Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Quebec rebate for charging station - HPC eligible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeeps17

Cath Jockey in a P85
Mar 17, 2012
Montreal, Canada
A question for fellow TMC'ers from Quebec.

Does anyone know if the Tesla HPC is eligible for the 'up to $1000' refund for purchase / installation of a home charging station?

The criteria are as below:

To be considered for this program, the station must be:
- New
- Powered by a 240 volt supply
- Equipped with a standard SAE J1772 connector

- Approved by a recognized authority, as required under the Building Act
- Installed at the home of the eligible vehicle's owner
- Installed and connected by a licensed electrician

The bolded ones could potentially be problematic (I assume the HPC does not have a J1772 adapter, but may be wrong).

For that matter, what about having a nema 14-50 plug installed? Sounds like that would also not be covered...

No, it doesn't have the J1772. NEMA 14-50 wouldn't be covered either.

You could get a Clipper Creek J1772. They have a version capable of HPC level power; in fact the Roadster HPC is a Clipper Creek.

They are available in Canada from Sun Country Highway (Full disclosure - I'm a consultant for the aforementioned company.)

I asked TM this question when they were here in Montreal for the beta tour and had to make them understand that distinction (they thought at first that it would be ok because of the j1772 connector of the car). Was told they would forward my concern/request for compliance with the distant possibility that they could convince the government to accept theirs specifically as qualified as well. I do not believe that this is feasible however.

Good question.

You might get an answer by asking here:

[email protected]

Marie-Claude Michel
Chargée de projet
Direction des secteurs du transport, de l'industrie et de l'innovation technologique
Bureau de l'efficacité et de l'innovation énergétiques
Ministère des Ressources naturelles et de la Faune
5 700, 4e Avenue Ouest, RC
Québec (Québec) G1H 6R1

Anybody tried to get their installation reimbursed by Roulez Électrique?

I got the same answer as above by that ladie but the S doesn't need the J1772 and have onboard single charger so why bother with buying a charger. Just need the NEMA plug. I think their rules are simply obsolete.

Hello,

I confirm, after talking with the roulez electrique team that the Tesla Charger is NOT eligible since it does not use the J1772 standard. They want to «encourage» standard so that every type of plugin cars can use them.

But the CS90 charger is admissible. I'm also a Sun Country partner and can sell you a CS90 right away. I'm based in Trois-Rivières but I'm regularly in Montreal so I can deliver it to your door. I can also find you a certified electrician if you need one.

Just contact my inbox if you want more info.

I got the confirmation that the rebate is available for the CS90. I'm waiting for my refund for my own CS90 !! :)