Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does AutoNation want Tesla dealerships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A very short "review", but incredibly impressive for Tesla given the reviewer. Jackson openly admits that they have no chance of ever selling new Teslas in their stores. I also agree with his digs at Fisker, and think it's interesting that they have no interest in selling them:

Tesla Model S Is ‘First-Rate Car,’ AutoNation Chief Says

Ya, not really a review which is why I didn't post it in this thread, but I seriously considered starting a new thread for it because it's a super interesting story.

I very much got the sense that Mike Jackson would love to have the opportunity to sell Tesla's. When asked about Fisker he said flat out he wasn't interested in selling their cars (and he politely trashed the Karma). But when asked about Tesla dealerships his answer was that AutoNation "had no way in" because Tesla is going with their company store strategy.

The only "bad" thing he had to say about the Model S was that it was "expensive". It certainly is compared to a Toyota Yaris, but AutoNation sells a ton of high end cars that cost as much or more than Model S. So taken as a whole, I'd bet some dollars that AutoNation would be interested buying Tesla dealerships.

Edit: Gonna go ahead and copy this message to a new thread.

I think it's good that traditional "dealerships" are interested in what Tesla has to offer (if he really is, and isn't just simply stating that it isn't an option either way). However, I think Tesla is better off with their own stores. They need to control as much of the user experience as they possibly can.

I think it's good that traditional "dealerships" are interested in what Tesla has to offer (if he really is, and isn't just simply stating that it isn't an option either way). However, I think Tesla is better off with their own stores. They need to control as much of the user experience as they possibly can.

Agreed, but for someone who is essentially in competition with Tesla to say such nice things about the car is quite a statement Bout how good the Model S is. Here's a guy who is clearly not a fanboy or gear head and has every business reason to trash the car, and instead he praises it.

Agreed, but for someone who is essentially in competition with Tesla to say such nice things about the car is quite a statement Bout how good the Model S is. Here's a guy who is clearly not a fanboy or gear head and has every business reason to trash the car, and instead he praises it.

That, and that he seems to be a standup guy who can be objective with his comments and observations. Many people who, in that situation, would trash Tesla would do the complete opposite if the bits that affect their business were no longer there (especially if they were selling them).

Customers benefit, too. The constraints on dealerships to be honest and client-oriented are indirect, and notoriously squishy. For TM stores, they're direct and rigid.