Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at Nissan dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ViperDoc

Roadster 1305
Jun 24, 2011
Vermont
I have finally gotten my Roadster charging successfully at Chargepoint stations (the 2 local Chargepoints wouldn't work until they replaced the hardware at them recently). Now my only problem is charging at a Nissan Leaf charger. Has anyone done this successfullly (eg, at a Nissan dealership), and if so, is there anything in particular you did? I have tried at 2 different dealerships and tried limiting the amperage without success.

Thanks!

DJ

What is the amperage setting for a 2.5 using a j1772. Do I set it down to 15 or something?

You don't need to set it for anything less than 70A. The small wire in the Roadster connector carries a pilot signal that lets the car know how many amps are available from the charging station. The J1772 standard uses the same pilot signal protocol so your car will automatically limit the amps on its own. ViperDoc was having problems so he was manually limiting the amps to see if it made any difference.

Here in the East Nissan has used chargers from more than one manufacturer. I think some work better than others.

2.0 received firmware 4.6.5 last month. Charges nicely on AeroViron__ chargers at Nissan dealer. Tried 2 of the 4 they have. But, as usual, they are hooked up to 208 volt leg of 3-phase, so charging takes ~15% longer. After driving 160 miles it took 6+ hours to get up to 183 miles ideal range, not 'full' but enough for the trip back. With some extra for headlights, and as it turned out, 50 miles of wiper use & a bit of heat as well. Switched modes from Standard to Range for the drive back, arriving with most of the bottom 10% SOC remaining. Never drove any distance with lights, wipers or heater before, so am pleased at the slight impact they seem to have.

These AeroViron__ chargers seem small & lightweight. Reportedly are for sale @ Lowes for ~750-US. Could be they are all solid state (no expensive contactor). Would appear to be a nice deal as they output 30 Amps @ 240 volts same as the larger more expensive units.
--

< These AeroViron__ chargers seem small & lightweight. Reportedly are for sale @ Lowes for ~750-US.

Update: Amazon has them for sale @$999-US (down from $1050-). Looks the same as the ones at Nissan dealer, just more green on the front. 30A @ 240 VAC. 25 foot cord. Unit itself w/o cord weighs 10pounds. Tempted to put in trunk with long 50 amp cord for RV Park use (leave Neutral unconnected). Pretty sure this unit will fit in Roadster trunk; my Clipper Creek CS-40 is too cumbersome to even consider doing so.
--

< These AeroViron__ chargers seem small & lightweight. Reportedly are for sale @ Lowes for ~750-US.

Update: Amazon has them for sale @$999-US (down from $1050-). Looks the same as the ones at Nissan dealer, just more green on the front. 30A @ 240 VAC. 25 foot cord. Unit itself w/o cord weighs 10pounds. Tempted to put in trunk with long 50 amp cord for RV Park use (leave Neutral unconnected). Pretty sure this unit will fit in Roadster trunk; my Clipper Creek CS-40 is too cumbersome to even consider doing so.
--

Any chance you have a UMC already? You could charge at 40A that way.

Last edited:
> you have a UMC already?

My Roadster came with just the Basic Cable. The CAN should be in every Roadster trunk. ModelS comes with a UMC. Thus the case for getting an AeroV charger, assuming it will prove to be bullet-proof.
--