Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ants and Electricity

Ants and Electricity

I am a worrier/thinker and have had problems with ants and electricity in the past. Those little PITAs would find their way into the points of our well pump pressure switches at the ranch and short out the entire system. We would have to periodically pour Sevin dust around the post that held the points box and try our best at sealing the box with silicone to keep them out. I don't know why ants have an affinity for electricity....but they do.

I don't think that ants would climb past the rubber tires to get into electrical components of the Model S but wanted to throw this topic out for discussion. Do you think we should be concerned about this?
    "These go to eleven..."

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    I've never heard of ants being a problem in the Prius from the forums that I've followed for many years now (rodents yes) so I'm not particularly concerned that ants will find the Model S attractive. I think the problem with wells is that ants are also looking for water and so they are around the electrical parts. There are a lot of ants here in Texas and every so often there is an ant invasion in my house that goes right past the 2001 Prius. So far they have never bothered the Prius or the 6 KVA UPS that they also go past.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Blog Entries
    I have plenty of ants on the property here and I've never had a problem with them on or near the Roadster. But I do have to routinely deal with them colonizing a breaker box halfway down the drive. I've always assumed it's because it's dark and protected.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    The ants around my house also seem to like the non-electrical mailbox.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

S VIN S1049, X Resv S744
    Ants can sense electricity and are attracted to it. During this year's droughts, I've had to replace three different light switches that our lovely mini-ants climbed into and shorted out. Turning on the switch results in an arc internal to the switch and then it's done until I purchase a new one!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    The ants around my house also seem to like the non-electrical mailbox.
    That's reserved for wasp nests here. They put up a 'No Ants Allowed' sign quite awhile ago.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by STxTesla View Post
    ...Those little PITAs would find their way into the points of our well pump pressure switches at the ranch and short out the entire system...
    Is there moisture around that switch? Like most creatures, I think they want to find a supply of water. Sometimes a pipe with slightly colder than ambient temp fluid flowing through it causes condensation that they like.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

No....no moisture around the points...they just love to congregate there and short out the box.
    I have always seen/heard of ants being attracted to electricity. I was worried about them finding the charge port on the Tesla
    while it is charging and shorting something out.

The Prius vehicles to date have not had the ability to charge the battery from an outside source.
    "These go to eleven..."

Never any ant problem with the old Ford RangerEV, or LEAF.

Now, inside the house where my son spilled some soda...
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

Quote Originally Posted by STxTesla View Post
    No....no moisture around the points...they just love to congregate there and short out the box.
    I have always seen/heard of ants being attracted to electricity. I was worried about them finding the charge port on the Tesla
    while it is charging and shorting something out.

The Prius vehicles to date have not had the ability to charge the battery from an outside source.
    Have not really heard of this being a problem with any of the battery electric vehicles to date, including the Leaf, the Volt, the MiEV, or the plug in Prius.
    Parents' Model S: P#11095, reserved 8/8/12, delivered 3/27/13 silver 60 kWh, black leather/lacewood, 19 inch wheels, pano roof, air suspension, tech package, sound upgrade, child seats, paint armor
    Our Model X: P#1261, reserved 7/20/12

Thread Information