Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection film: does it help fingerprints?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

In thinking about my color choice, one factor is the paint protection film. I wouldn't get it on the white, but it seems to be very discreet on the dark colors like the blue or the green.

I was wondering, for those who have experience with these films: does it do anything to reduce fingerprints?

As I was reviewing my videos from this past weekend, I realized that closing the frunk basically involves having to press down on the front of the lid to make it latch, which might result in some pretty obvious fingerprints right there on the front of the car. If the film is less prone to showing prints, that would be a point in its favor (and in favor of the dark color generally, since the doors and the trunk have handles or power opening...)

I dropped by Menlo Park on my way to work today, hoping to see the white car again. Instead, I got to see the Green and the Silver. Both had the paint protection on them. To things surprised me:

1) The paint protection film showed fingerprints more readily than the green paint!
2) The paint protection looks great on silver.

Having seen it on white, I was expecting the film to have similar problems on silver, but it really doesn't. I did notice that a few edges were a little dark where dirt had collected, so that might need a little TLC from time to time. But I initially thought Tesla had peeled the film off the front of the car. Then I got up close and realized that it was still there. The yellowing that's obvious already on the white cars was not in evidence, except very slightly on the piece right in front of the rear wheels, where you could see that the silver was a little darker.

Honestly, this silver car looked so good that I think it's the color I'm going to get! The dark colors show blemishes too easily (fingerprints, dust, etc), the plain white, although I like it, doesn't have the depth of the silver. And the pearl white has the issues of repairability that pearl whites have, plus the paint armor doesn't look good on it (at least not the partial-coverage type Tesla is using). So.

I can't decide if I should do full body wrap on white. I see R8s do it. I think it's around 2500-3500

An option instead of the full body would be to do full hood and front fenders, so no lines. OTOH, I think the film at the rear edges of the doors is likely to be useful too, and so that will be problematic on the white paint unless you do the whole door.

My kingdom for a hood!

Hello all,
I feel the kit for the clear coat paint armor should be available as an option to cover the entire hood. I know it is noticeable in the lighter colors, but unless you do a spectacular wax job, that line is noticeable on the dark colors as well. Wouldn't it be easier to just offer coverage for the entire hood and be done with it? Below is the most comprehensive article I have read on the Internet regarding the clear coat paint armor.

Clear Bra - Paint Protection Film (or Protecting your car against paint chips) : Rogue Forum

I have read that some people don't care if that line is there because other people will most likely not notice it. The problem is not other people. It's that if I notice it, then I will never stop noticing it. That, along with many other issues that occur when you only cover half your hood; like the orange peel effect, the two tone color on the hood when u peel it back, etc. What's the point of covering against damage in the very front of your hood, if you still have to repaint the hood when you take the armor off 5 years later?

Does anyone else have similar thoughts or concerns? I wish I could take a poll but I don't know how to do that.
Thanks. :smile:

On my Corvette, Roadster, and the wife's Jeep Liberty I've had partial hood wraps and it just doesn't bother me. I made the choice to get the wrap to protect the paint and there's a visual cost to that. There is no free lunch as they say. You could always get just the hood done in the aftermarket.

On my Corvette, Roadster, and the wife's Jeep Liberty I've had partial hood wraps and it just doesn't bother me. I made the choice to get the wrap to protect the paint and there's a visual cost to that. There is no free lunch as they say. You could always get just the hood done in the aftermarket.

I hear ya. I just wish they had the option. It doesnt bother some people, but it does others. It would definitely be something I would pay for. No brainier for me.