Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Insurance in Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Jaff,

For you, how does the Model S premium compare to your roadster? And what kind of difference in premium could one expect between the sig model and general production model S?

Ok. hot off the press...

The VICC car code for the base Model S is 4001...the code for the Sigs is 4002.

In Ontario, if you give this car code to your broker, they should be able to calaculate an annual premium for you

The corresponding rate groups for the base models are as follows...AB 1 / collision 32 / dcpd 37 / comp 37...

The corresponding rate groups for the Sigs are AB 1 / collision 38 / dcpd 38 / comp 46

For comparison, the rate groups on my 2010 Roadster are as follows...AB 1 / collision 29 / dcpd 46 / comp 46

The above mentioned rate groups for my Roadster create an annual premium of $135.00 / month or $1,620 / yr.

I found it interesting that they are differentiating between the base and Sig models, but not between the base and performance models...

I haven't had a chance to work it out yet Matt...I'm severely under-staffed this week due to vacations & a wedding...I'll try to get some numbers for you shortly...

Hey Jaff,

For you, how does the Model S premium compare to your roadster? And what kind of difference in premium could one expect between the sig model and general production model S?

Early numbers for your territory are kind of fugly Matt...in the $1,800 - $2,300 / year range...my Roadster costs less to insure...

However, you are in the second hightest rated city on Ontario...(time to move out to Grimsby where the rates are a bit lower...:wink::biggrin:)

I'm paying 1600$/year now for my BMW... (AB : 35, DCPD/Coll/A.P. 38, CMP/SPP 45) If it's close to the low end of that range it's a relatively small increase.

Any idea what the difference in premium would be on the sig vs. non sig Model S?

Early numbers for your territory are kind of fugly Matt...in the $1,800 - $2,300 / year range...my Roadster costs less to insure...

However, you are in the second hightest rated city on Ontario...(time to move out to Grimsby where the rates are a bit lower...:wink::biggrin:)

You're getting the equivalent of a qroup rate though (engineers I think...the old Meloche Monnex group) Doug...plus, Ottawa as a territory has better loss experience than Hamilton...

Yow, I hope the numbers for Ottawa are better. My Roadster costs a fraction of that to insure.

- - - Updated - - -

$1,600 is about what I pay on the Roadster for a year...although again, Grimsby has lower base territory rates than Hamilton...only Toronto is worse for base rates than Hamilton...

I'm paying 1600$/year now for my BMW... (AB : 35, DCPD/Coll/A.P. 38, CMP/SPP 45) If it's close to the low end of that range it's a relatively small increase.

Any idea what the difference in premium would be on the sig vs. non sig Model S?

I'll get some numbers for the non Sig shortly...they won't be a whole lot better...maybe $75-$150

Last edited:
You're getting the equivalent of a qroup rate though (engineers I think...the old Meloche Monnex group) Doug...plus, Ottawa as a territory has better loss experience than Hamilton...

Right, I keep forgetting that... I signed up with the PEO plan at Meloche Monnex. That company was bought by TD Bank, and then the engineers bailed on them when OSPE was split from PEO... and I guess they kept the plan the same so thousands of customers wouldn't bail on them... :confused:

If I recall correctly my Roadster plus Infiniti G37 was around $1,500.

In MB it is $1200 for "bare bones" insurance (which isn't horrible), I'll probably pay around $1700 per year to properly insure it. There doesn't appear to be any difference in premium between the regular S and the Signature (unless you increase the "maximum insurance value" to their actual prices, then Sig is a few dollars more per year). I'm okay with that.

Anyone can play with MPI's calculator, go to mpi.mb.ca. It's fun!

The range on the Model S (non-Sig) is about $1,550 to $2,000...slightly better.

To me, it makes no sense to differentiate between the base Model & the Sigs when they are not differentiating between the base model & the performance version...also, from a cost perspective, they are not differentiating between the 40 kwh battery & the 85 kwh battery...

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
The range on the Model S (non-Sig) is about $1,550 to $2,000...slightly better.

To me, it makes no sense to differentiate between the base Model & the Sigs when they are not differentiating between the base model & the performance version...

Yeah, that makes no sense whatsoever. It indicates that they don't understand the product configurations. After all, you can configure a base Model S to have almost every option that the Signature has, except some cosmetic things like paint color. Or maybe they're just assuming most base cars won't have all the options and on average will be cheaper.

also, from a cost perspective, they are not differentiating between the 40 kwh battery & the 85 kwh battery...

Right, that's a $20k price difference. That said, I suppose only very serious accidents will damage the battery pack. Most accidents are probably fender-benders. Unless it's a write-off, it's the cost of repair that matters, not the cost of the car. But then, I'm no expert on insurance.

On another topic... no sign of that email yet...

After playing around with the calculator, it looks like MPI charges a $4-10 per year premium on the Signature vs. non-Sig (with identical coverage - you could easily load up a non-Sig to be more expensive than a Sig). I'm not sure how that $4 would replace a Sig... but I'm okay with that. I assume if a Sig is totalled, it won't be replaced with a Sig anyway... I agree that the difference should be Performance vs. non-Performance.

edit: mods, could you put these insurance posts into a separate thread? I bet there are a lot of people getting excited every time a Cdn Sig holder posts here ;)

- - - Updated - - -

On another topic... no sign of that email yet...

I suppose it's only 9:24 AM in California right now...

No email here yet either...:crying:

Insurers are usually more worried about performance / occupant protection these days than the overall cost to replace the vehicle...this changed when the VICC codes came into use back in the 1990's...the Model S scores top marks for occupant safety, but this safety score is the same Roadster's...

I'm more inclined to think that the Model S is scored more correctly than the Roadster is...the CF body and performance of the Roadster should mean the Roadster costs much more to insure than the Model S imo ...

Hello to all

first post, but long time reader

BelairDirect now has Tesla for online quote
the economy mode would cost me $65,42 per month, $85 for enriched mode and $94 per month for optimal protection
I live in Montreal, private parking but no int. garage

tesla_s_belair.jpg

I believe P.Q. is government insurance with private carrier top ups...the Accident Benefit limits in the policy pale in comparison to Ontario's...this is one of the main reasons that Ontario has the highest auto insurance rates in the country...(cadillac product...)

Here's another data point:

Melouche-Monnex, Alberta, personal use for primary use commute to work, collision plus million dollar liability.
Model S non-Signature, for car value just over $100K: $871/year (for a single car on policy). Its about $8 less if it is under $100K.
It's a steep deductable though ($5000 because of high value vehicle).

They said its this low (it is about $8 more than my current 15-year old compact) because there is no current repair data so they start low and will adjust if cost of repairs is higher than average.

I just got a quote from La Personnelle (Desjardins) in Quebec, for a non-sig model S (they did not have the perf as a separate category). Personal use, commute to work.

$1,100 per year, 2 million $ civil liability, fixed deductible of $2000 for collision and $1000 for non-collision (theft, vandalism, etc).

No requirement for tracking device (this surprised me, as they forced me to get one on my G37X).

MM in Alberta is still a group discounted rate...also, Alberta's base rates are lower than Ontario's, but your base product covers less...

It is really somewhat pointless to compare rates in one Province to another as there is no correlationof data between them (government insurance vs. private insurance / group carrier rates vs. standard rates / every Province's base rates are derived from different experience tables / etc...)...you're comparing apples & oranges here...

Ontario's rates are the highest in Canada as the base product here is a "Cadillac" plan courtesy of Bob Rae's NDP government changes back in the late 1990's...other provinces, especially those with government insurance schemes cover far less under their basic plans, but in turn, have far lower premiums...

The only real comparative is between different companies quoting on your own specific rating data (your terrirtory / your driving history / your coverage limits / etc...)