Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Closing the Frunk/Trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read in this thread that one has to push down on the frunk to latch it. I assumed that the frunk and trunk both were auto-open AND close with the press of the fob/touchscreen. Can anyone who has tested a recent model please verify one way or the other?

The rear trunk is fully automatic, and can be opened/closed fully remotely from the panel or the key fob or the button on the trunk itself.

The frunk can be unlatched with the panel or key fob, but must be lifted manually, and must be closed and latched manually.

I dropped by Menlo Park on my way to work this morning, and tested out the frunk on the Green car that has been at many Get Amped events. (115?) I wanted to see if it would latch if you allowed it to free-fall, because I figured pressing the frunk closed was a great way to put fingerprints all over the front of the car.

It does not latch if you lower it to the point where it wants to fall, and let go. You have to press down to latch. It doesn't require much pressure, but you do have to push it down.

I dropped by Menlo Park on my way to work this morning, and tested out the frunk on the Green car that has been at many Get Amped events. (115?) I wanted to see if it would latch if you allowed it to free-fall, because I figured pressing the frunk closed was a great way to put fingerprints all over the front of the car.

It does not latch if you lower it to the point where it wants to fall, and let go. You have to press down to latch. It doesn't require much pressure, but you do have to push it down.

With Paint Armor, you shouldn't get any fingerprints. I've had that done on my last 3 cars and I never see fingerprints when I open and close the hoods.

I read in this thread that one has to push down on the frunk to latch it. I assumed that the frunk and trunk both were auto-open AND close with the press of the fob/touchscreen. Can anyone who has tested a recent model please verify one way or the other?

Front hoods (bonnets for you brits/aussies) (Frunks included) are required to have a secondary, safety latch which must be released by hand. This must be so, given that if you happen to be travelling at 65 mph on the freeway, and you inadvertently hit the frunk button, it doesn't open and then rip the hood/bonnet off. It makes perfect sense. No need to verify anything.

The secondary latch is definately required for safety. However most automobile hoods will close, and latch both latches, if you just drop them from 6-12 inches. This would be a desireable future refinement for the Model S.

GSP

The Front hood is extremely pliable when pushed on. You have to be very careful when doing the final push to close, as the front hood warps very easily. Perhaps there is an easier way than pushing down firmly on the hood cover?