Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Fisker Fires

Well, the plus for Fisker is that it seems many of the buyers are in it for looks and exclusivity (similar to ferrari), so issues like these aren't a deterrent (I remember reading one person saying if the car broke down they'd have it towed to a bar and use it to pick up chicks)

Quote Originally Posted by AnOutsider View Post
    it seems many of the buyers are in it for looks and exclusivity (similar to ferrari)
    And there are more than enough pics of Ferrari and Lamborghini bursting into flames - still that doesn't stop people from seeing them as "dream cars" and buying them. Perhaps it is a perverted status symbol? "Look, I am so rich, I can afford a $100k vehicle that consumes itself in fire within weeks!"

Fisker has gas.
    The world loves to be deceived.

Quote Originally Posted by VolkerP View Post
    And there are more than enough pics of Ferrari and Lamborghini bursting into flames - still that doesn't stop people from seeing them as "dream cars" and buying them. Perhaps it is a perverted status symbol? "Look, I am so rich, I can afford a $100k vehicle that consumes itself in fire within weeks!"
    haha...hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    Regardless of exactly why this fire occurred, Tesla and every other EV manufacturer should be worried. My CFO sent me the Autoweek article, and he's clearly thinking "those crazy EVs, see how dangerous they are?"
    You need to reply to your CFO that the Karma is NOT an EV. It has a big tank full of highly flammable liquid. EV's don't burst into flames. Yes, the battery on a crashed Volt did ignite but crashed ICEs ignite ALL THE TIME so this is not unique to EVs.
    Twilight Blue Roadster 2.5 - #1098 / Grey Model S Performance - #1459

Blog Entries
    Name:  car fire.png
Views: 331
Size:  73.1 KB

(I couldn't resist.)
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by bonnie1194 View Post
    Name:  car fire.png
Views: 331
Size:  73.1 KB

(I couldn't resist.)
    Awesome.

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well not sure how much people have been following this Fisker fire, but the original Autoweek article has been updated, including a statement by they victim's lawyer. He describes how a Fisker "SWAT Team" of investigators descended on his home, hiding the car from public view. And how he got upset after Fisker put out a PR statement that implied he committed fraud.

Name:  Fisker-Karma-fire.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  157.6 KB
    Official claims Fisker Karma to blame in Texas house fire - Autoweek

Local news coverage showing video of the Fisker team hiding the car: Luxury hybrid ruled origin of fire | News - Home

Name:  Karma-fire-01.JPG
Views: 762
Size:  54.9 KB
    Name:  Karma-fire-02.JPG
Views: 1427
Size:  54.8 KB

Finally, an expert's opinion speculating that the fire could have been caused by how the ICE components are shoehorned under the hood.
    Expert: Fisker Karma's engine packaging, not batteries, likely caused fire - Autoweek

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Finally, an expert's opinion speculating that the fire could have been caused by how the ICE components are shoehorned under the hood.
    Expert: Fisker Karma's engine packaging, not batteries, likely caused fire - Autoweek
    That seems most likely to me.

If this is the official conclusion, I will worry about the future of Fisker. Not only is the Karma an underengineered POS, but on top of that they come off as pricks in their customer service.
    Planning on getting a Model S in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    He describes how a Fisker "SWAT Team" of investigators descended on his home, hiding the car from public view. And how he got upset after Fisker put out a PR statement that implied he committed fraud.
    I know they are doing damage control, but putting out that kind of allegation against a customer has got to leave a very bad taste not only for him, but also for existing and potential customers. It doesn't seem necessary to go to those lengths.

One of the commenters (Letstakeawalk) in autobloggreen brought up a comparison with the Tesla bricking incident (he's a known backer of Fisker though and owns stake in the company). Although I don't think that's a fair comparison, since the media coverage of Tesla happened after the investigation was already finished, and I don't believe Tesla implied/accused any customer of something as serious as fraud/malicious intent. They just implied customers with bricked batteries were negligent. Tesla never made any statement specifically about that owner, and the only thing they possibly did was release emails by that owner to the media (which he expected to be confidential for some reason, even though he had forwarded the emails to friends).
    http://green.autoblog.com/2012/05/08...fire-in-texas/
    Because there are tons of crazy people in this world...

Thread Information