Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav System: A brief look

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I had a chance to play around a bit with the nav system on one of the cars at Menlo Park the other day, and I shot a brief little video. This doesn't show entering the destination, which is really a great experience. I entered the address of my office by simply typing the street number and name, and the car auto-completed several options in nearby cities, one of which was correct. I tapped that one to set the destination, and the map slid in next to the speedometer.

It's a really, really nice nav system. I look forward to trying it out on the road, to see if it provides enough warning of turns to get into the proper lane and so on. But it's certainly head and shoulders above anything else I've used in a vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
The nav system on the 17" looks like online standard map to me. I doubt the Navigon offline version would have Google's watermark on the bottom right.

And yet, it had turn by turn guidance with the upcoming turn up by the speedo. My suspicion is that this is still unfinished, especially the offline part. It's already better than my Garmin. I agree that the tiles need to be faster, though.

The system needs to be be "smart" and predict where you are going next (easy if you have a destination entered, a bit more tricky when you are driving "freely") so that it loads tiles in priority, for example following the road you are on. For those of you who have test driven; does it behave like this?

And yet, it had turn by turn guidance with the upcoming turn up by the speedo. My suspicion is that this is still unfinished, especially the offline part. It's already better than my Garmin. I agree that the tiles need to be faster, though.

What part of "the nav system on the 17" " do you not understand? I was speaking of that, not the navigation displayed in the speedometer. It should be common knowledge among TMC members by now that both the speedometer and the 17" operate independently. It's possible for the nav software in the speedo to be the offline Navigon and the 17" to be the online Google maps version.

What part of "the nav system on the 17" " do you not understand? I was speaking of that, not the navigation displayed in the speedometer. It should be common knowledge among TMC members by now that both the speedometer and the 17" operate independently. It's possible for the nav software in the speedo to be the offline Navigon and the 17" to be the online Google maps version.

There's no call for such a rude tone.

Let me explain more clearly. We've been told that the display next to the speedo is only available with the tech package, with the turn by turn guidance. We've been told that the tech package includes offline maps. The car I photographed had turn by turn guidance with the display in the speedo. It also displayed a list of turns and volume controls for the spoken directions on the 17" display. And yet, it appeared to be using online tiles. Therefore, my suspicion that the offline maps are unfinished.

We've been told that the display next to the speedo is only available with the tech package, with the turn by turn guidance. We've been told that the tech package includes offline maps. The car I photographed had turn by turn guidance with the display in the speedo. It also displayed a list of turns and volume controls for the spoken directions on the 17" display. And yet, it appeared to be using online tiles. Therefore, my suspicion that the offline maps are unfinished.

Yeah, I was told just yesterday over the phone that GPS was NOT included w/o the tech package. Has anyone heard the same thing? If that is then I must get the tech package since I love the view of Google maps where it shows the car moving on the map (not sure why, but this strikes me as ultracool)

P.S. Forums demand thick skin for the long haul, but generally the good outweighs the bad. This forum is just about the best though as it's moderated quite well.

Disco ducky you have to get tech for any gps. Otherwise you get google maps, but it will be iPhone style with directions, not turn by turn, same as on a pc.

Be careful. We cannot assume Model S without the tech package will come with an iPhone style Google Maps app.

Google Maps app on the iPhone or Android phone relies on the device's internal GPS to pinpoint which area map to bring up and to pinpoint your location on the map. Without a GPS this is impossible. Rod and Barbara who have received their Model S have posted on the Tesla forum that the only way to get Google Maps on their Model S is through the Internet just like on your PC and that your location is not pinpointed.

I specifically emailed my rep about this and received the same response as Discoducky, that there would be no GPS without the tech package. If that is truly the case when all the dust settles there can be no iPhone or Android phone style Google Maps app. Because every Model S has a giant iPad-like 17" display we take it for granted that all will have an internal GPS like any iPad or smartphone. But Tesla is currently saying no.

I now drive a Leaf which comes standard with an outstanding navigation system. I live on an island where I could hardly get lost if I tried so I do not use the system for navigation. However, I have used it many times to locate public charging stations in my vicinity when running low on charge. Based on my experience it is my strong opinion that all electric cars should have a basic navigation system to locate public charging stations in their vicinity.

Recargo and PlugShare apps are sufficient but they use the internal GPS feature of the smartphone to pinpoint your location. If a Model S driver leaves their smart phone at home, runs low on charge in an unusual place and has not spent $3,750 on the tech package, they could be in serious trouble. I don't think we can assume this scenario could only happen to an idiot or that it might happen with a Leaf but never a Model S.

What do you think? Should Model S without the tech package have a basic navigation feature to pinpoint public charging stations in its vicinity?

Last edited:
FYI, I use Navigon on my iPhone - it usually lets you load in the entire US, or just states you're interested in (to save memory).

I would assume that Navigon running on the S will be very similar - and that makes me very happy, as I've used several GPS nav apps, and like Navigon the best.

And, yes, I'm getting the Tech package. I've been in enough areas with crappy cell phone reception to know that I want something better than what Google maps can give me.

Doug

#10,751 - next year can't get here soon enough!

I'm a little surprised if the basic car can't basically do what the iPhone can do in terms of locating itself on the Google map. I can understand that the turn-by-turn would be limited to the tech package, but I do think you should at least be able to find yourself.

Doesn't directly affect me -- I have never considered buying the car without the tech package -- but I would like to see some good base level functionality for everybody.

It's unfortunate that the cars ship with 3G instead of LTE. I know LTE wasn't widespread when the R&D was done, but it seems like the S could use the faster connection speeds.

I would like to see the system "loaded up" also. Moving map with turn by turn directions, Kids connected to WiFi and gaming in the back seat, Phone call on hands free, music streaming. That's a lot of stuff all at once! Can it handle it??