Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More than 1,000 U.S. Signatures (confirmed)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
According to posts on the TM forum, Tesla is (or is considering) opening up more U.S. Signatures if the Canadian Signatures don't meet the 200 target.

Its Time to Build Your Model S | Forums | Tesla Motors
toto_48313 said:
I also talk to the Sales rep, and he told me that if there is any of the 200 Canadian signature spot left by end of september, US customers who request it will have a signature model(depending how much will left from Canada) as they will produce 1200 signature model in North America prior to any general production.

So if you are in the US, you can expect to have between 20 to 50 signature as there is currently just a little bit more than 160 Canadian Sig reservation , and they expect few downgrade to Gen prod. If you are in Canada it's time to configure your signature model.
Canadian pricing out... i am in tears | Forums | Tesla Motors
LottDenn said:
Tesla Canada reps told me that was why so many S slots were coming available in the US. People are "voting with their feet" and moving to P cars.

I wonder how long before they update the site, and what kind of uproar that might trigger.

1000Options.png

I must admit I'm a bit peeved. It goes against what I recall George saying the other day.

Update:
Here's what I was referring to:

FALSE RUMOR: Founders list might be getting bigger. (GeorgeB responds))
Discoducky said:
I have some good news and bad news.

Good news is that interest in the Model S is crazy from people with lots of money who are being added to the Founders list.

Bad news is that these people are apparently getting ahead of even SSL reservation holders and the Founders list has apparently ballooned to over 200.
Jkam said:
In producing more Founder's series cars, it is diluting the value of plunking down a significant deposit to have one of the first 1,000 cars and is basically allowing people to cut in line.
GeorgeB said:
Completely inaccurate rumor. We would never do this to those who have supported us as long-term Model S Reservation Holders. Never.

GeorgeB

Perhaps I was mistaken in reading into George's response that Tesla was aware of the concern and would not dilute the value of Signature limitedness. Bummer; that apparently is not the case.

Delayed update, life's been busy...
brianman said:
Hey again.

I've heard that there is a consideration of moving some of the Signature allotment from the Canadian market to the U.S. market.

I've captured some of my thoughts here:
Update? more than 1,000 U.S. Signatures

To me this represents a dilution of the Signature value, which is currently comprised of: exclusivity / limited production, early delivery, red exterior (already diluted by the 2013 Sunset Red), and white interior (which I'm not opting for because it will be difficult to keep clean).

Is this what they had in mind when they said they have some "surprises" in store for Signature owners? It's not what I had in mind. :(

It's even more troubling doing this after U.S. Signatures have already locked in to their MVPA. I'm not saying it's a breach of contract, but rather that it's a bit slimy to change the U.S. Sig count after lock-in and beneath what I expect from Tesla. This isn't "we had to change the light bulbs due to supplier issues". This would be a Tesla-only marketing decision to dilute the value of U.S. Signatures in the name of recouping lost potential-profit from the Canadian market. At least that's how it comes across to me.

I don't intend to change my reservation over it, but I'd like you to pass on some feedback to the higher ups. I'm definitely not wearing a Tesla smile at the moment.
Walter Franck said:
I'm very sorry you aren’t feel the Tesla smile right now.

For 100% transparency, 2500 Signature Model S vehicles are planned for reservation holders around the globe. North America will receive 1,200 in total. Our friends that drive on the other side of the road will receive approximately 500 right-hand drive Signature vehicles. The remaining Signature Model S will be distributed throughout Europe and China.

We finalized the plan to deliver 2,500 Worldwide Signature Model S back in early 2011. At that time, 1,200 were assigned to North America. This number has not changed. We knew demand would be very strong in the U.S. as delivery timing got closer, so we tentatively set aside 200 reservation slots for Canada to make sure US demand did not unfairly limit our Canadian customers from being able to reserve a Signature Model S. Several months ago we began moving towards the 1,200 number in North America by allowing customers on the U.S. waitlist to reserve a Signature Model S. We will not go above the 1,200 originally planned. We are simply achieving the 1,200 planned, while making sure our Canadian customers had a fair chance to reserve as demand increased significantly in the U.S. due to deliveries beginning there sooner.

Something that always gives me the Tesla smile is seeing other automotive advertisements on TV. The electric power train is fundamentally better than an internal combustion engine and the average American still doesn’t really know that. Knowing that how good instant torque combined with a low center of gravity feels is a great reason to smile.

You are going to really enjoy driving this car. I know it feels like an eternity, but we aren't so far away from handing over your keys.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to posts on the TM forum, Tesla is (or is considering) opening up more U.S. Signatures if the Canadian Signatures don't meet the 200 target.

Its Time to Build Your Model S | Forums | Tesla Motors

Canadian pricing out... i am in tears | Forums | Tesla Motors

I wonder how long before they update the site, and what kind of uproar that might trigger.

View attachment 9152

I must admit I'm a bit peeved. It goes against what I recall George saying the other day.

Update:
Here's what I was referring to:

FALSE RUMOR: Founders list might be getting bigger. (GeorgeB responds))

Perhaps I was mistaken in reading into George's response that Tesla was aware of the concern and would not dilute the value of Signature limitedness. Bummer; that apparently is not the case.

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure what your purpose is in resurrecting this discredited rumor about the Founders list? :confused:

What's your complaint with the number of North American Signatures remaining the same?

Larry

My concern is with the U.S. Signature count changing.

It's been 1,000 since the first day I looked at teslamotors.com Model S pages. I reserved, I configured, I signed the paperwork. Now the number has changed.

Is nothing "locked in" in the Model S agreement?

There will not be more than 1200 North American Signatures. They were always planning on doing that many, and would have had no issues with getting 200 Canadians had they qualified for NAFTA, I think.

This is totally different than making up new Founders series runs for the privileged.

You mean like detouring to bring up a discredited rumor that has nothing to do with the issue?:wink:
In your opinion. As I noted in the original thread, the concern about the Founder's rumor for me was about Signature dilution not about the line skipping.

This expressed change in course dilutes in exactly the same way. And I'm bothered by it. Perhaps I'm alone in that concern, perhaps not.

Doesn't bother me, 1200 signatures is 1200 signatures in North America, whether it's 1000 US, 200 CDN, or 1050 US, 150 CDN, or 1100 US, 100 CDN.

I see plates from Quebec, Ontario, BC, etc. down here all the time, and I'm not going to squabble over it. Really, does having an extra 50 or 100 Sigs in the US really dilute the value?

While it does take away from the US being a nice round 1,000 number it shouldn't really make much of a difference in resell value. It's not like they're adding another 1,000 Signature spots. I understand why that might upset someone but Tesla also is running a business. They've said 1,200 NA Sigs for awhile now so they'd be leaving money on the table if there are US customers willing to pay the Signature premium.

This seems to be one of those discussions where both sides are right but have a different way of looking at it. Brianman certainly has a point that, if true, there will be more Signatures in the US and that it devalues their inherent value in some small way. The others are also correct that Tesla has always intended there to be 1200 Signatures for the US and Canada. It's in Tesla's business interest to fill all the Signature slots so that's the way it will likely come out. Right now Tesla needs every dollar they can get, so how upset are you going to get over the adjustment if it's true, brianman?

This seems to be one of those discussions where both sides are right but have a different way of looking at it. Brianman certainly has a point that, if true, there will be more Signatures in the US and that it devalues their inherent value in some small way. The others are also correct that Tesla has always intended there to be 1200 Signatures for the US and Canada. It's in Tesla's business interest to fill all the Signature slots so that's the way it will likely come out. Right now Tesla needs every dollar they can get, so how upset are you going to get over the adjustment if it's true, brianman?

Plus, they may have the corresponding components ready (for example a certain amount of sig red paint), and other components (and corresponding robot programs) perhaps not yet ready (for example the standard sound). And yes, 50 * $40k = $2 million very soon (this quarter), and a number of fully equipped cars soon after, may make a small but noticeable difference.

First of all, the forum tally is almost certainly incorrect. It shows 162 Canadian Signatures. It does not show the Signature Special list (Roadster owners), because for some reason michiganmodels decided not to tally them. A friend of mine got Signature Special #23 last month.

That suggests that the tally is actually 185. Since they compressed the Canadian reservation numbers a while back, only recent dropouts would not be represented. I wouldn't be surprised if there was less than two dozen slots available.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Here's mine: Borders are just political constructs. It makes no difference if 200 or 180 cars are bought in a certain region. No one is getting upset about how many sigs are going to Texas, vs N. California, vs So Cal, etc.

GSP

PS. Every Tesla owner benefits with improved corporate revenue, especially the very timely revenue from 1200 sigs.

I am on the Sig waiting list. When I talked to the Tesla representative, he assured me it was "highly unlikely at this stage" I would receive a Sig. They have not closed the list which makes me speculate some people are still deciding wether to stay with there Sig or not. He added Tesla would not manufacturer more then 1200 Sigs for the North American market.