Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Florida EV Incentives

Model S - R140

Florida EV Incentives

There are two EV incentives in Florida, and I have questions on both:

1) The use of the EV in the HOV lanes, regardless of the number of passengers, as well as the use of "HOV toll lanes". You need a decal.

What is an "HOV toll lane?" Does this include the "Express Lane" on I-95 in Dade County?
    There is a list of vehicles that are eligible, and this list still does not include the Model S, although they are now being delivered. What should be done about this?

2) Quoting directly: Property owners may apply to their local government for funding to help finance EVSE installations on their property or enter into a financing agreement with the local government for the same purpose. (Reference Florida Statutes 163.08)

What does this mean? Has anyone tried it?

Model S Perf Sig 1232 Larry Chanin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
    There are two EV incentives in Florida, and I have questions on both:

1) The use of the EV in the HOV lanes, regardless of the number of passengers, as well as the use of "HOV toll lanes". You need a decal.

What is an "HOV toll lane?" Does this include the "Express Lane" on I-95 in Dade County?
    There is a list of vehicles that are eligible, and this list still does not include the Model S, although they are now being delivered. What should be done about this?
    What is the source(s) that you are quoting?

I believe the term "HOV toll lane" is in error, and it should be simply "High occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane". I found this:

An act relating to high occupancy vehicle lanes; amending s. 316.0741, F.S.

High Occupancy Vehicle Decal

If it were me after I got my car I would fill out the appropriate form, submit it to the DMV and see what happens.

2) Quoting directly: Property owners may apply to their local government for funding to help finance EVSE installations on their property or enter into a financing agreement with the local government for the same purpose. (Reference Florida Statutes 163.08)

What does this mean? Has anyone tried it?
    For your second question I found the statute you referenced above.

Here's an excerpt:

(c) The Legislature determines that the actions authorized under this section, including, but not limited to, the financing of qualifying improvements through the execution of financing agreements and the related imposition of voluntary assessments are reasonable and necessary to serve and achieve a compelling state interest and are necessary for the prosperity and welfare of the state and its property owners and inhabitants.
    (2) As used in this section, the term a) “Local government” means a county, a municipality, a dependent special district as defined in s. 189.403, or a separate legal entity created pursuant to s. 163.01(7).
    (b) “Qualifying improvement” includes any:1. Energy conservation and efficiency improvement, which is a measure to reduce consumption through conservation or a more efficient use of electricity, natural gas, propane, or other forms of energy on the property, including, but not limited to, air sealing; installation of insulation; installation of energy-efficient heating, cooling, or ventilation systems; building modifications to increase the use of daylight; replacement of windows; installation of energy controls or energy recovery systems; installation of electric vehicle charging equipment; and installation of efficient lighting equipment.

The wording of the quoted phrase gives the impression that local governments might provide subsidies to qualifying property owners. Whereas the wording of the statute doesn't prohibit providing funding to qualifying property owners, it does not explicitely mention providing funding, but merely mentions possibily arranging for financing, which I interpret to mean providing loans.

I interpret this to mean that local governments are empowered by the state to institute these energy programs, but the local governments are not compelled to do so.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Larry
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS (Founder & President)

Blog Entries
    I'll refer you to this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold Panz View Post
    Hey, hybrids and EVs get to go in the HOV lane during rush hour, AND the toll variable toll lane on 95 for free! For a regular commuter to downtown Miami, that's probably worth a couple hundred bucks a year!! Ok, not much an "incentive", but it's all we've got!

Model Sig 304, VIN 542 Arnold Panz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    I'll refer you to this post:
    As an update, for those living in South(east) Florida, we've got massive construction on out highways. My understanding is that they are expanding the variable toll lanes on 95 to go to/from the Golden Glades (163rd Street) and 595. In addition, they are building additional express lanes on 595 to/from Weston and 95, which will go east in the AM and west in the PM. All HOV and variable toll lanes are accessible and free at all times for hybrids and EVs. I think it costs $5 a year for the HOV sticker (you get a yellow sticker with the month/date just like your regular registration and a different colored border each year), and the variable tolls on 95 were a one-time fee that now just requires online renewal each year at no cost. The sticker for that goes in the front left windshield and says "95 Express" on it.

These are separate registrations, so you'll want to make sure you do both. I assume the Tesla store folks will help out with this. I bought one of the first Lexus hybrids six years ago and the dealership helped me get my HOV registration done. It's a minimum amount of extra work each year, but very much worth it.

Model S - R140
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Chanin View Post
    What is the source(s) that you are quoting?

I believe the term "HOV toll lane" is in error, and it should be simply "High occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane". I found this:

An act relating to high occupancy vehicle lanes; amending s. 316.0741, F.S.

High Occupancy Vehicle Decal

If it were me after I got my car I would fill out the appropriate form, submit it to the DMV and see what happens.

For your second question I found the statute you referenced above.

Here's an excerpt:

The wording of the quoted phrase gives the impression that local governments might provide subsidies to qualifying property owners. Whereas the wording of the statute doesn't prohibit providing funding to qualifying property owners, it does not explicitely mention providing funding, but merely mentions possibily arranging for financing, which I interpret to mean providing loans.

I interpret this to mean that local governments are empowered by the state to institute these energy programs, but the local governments are not compelled to do so.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Larry
    Yes, I read it the same way. Any ideas about whom to contact to look into this? Btw, I assume all of us in Southeast FL received an e-mail about an electrician referred by Solar City. I called them up and they said that they would be calling everyone to set up appointments within a couple of days. That was around 2 weeks ago, and I still haven't heard back. In the meantime, I've got another guy coming to look at my situation.

Model Sig 304, VIN 542 Arnold Panz's Avatar
    Yes, I read it the same way. Any ideas about whom to contact to look into this? Btw, I assume all of us in Southeast FL received an e-mail about an electrician referred by Solar City. I called them up and they said that they would be calling everyone to set up appointments within a couple of days. That was around 2 weeks ago, and I still haven't heard back. In the meantime, I've got another guy coming to look at my situation.
    Let us know how it goes. As you know, finding reputable people down here to do work is always tough, so we need to find someone reliable and expert enough to do the job.

Model S Perf Sig 1232 Larry Chanin's Avatar
    I sent you an email.

Larry
    FLORIDA TESLA ENTHUSIASTS (Founder & President)

Blog Entries
    No e-mail on electricians received here but I never expressed an interest. I already have Solar PV and I do have a great local electrician for SW Florida if anyone needs it.

I have a friend that bought a Chevy Volt in December, 2011. He told me that his accountant discovered it qualified for a refund of the Florida sales tax on the vehicle and they received all of the vehicle sales tax back in their 2011 return. I was really excited at first that the Model S would also qualify but the more I read, I'm not so sure that return was legit. Anyone heard of such an incentive?

Blog Entries
    Simplistic explanation: you can deduct local taxes on your Federal return. Major purchases can be worked in to increase that deduction, so every accountant asks if you bought any new vehicles (nothing to do with EV's).

There is NO refund of sales tax in FL.

Thread Information