Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Model S Insurance in Canada

After playing around with the calculator, it looks like MPI charges a $4-10 per year premium on the Signature vs. non-Sig (with identical coverage - you could easily load up a non-Sig to be more expensive than a Sig). I'm not sure how that $4 would replace a Sig... but I'm okay with that. I assume if a Sig is totalled, it won't be replaced with a Sig anyway... I agree that the difference should be Performance vs. non-Performance.

edit: mods, could you put these insurance posts into a separate thread? I bet there are a lot of people getting excited every time a Cdn Sig holder posts here

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post

On another topic... no sign of that email yet...
    I suppose it's only 9:24 AM in California right now...

Items for Sale
    No email here yet either...

Insurers are usually more worried about performance / occupant protection these days than the overall cost to replace the vehicle...this changed when the VICC codes came into use back in the 1990's...the Model S scores top marks for occupant safety, but this safety score is the same Roadster's...

I'm more inclined to think that the Model S is scored more correctly than the Roadster is...the CF body and performance of the Roadster should mean the Roadster costs much more to insure than the Model S imo ...
    Member Southern Ontario Tesla Owners Club

Hello to all

first post, but long time reader

BelairDirect now has Tesla for online quote
    the economy mode would cost me $65,42 per month, $85 for enriched mode and $94 per month for optimal protection
    I live in Montreal, private parking but no int. garage

Name:  tesla_s_belair.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  63.2 KB

Items for Sale
    I believe P.Q. is government insurance with private carrier top ups...the Accident Benefit limits in the policy pale in comparison to Ontario's...this is one of the main reasons that Ontario has the highest auto insurance rates in the country...(cadillac product...)

CDN Sig Vin 2114, X P362 Jgdixon's Avatar
    I was quoted $1600 per year for business use by Aviva.
    Last edited by Jgdixon; 2012-10-02 at 08:10 PM.

Items for Sale
    That appears to be right in the ballpark jg...low end...I don't write for Aviva, but they are a good sized & stable company (in my experience) ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgdixon View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Here's another data point:

Melouche-Monnex, Alberta, personal use for primary use commute to work, collision plus million dollar liability.
    Model S non-Signature, for car value just over $100K: $871/year (for a single car on policy). Its about $8 less if it is under $100K.
    It's a steep deductable though ($5000 because of high value vehicle).

They said its this low (it is about $8 more than my current 15-year old compact) because there is no current repair data so they start low and will adjust if cost of repairs is higher than average.

CDN P285
    I just got a quote from La Personnelle (Desjardins) in Quebec, for a non-sig model S (they did not have the perf as a separate category). Personal use, commute to work.

$1,100 per year, 2 million $ civil liability, fixed deductible of $2000 for collision and $1000 for non-collision (theft, vandalism, etc).

No requirement for tracking device (this surprised me, as they forced me to get one on my G37X).

Items for Sale
    MM in Alberta is still a group discounted rate...also, Alberta's base rates are lower than Ontario's, but your base product covers less...

It is really somewhat pointless to compare rates in one Province to another as there is no correlationof data between them (government insurance vs. private insurance / group carrier rates vs. standard rates / every Province's base rates are derived from different experience tables / etc...)...you're comparing apples & oranges here...

Ontario's rates are the highest in Canada as the base product here is a "Cadillac" plan courtesy of Bob Rae's NDP government changes back in the late 1990's...other provinces, especially those with government insurance schemes cover far less under their basic plans, but in turn, have far lower premiums...

The only real comparative is between different companies quoting on your own specific rating data (your terrirtory / your driving history / your coverage limits / etc...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeps17 View Post
    No requirement for tracking device
    Does Model S even have an OBD II port for a tracking device to plug into? I recall reading elsewhere that Tesla techs connect to the car via WiFi (a problem for the owner whose WiFi was not working).

Thread Information