Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

backing up camera feature suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

felixtb

RsEU502,Sp+14274,XpEUSig4
Jan 14, 2011
Lausanne, CH
having seen some of the videos from the test drives I am struck by the lack of guide lines for the backing up camera. most European cars I have been driving for the past ten years with backing up cameras, all have side and rear guide lines so you actually know when you back up if your trajectory would make you back into something, like a parked car or a lamp post or similar. this is a great aide and makes backing up with the camera a breeze. on the roadster there is no such thing since it is an aftermarket system that has been slightly tesla:ized. that system is pretty useless to use as a backing up camera and is more decorative than anything else. I am wondering why tesla seems to have missed this opportunity, specially since Elon has a Q7 which has an EXCELENT backing up camera with guides that follow the steering movement. ................!? this should only be a software problem and should be able to be implemented with no other modifications than that

I never understood sensors because I use the camera. Are they more for like if you are backing out and someone is coming so you know to pull forward? Infiniti has surround cameras on the EX so you can see all around the car.
112_0712_13z+2008_infiniti_ex35+back_up_camera_view.jpg

Audi
ag_07a6avant_backupcam.jpg

I never understood sensors because I use the camera. Are they more for like if you are backing out and someone is coming so you know to pull forward? Infiniti has surround cameras on the EX so you can see all around the car.

I use both just because that's what I'm used to from previous cars (that didn't have the camera). I actually miss not having the prox sensors on the front, not sure Audi offer it, but I always had them on various Mercedes. Given the choice, I'd take the camera, it's more useful, and the S is a bit chunky (in a good way).

... especially if it "zoomed out" at highway speeds so that I had a birds-eye view of the traffic around me.

I see a small camera equipped drone 30 feet above the car and a small microwave dish* integrated in the roof of the car that beams power to the drone. Using the cam feed from the drone your car can easily optimize lane changes to weave through traffic.

"It's way better than what everybody thinks it is" - someone once said.

It's there, i saw it on one car but don't remember which one. You can turn it on or off, same as the Roadster.

nigelM how do you turn it on/off in the roadster??? I have never seen nor heard of this possibility in the roadster. since the alpine is an aftermarket unit with tesla graphics I did not think the steering sensors were there nor the rest of the soft and hardware needed........ please tell me how to change to this prefered view.

thanks

nigelM how do you turn it on/off in the roadster??? I have never seen nor heard of this possibility in the roadster. since the alpine is an aftermarket unit with tesla graphics I did not think the steering sensors were there nor the rest of the soft and hardware needed........ please tell me how to change to this prefered view.

thanks

I'll have to check my car again but under 'source' I believe you pick the camera icon at the bottom. It takes over the entire screen so you can't see your Nav...etc
Here's a picture:
Customer Image Gallery for INA-W900BT - Alpine 7" Touchscreen GPS Navigation + Plays DVD/CD Video MP3 WMA AAC

It's the center-right icon of the car at the bottom of the screen.

Last edited:

thanks

Felix. It depends on the Alpine model. Mine has a guide on/off button visible when the reversing camera is shown. Other Alpine units don't have such a feature. It depends on when and where you got the roadster.

I've never heard of a roadster alpine with reversing guide that moves with the steering wheel. As you say, no such sensors.

Felix. I've never heard of a roadster alpine with reversing guide that moves with the steering wheel. As you say, no such sensors.

OK so its as i eluded to, more or less gimmick rather than real help and only on some models. I will check mine when I get back home..... anyway with the S and subsequent models they have their own systems and should be able to incorporate this into the car as a feature. they do constantly preach that they want to make the best cars out there electric or not. so these are the details they need. the label of "the best car" is always in the small elegant and thought out details and not in the overall picture.......!

Mine is as Mark described. Sorry, I had assumed that all the Alpine units had it, which is possibly not the case. It's not steering controlled but I've never seen a one that is until I googled it. That said, I think it's much more than a gimmick and I really find it useful for reversing.

OK so its as i eluded to, more or less gimmick rather than real help

Not a gimmick for me. It takes some time to get it adjusted right, and learn it, but I find it works really well. Particularly from a distance point of view.

I've used the ones with steering wheel input, and they too were very helpful. But, you have to sit back and trust them, which is a leap of faith.

Mine is as Mark described. Sorry, I had assumed that all the Alpine units had it, which is possibly not the case. It's not steering controlled but I've never seen a one that is until I googled it. That said, I think it's much more than a gimmick and I really find it useful for reversing.

Indeed, such a feature is extremely useful when well implemented. I have been driving an Infinity G37x with steering controlled guide lines for two tears, and really miss them when using a different vehicle.

Given that this is essentially a software feature, I hope Tesla nails this (and the Get Amped grapevine seemed to be suggesting that it would be in the next major software update for the S - can't find the post where I read this now...).