Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washington State HB 2106 – HOV access for Plug-in Electric Vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

v12 to 12v

Jul 10, 2012
I contacted both of my 22nd district congressmen (Reps. Chris Reykdal and Sam Hunt) regarding HB 2106-2011-12. These are their responses:

Thank you for the email in support of HB 2106, which would authorize plug-in vehicles to use HOV lanes regardless of vehicle occupancy. This bill was introduced in the 2011 session, however it was not scheduled for a hearing in the Transportation Committee and was not considered in 2011 or 2012. The Legislature adjourned in April and does not reconvene until January 2013. It is not until this time that new legislation can be considered. Anything introduced in the previous biennium does not carry forward, so this legislation would have to be re-introduced. If it is re-introduced, I would likely support it.

Sincerely,

Rep. Sam Hunt

This is a great topic! I haven't followed the regulation in other states but will certainly keep my eyes open. Clearly this would be a huge incentive for electric vehicle drivers and would add important support to our state's fleet conversion. It is probably a very good early-stage incentive. Of course, long-term if everybody were driving electric vehicles, we would take 50% of carbon emissions out of the air (very good outcome), but do nothing to address congestion (bad outcome). So somehow our policy still needs to add further incentive for dual occupancy vehicles. I struggle a bit still with allowing motorcycles. Of course, they are very fuel efficient but they rarely get a second car off the road and their impact to insurance costs are disproportionate. A tough trade-off.

Thanks for the heads up. Let's stay in touch as this issue gets more traction.

Chris

So it looks like this legislation needs to be reintroduced in 2013.

I contacted both of my 22nd district congressmen (Reps. Chris Reykdal and Sam Hunt) regarding HB 2106-2011-12.

Good job Odenator. Maybe your Representative, Chris Reykdal will re-introduce the bill. I believe he is on the transporation committee.

That was an interesting comment about motorcycles though. A court ruled some time ago that you can drive any vehicle in HOV lane if you are pregnant.:confused:
I certainly hope they closed that loophole.