Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong Model S Pricing

Hong Kong Model S Pricing

Happy to see the Canadian pricing has been released as base + local mods + duties + shipping x exchange rate average. I had heard rumors of this, and it is fantastic to see the first international pricing come out.

By comparison, for the Roadster, here in Hong Kong we were hit with +20% above US prices (no tax or import duties for EVs here). Other EVs are marked up 30%+. Seeing the Canadian prices really gives me hope that Tesla will keep things reasonable.

A base Model S here for HK$500k would be cool and really help adoption. Leafs are HK$418k, by comparison.
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

Oh..Good to hear that!

Leaf is a nice little EV but with a whopping price tag of HK$418k!! OMG!!

The way I see it, if you're gonna switch to EV and help save our planet, why not do it with some style?

If Tesla HK get their pricing strategy right, and the Government get their act together to push for more EV support, Model S would be a big hit here, it fits so well in HK. (I'm a bit worried about Model X's gull wing...)

I do agree the Nissan Leaf in Hong Kong is way too overpriced. I have test drive it in Science Park. It is a good car I have to admit but I immediately lost my interest when I heard the price tag.

We've got no import tax for EV so I think it is the dealer who set the price too aggressively.

I think Model S would be very successful in Hong Kong but I cannot afford one at the moment. I've bought a few hundred shares of TSLA thru...

Another worry I have about the car for Hong Kong is its sheer size. This is a big car, and our car parks and parking spaces are relatively small.

Same concern for the Model X with its falcon doors - car parks here have 1.8m ceilings.

Is the size of the car an issue for other Hong Kong buyers?

Hi markwj - at 77 inches wide, it's wider than the Alphard and S-class! The only car that's comparable is the ginormous Q7, and not many car parks can accept that here...
    Hong Kong #100 | 60kWh | Brown | 19" | Coils | Tech Package | Parking Sensors | Textile seats | Piano Black trim

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Hi markwj - at 77 inches wide, it's wider than the Alphard and S-class! The only car that's comparable is the ginormous Q7, and not many car parks can accept that here...
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    I checked against my wife's Nissan 7 seater, which the S will replace for us.

S is 77.3" wide, 196.0" long. Mirrors add 4.45" each side. Turning circle is 37'.
    Nissan is 73.5" wide, 198.5" long. Mirrors add 5.5" each side (auto-folding). Turning circle is 38.5'.
    Alphard is 74.5" wide, 198" long. Turning circle is 38.5'.
    Q7 is 78.1" wide, 200.3" long. Turning circle is 39.4'.

Not sure how much difference that extra 4" is going to make. The auto-folding mirrors will be an issue. Turning circle looks good, and that will help.
    PLEASE NOTE:

I am driving a Hyundai H1 which is 75.6" wide already gives me lots of trouble entering some of the Car Park in Hong Kong. I would not consider buying it if it is 77.3". I would re-consider if the Model S comes with a 360 degree all view camera for me to park. I think I would wait for the smaller Gen III car which fits me better. I would love to see a four seater Coupe version of it!

Now that we have European and Canadian pricing, I did some projections for Hong Kong.

Just projections, but based on an exchange rate of HK$7.85 to US$1.00 (worst case - the high end of the peg), US$4,000 for freight (based on what we know of the roadster, plus a bit for the size of this car), US$150 for registration documents, and -US$2,500 early bird discount (from new pricing), I get:

Base 40kWh (if offered): HK$483,168
    Base 60kWh: HK$530,268
    Base 85kWh: HK$607,590

Options would be just US price x 7.85.

Bringing in the base 40kWh Model S at under HK$500k would be an amazing psychological price point (like the <US$50k base price in USA).

My config:
    - 60kWh base: HK$530,268
    - Panaromic Sunroof: HK$11,775
    - Nappa Leather: HK$11,775
    - Tech Package: HK$29,438
    - Active Air Suspension: HK$11,775
    - Rear Facing Seats: HK$11,775
    for a total of HK$606,805.

For anyone that wants to play with the numbers themselves, the spreadsheet I used is up at:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12782349/Ho...ojections.xlsx
    Last edited by markwj; 2012-12-26 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Add spreadsheet link

Quote Originally Posted by markwj View Post
    Another worry I have about the car for Hong Kong is its sheer size. This is a big car, and our car parks and parking spaces are relatively small.

Same concern for the Model X with its falcon doors - car parks here have 1.8m ceilings.

Is the size of the car an issue for other Hong Kong buyers?
    I am doing a research on the car parks where I usually drop by. When I saw an X6/Q7 I suppose the MS would be fine. I still do not have 100% confidence handling big car of this size. Yes the size will definitely an issue: I am afraid garage of mine can hardly fit the MS nicely.

Thread Information