Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tax incentives/rebates in Canada

Tax incentives/rebates in Canada

I was looking through some incentive threads and I see BC, Ontario, and Quebec all with decent incentives. In Manitoba, even our overspending, bloated NDP government does nothing. Is there any way I can take advantage of other provinces' programs apart from moving there? In MB we have to pay PST when we insure a new vehicle, so I can't even buy it in Alberta...

Have someone buy it for you in another province and then sell it to you used, at a discount?

Or move to Albetera

CDN P#40
    In Québec, corporations are also eligible for the $8000 discount.

Setting up a corporation by yourself, online, is pretty cheap (200-300), or about $1000, if you go with a shelf corporation, though an accountant.
    Then, it will cost you the annual income report, the time to respond to all the quarterly tax reports, and the pleasure of working with/for Revenu Quebec.

I am still debating with myself, to decide if I will buy it thru my corporation or personally.

They recently added the eligibility for the 1000$ charger rebate for corporations too. So the incentives are now about the same.

CDN P#40
    Quote Originally Posted by tomanik View Post
    Have someone buy it for you in another province and then sell it to you used, at a discount?
    This would not work in Quebec...

From Applicant Guide : http://www.vehiculeselectriques.gouv...cant-guide.pdf

2.3 Ineligible vehicles
    The following vehicles are not eligible for the program:
    • Vehicles previously registered outside Québec.
    • Vehicles that have been purchased for the purposes of resale or long-term leasing
    • Vehicles converted to electric drive.
    • Vehicles for which a tax credit for the purchase of a green vehicle has already been granted

3. LIMITATIONS
    The all-electric or plug-in hybrid vehicle purchased or leased
    must remain registered in the province of Québec for a period
    of not less than:
    • twelve months for applicants who acquire up to two
    electric vehicles in the same year;
    • thirty-six months for applicants who acquire three or
    more vehicles in the same year.

Items for Sale
    Like I have said before, it's pathetic and disgusting that in Canada, there is (a) no federal rebate plan or HST exemption on all EV's and (b) there are import duties on EV's.

Time for the clowns at the Federal and Provincial level to wake up!
    Member Southern Ontario Tesla Owners Club

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaff View Post
    Like I have said before, it's pathetic and disgusting that in Canada, there is (a) no federal rebate plan or HST exemption on all EV's and (b) there are import duties on EV's.

Time for the clowns at the Federal and Provincial level to wake up!
    Agreed; however, it's pretty clear that Prime Minister Stephen Harper is an avid anti-environmentalist. I don't expect anything to happen while he is in power.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    Agreed; however, it's pretty clear that Prime Minister Stephen Harper is an avid anti-environmentalist. I don't expect anything to happen while he is in power.
    The thing is, I have NDP in power in Manitoba and they call themselves environmentalists but have nothing for EV's, too! Manitoba should be leading the provinces in electrification since we have over 99% hydro generation (a smidgen is bought from other provinces/states in off-peak hours; and I know Quebec is another excellent hydro province, they have good reason for programs, too). We all are used to plugging in our vehicles for 8 months of the year, and the infrastructure would be easy to upgrade here. They are still so backwards they encourage compact fluorescents instead of LED's. But that's what happens when governments fall asleep at the wheel. No photovoltaic programs here either, but I guess I just tend to be well ahead of my government (and I put in geothermal for my house several years before they started programs for that, too).

I feel the same here in Saskatchewan with the Sask Party. I thought I'd be able to take advantage of Ontario's $8500 rebate since I'd be getting the car through the Toronto store; Nope, to qualify I'd have to register and plate it there. So I currently get nada.

The SP only seem to care about "growth" and if you ask me, they won't be satisfied until we're as densely populated as China here.

Hey, welcome to the forum, Mayhem! It's good to see more prairie folk here. I'm trying hard to get the word out, and if there are enough reservations in between Toronto and Vancouver I hope Tesla will put a store within 250 miles of me!

CDN Sig 2114, P85D order Jgdixon's Avatar
    Anyone know how long it takes the Ontario Government to actually send out the rebate?

Thread Information