Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great insideline track test preview of performance model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

josh

Nov 17, 2008
2012 Tesla Model S Track Test

This is pretty exciting to me. My experience as an early Roadster owner is that the actual "car guy" perception of the Roadster was falling quite short of the expectations Tesla set, and consequently I was not an early member of the Model S reservation list. When I saw the first reviews and saw it seemed (preliminarily) to meet or exceed expectations, I got excited again.

This is the first real performance testing I have seen, short of Dan Neil's anecdotal excitement, so I'm glad to see the car meeting the stated performance metrics (which my Roadster definitely did not).

Can't wait for my Model S!

Last edited:
oooh, nice. like to see that, good find!

can anyone out there compare the braking and skid pad specs to some known competitors?

Sure... Hopefully the formatting isn't horrible...

Porsche Panamera Turbo S, Cadillac CTS-V, Model S

30-0 (ft): 29, 27, 27
60-0 (ft): 112, 104, 108
Skid pad lateral accel (g): 0.96, 0.89, 0.86
Slalom 68.9, 69.2, 66.8

From: IL Track Tested: Porsche Panamera Turbo S vs Cadillac CTS-V

I was just looking at the results with TC on vs. off.

In all the tests the times are the same or better with TC on! (Slalom improved by 0.8mph with TC on).

Tesla definitely has the best TC out there!

This is an interesting tidbit...

From the Panamera Turbo S:

0-60 (sec): 3.7 (4.4 w/TC on)
0-60 with 1-ft Rollout (sec): 3.5 (4.0 w/TC on)

Identical times to the model S if you leave TC on with the Porsche!

I had hoped that it would do better than .86 on the skidpad with the low center of gravity. .86 is good, but I was hoping for better. I guess the total weight has a price here also. These are the first numbers I have seen for the skidpad rating.

I had hoped that it would do better than .86 on the skidpad with the low center of gravity. .86 is good, but I was hoping for better. I guess the total weight has a price here also. These are the first numbers I have seen for the skidpad rating.

I'll bet a set of stickier tires could get it close to .90. And I'd like to see some others give it their skid pad tests too.

Re: why does performance degrade on repeated passes?

Hypothesis based on my Roadster experience: the all the hardware that sits between the batteries and the electric motors generates heat in the process, and one of the big drivetrain challenges is keeping those parts cool -- as they get hotter, performance degrades. Repeated flogging of the gas pedal overwhelms the system's ability to remain at peak performance.

At the most recent Palo Alto event, one of the Tesla folks commented that they could tell the driver of the Grey Performance car had had a fun drive, because the lower air vents were open and the fans were running upon his/her return. So, my guess is like Josh's: perhaps the car is working to keep temperatures within an allowable range by limiting the current delivery slightly.

What could be better than this!

:D

Dan Edmunds ‏@Edmunds_Test
This AM: we tested a Tesla Model S at Auto Club Speedway. This PM: I had my home inspected for an electric car charger. Twitter / Edmunds_Test: This AM: we tested a Tesla ...

I guess if Bill Ford tweeted something similar.

However I gotta ditto on the skidpad disappointment, I was expecting 1g given the design and test drive reports. Not changing my mind though...