Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S Insurance in Canada

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mknox View Post
    Does Model S even have an OBD II port for a tracking device to plug into? I recall reading elsewhere that Tesla techs connect to the car via WiFi (a problem for the owner whose WiFi was not working).
    From On-board diagnostics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1996: The OBD-II specification is made mandatory for all cars sold in the United States.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Insurance in Ontario is pretty expensive... even more so if you live in the Greater Toronto Area.

I have a perfect 6-star no claims rating, have a multi-car discount as well as a discount for having my two residential properties with the same company. I only carry $1 million liability and have $400 deductible Collision and $200 deductible Comprehensive coverage.

My current Cadillac CTS costs $2,016 / year. I shop this around every couple of years and have been unable to do any better.

My broker had a bit of trouble looking up the Tesla Model S, but after much discussion and periods of waiting on hold, he came back with an estimate of $2,305 for the exact same coverage. He asked what the car costs and I told him they ranged from $64,500 to north of $100,000 minus the $8,500 EV rebate. I think this estimate is based on the lower end of the price range. He cautioned that this is only an estimate and that he would need the VIN number to work up a quote.

I guess about $300 more a year for a new (more expensive) Model S vs. a 3 year old Cadillac is really not too bad...

That's crazy. And people were complaining about yearly service charges...

Insurance in Ontario is pretty expensive... even more so if you live in the Greater Toronto Area.

I have a perfect 6-star no claims rating, have a multi-car discount as well as a discount for having my two residential properties with the same company. I only carry $1 million liability and have $400 deductible Collision and $200 deductible Comprehensive coverage.

My current Cadillac CTS costs $2,016 / year. I shop this around every couple of years and have been unable to do any better.

My broker had a bit of trouble looking up the Tesla Model S, but after much discussion and periods of waiting on hold, he came back with an estimate of $2,305 for the exact same coverage. He asked what the car costs and I told him they ranged from $64,500 to north of $100,000 minus the $8,500 EV rebate. I think this estimate is based on the lower end of the price range. He cautioned that this is only an estimate and that he would need the VIN number to work up a quote.

I guess about $300 more a year for a new (more expensive) Model S vs. a 3 year old Cadillac is really not too bad...

Canadian Insurance Quotes

I recognize that everyone will have various factors working into their insurance rate (i.e. discounts from other policies, driving record, etc...). Just wanted to get a sense of who is offering the best deal for EVs as some companies are posting EV-specific discounts. So far I've spoken with RBC Insurance who couldn't put together a quote until I had a VIN number. The second one, Desjardins, offered up the following:

Vehicle : 2012 Telsa Model S Signature
    Total Annual Premium: $2083
    Coverage:
    Liability: $1,000,000
    Collision: $2,000
    Comprehensive: $1,000
    Trouble-Free Option: Included
    OPCF/SEF 43: 5-Year New Vehicle Protection: Included
    Accident Free
    Protection: Included

What are others finding out in the market place?

Blog Entries
    Moved!
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Hey mknox I was going to reply to you in the Model S Canadian deliveries thread but this belongs here and I figure you'll find it...

I've found kanetix.ca a good resource in the past. RBC's qutoes are usually the worst that get spit out there for me. They are so bad in fact they are 100% more than some of the lower priced ones, (desjardins, Aviva etc.)
    2013 Tesla Model S P85: 12.417 @ 111.570 MPH

Performance 85kWh, custom 19" Forgestar c5fv wheels, white/black/CF, pano,sound,tech,twin chargers!

Quote Originally Posted by mnx View Post
    Hey mknox I was going to reply to you in the Model S Canadian deliveries thread but this belongs here and I figure you'll find it...

I've found kanetix.ca a good resource in the past. RBC's qutoes are usually the worst that get spit out there for me. They are so bad in fact they are 100% more than some of the lower priced ones, (desjardins, Aviva etc.)
    Thanks! RBC came in the lowest when I last shopped around, but that was probably 2-3 years ago. They even beat all the other quotes I had on my two residential properties. I guess it's about time I shopped around again. One thing that really kills is being in the GTA... rates are significantly higher than other parts of Ontario.

CDN Model S P308
    I just tried belairdirect.com. I live in Montreal and the online quote came to $1323 with 2M liability and $250 deductible and replacement value. That's pretty good I think!

Quote Originally Posted by zax123 View Post
    I just tried belairdirect.com. I live in Montreal and the online quote came to $1323 with 2M liability and $250 deductible and replacement value. That's pretty good I think!
    I'm going to give them a try here in Ontario. The only way for you (and us) to know if the quote you got is "good" would be to compare with a quote they give you for a similar car (Panamera, 5-Series etc.). They may (or may not) be charging a premium for the "unknown factor" of the Model S.

Thread Information