extend the sales-tax deduction on our federal income tax returns for 2012 and on?
—B.W.B., Lake Worth, Fla.
A: Yes, there are good reasons to be hopeful that lawmakers will extend this provision that expired at the end of last year. This law has long been very popular, and Florida is an important state in this year's elections.

"The sales tax deduction is likely to be extended" for 2012, says Tim Hanford, a consultant in Bethesda, Md., and a former tax staffer on the House Ways & Means Committee. But he says Congress might not act this year until after the November elections.

Taxpayers who itemize their deductions can either deduct the general state and local sales taxes they paid or deduct state and local income taxes.

This law is particularly beneficial for people who live in Florida, Texas, Washington and other states that have no state income tax. But it also helps taxpayers who wind up owing very little in state and local income taxes.

Crunch the numbers both ways to see which works best for you. If you claim the standard deduction, this provision won't apply.

The staff of Congress's Joint Committee on Taxation (www.jct.gov ) recently issued a publication listing tax provisions that are scheduled to expire through 2022. Look on the committee's website for Publication JCX-1-12, dated Jan. 6, 2012.

Larry

Yes, I read this--7 months ago. Everyone would have expected it to be extended by now, and the way the election is shaping up, I have my doubts that it will

Ron,

Perhaps, but seriously what savvy politician would pass on extending this in an election year? Haven't you observed that everything now is reduced to brinksmanship? Isn't this counterproductive partisan approach what cost us the AAA credit rating? :wink:

Larry

Ron,

Perhaps, but seriously what savvy politician would pass on extending this in an election year? Haven't you observed that everything now is reduced to brinksmanship? Isn't this counterproductive partisan approach what cost us the AAA credit rating? :wink:

Larry

Yes to your 2nd and 3rd question, but if it hasn't been extended already, I doubt it will be extended before the election.