Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hotel/Airport parking in Texas with Charging Stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Here's a thread to collect all the hotels, resorts and Bed and Breakfasts with with charging stations/ESVEs in Texas

Note: This will obviously be an incomplete and probably not the most up to date list and people should call the hotel to make sure they have the stations there and that they actually work. It's mainly a starting place for people to look.

Austin:

Hilton Austin is working on getting one but isn't working at the moment

Dallas:

Courtyard Dallas Plano Parkway at Preston Road

Hotel Palomar Dallas
I can personally verify the chargers at the Hotel Palomar in Dallas as of early 2012 (J1772 chargers x 2 at 30A which are both Blink stations but the hotel should have the card to access them. Best to call and verify as when I got there, they had never used them before and had to wait 2 hours for them to activate their cards. It worked after that.)
Also has a Tesla HPC verified 8/18/12 by W.Petefish

Hotel ZaZa Dallas
Hotel ZaZa Dallas, TX | Electric Car Stations

Last edited:
Hotel Palomar Dallas
I can personally verify the chargers at the Hotel Palomar in Dallas as of early 2012 (J1772 chargers x 2 at 30A which are both Blink stations but the hotel should have the card to access them. Best to call and verify as when I got there, they had never used them before and had to wait 2 hours for them to activate their cards. It worked after that.)

They also have a HPC now. Verified on 8/18 as I was helping the TM personel plug in the 4 Model S that were here.

They also have a HPC now. Verified on 8/18 as I was helping the TM personel plug in the 4 Model S that were here.

Awesome. A Roadster HPC? Did someone donate it? That will really make visiting there much easier. They said they wanted to be the premiere EV hotel in Dallas after I had trouble getting the chargers to work there at 10PM when I got there with almost no charge left and they followed through. They were very nice about the whole thing and people should definitely give them business for supporting EVs.

Last edited:
I will be at the Hilton Austin wkend of Sept 7-9, 2012, and will report on what I found there. !! I cant wait to cruise to Austin and charge and come back.

Well, I went, and the Hotel has a Chargepoint (1). Supposedly it is free, and I know that when I had my LEAF that at Chargepoint places like Whole Foods, the place of installation can make the charger FREE to whomever plugs in there. I asked the Front Desk, and parking is not free, $27 for Valet, and $20 for self park, per day, and the charger is "free" part of the parking fee.

Also, I saw a neon green Roadster there, in Valet, but couldnt get near it, just saw it on the way down the parking garage to my level. ( I drove the Range Rover from Houston)
Also, there was a midnite blue 2010 there, vin 932. I just saw that it was advertised in Hemmings as a consignment for the Austin Hill Classic auction that is at the Palmer Convention center Sept. 15, 2010 in Austin. Just FYI !!!

Executive Summary

You can take Hilton Austin off the list for now. They have a 30A ChargePoint charger, but it is not hooked up on the network, and it is not currently functional.

Trip Detail

I booked this hotel just because they said they had charging for electric vehicles. I called prior to booking just to make sure A) they had them B) they worked and C) if I needed to be part of any charging network to use them. After the person on the phone called around to verify, I was told that yes, the charging stations were there, they worked, and I could just pay with a credit card. I asked how much power was, and they said they didn't know, but that they had heard it wasn't very expensive. They also said that payment for parking was also required--$25 if you did self parking.

When I arrived, I was directed right to the charging station, which I thought was a good sign. The garage appears secure and the charging station is in a very visible, well lit area. However, the machine was on ChargePoint and (ominously) the Visa/MasterCard signage was covered with black electrical tape. I also thought it was strange that the ChargePoint iPhone application did not show that station. Hoping for the best, I went to check in but the front desk staff weren't really up on the charging stations. They had a confab, and some thought they should "just work" (e.g. no card required). Upon calling someone, the clerk was told that "they no longer worked". The front desk manager came over and said no, they worked, but that they needed to talk to someone that wasn't currently onsite. The manager seemed confident that he would be able to resolve it (and provided an option of charging across the street if they couldn't), so I decided to check in anyway and head to dinner. A few hours later, I checked back, and there was no movement, so I attempted to call ChargePoint myself. No dice--on the positive side, they have a number staffed 24-7. But the Hilton charger (FA7B) was not in their system, so they could not remotely authorize them with a credit card. I went back to the lobby and asked for the fallback option of charging across the street, but after driving over there, it turned out the charger was in another garage. We went to a garage a few blocks away and found the charger. It was also ChargePoint (which seems to have the Austin market locked up), and I used the option to pay via credit card which worked. This is pay by the hour for 30A (max) and when I returned the next morning the total bill was $26.23 which I thought was a high, but hey, when you need power, you need it. I should also say that the alternate garage wasn't nearly as secure--the charging stations were right by a stairwell and the stairwell was open to the street. When I was fiddling with the charging unit a (seemingly drunk) guy and his buddies were walking down the stairs from a higher floor and asked if the car was electric. I said it was and he said something unintelligible and went on his way. My fear was that on his way back he might decide to do something stupid and unplug the car. At that point I was stuck, though, so I just left it once charging commenced. I ordered a ChargePoint card, so next time the app can notify me if charging gets interrupted to give me some piece of mind. Presumably the Tesla app will be able to do this as well.

Last, I will say the manager of the Hilton went out of his way to make the situation right. He drove with me to find the other charging station and comped my charging bill. I didn't give them a hard time about it because at least they were making an attempt--many hotels at this point aren't even trying to accommodate EV travelers, and I appreciate that they are taking a first step. Presumably they'll get these stations working now that they know there is an issue and they'll be back working soon. In the meantime, I'll post some suggested travel tips in my trip thread about it.

Executive Summary

You can take Hilton Austin off the list for now. They have a 30A ChargePoint charger, but it is not hooked up on the network, and it is not currently functional.

I booked this hotel just because they said they had charging for electric vehicles. I called prior to booking just to make sure A) they had them B) they worked and C) if I needed to be part of any charging network to use them. After the person on the phone called around to verify, I was told that yes, the charging stations were there, they worked, and I could just pay with a credit card. I asked how much power was, and they said they didn't know, but that they had heard it wasn't very expensive. They also said that payment for parking was also required--$25 if you did self parking.

Last, I will say the manager of the Hilton went out of his way to make the situation right. He drove with me to find the other charging station and comped my charging bill. I didn't give them a hard time about it because at least they were making an attempt--many hotels at this point aren't even trying to accommodate EV travelers, and I appreciate that they are taking a first step. Presumably they'll get these stations working now that they know there is an issue and they'll be back working soon. In the meantime, I'll post some suggested travel tips in my trip thread about it.

Thanks for the summary. This is disappointing. I started working with the property manager there maybe in mid 2011 to get chargers installed. I had them lined up with 70A ClipperCreek J1772 chargers that take credit cards and was told it was a go. Somehow many months later that got changed to what they have now. Oh well, once it's working I guess it will be better than nothing but sorry if putting it on the list made things tough on you. I was assured by the property manager by e-mail in August that it was up and running but hadn't had time to check it myself.

This just goes to show you that even when you go through every step like you did and ask those important 3 questions that there still are no assurances unless you have someone physically go and check the charger for you to make sure it works.

@dsm363 No worries, as an early adopter I don't mind going through some issues if it makes it easier for the next guys. The manager seemed to feel really bad, so hopefully he'll get it resolved soon. It probably wouldn't hurt to stop by in a month or so and see if the situation is changed, though. :) Thanks for getting the ball rolling in the first place!

Thanks for the summary. This is disappointing. I started working with the property manager there maybe in mid 2011 to get chargers installed. I had them lined up with 70A ClipperCreek J1772 chargers that take credit cards and was told it was a go. Somehow many months later that got changed to what they have now. Oh well, once it's working I guess it will be better than nothing but sorry if putting it on the list made things tough on you. I was assured by the property manager by e-mail in August that it was up and running but hadn't had time to check it myself.

This just goes to show you that even when you go through every step like you did and ask those important 3 questions that there still are no assurances unless you have someone physically go and check the charger for you to make sure it works.

6-1-2013, I was at the Hilton AUSTIN, and the Chargepoint did just fine. You have to have your Chargepoint card, and your J1772 adapter, BUT IT WORKS. Tap the card, it unlocks, and you pull the J1772 out, plug it up to your adapter, and slide it into the port. SO, Excellent, we have the Hilton Austin back !! By the way, there was no charge incurred on my account for the juice either.