Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updates from Palo Alto: Panoramic Roof, Homelink, Nose Cone, More

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings! Well, my feet are sore, I'm a bit sunburned, and probably a bit dehydrated, but I spent a delightful 7.5 hours at the Palo Alto Get Amped event today, and I came back with some photos I thought would be broadly interesting.

I'm going to link to this thread from a number of others, but I thought it might be useful to people to collect them in one place. Here we go!

First: An updated version of the panoramic bar cover. You can see that it has gotten much more svelte and low profile, with the gaps evident for the roller shades. There were a couple of cars at the event that had this revised cross bar, and with the preparation around the headliner for the shades to roll in their tracks:

IMG_0266.JPG

An update for @ddruz on the cup holders. I brought a metal water bottle with me. I believe it would qualify as a "standard 3 inch" bottle, although it actually measures almost exactly 2.75 inches. Here it is in one of the cup holders:

IMG_0261.jpg

The cars on display had Homelink available on the touch screen. It seems like a very nice implementation. There's a small icon at the top of the screen, and tapping it drops a little menu with your programmed HomeLink buttons, plus an option to add more:

IMG_0282.JPG

If you choose the option to add more, you get to this dialog:

IMG_0279.JPG

VINs: Several recent-production cars were in attendance. (I heard somebody say "built last week"):

Pacific Blue: 5YJSA1DP6CFP01201
Black: 5YJSA1DP9CFP01208
Signature Red Performance: D'oh! Sorry, I missed this one.

I'm among those who have been concerned about panel gap & flush on the early cars. I'm happy to say that the panel fit has clearly improved on all of these more recent cars:

IMG_0334.JPG

This may or may not be news, but I didn't realize that you could put the temperature adjustment right onto one of the thumb wheels on the steering wheel and control it from there:

IMG_0263.JPG

I've probably forgotten something. But, hopefully this is interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,614
Please ignore the "attached thumbnail" of the Signature Red. I had originally intended to use that to show improved gap, but the other side of the car didn't look so good, and I'm honestly a bit unsure as to whether that car is among the new production, so I used the black car instead. For some reason, the forum software doesn't want to let me remove that attachment. :(

For sure, the black and blue cars had updated VINs and nicely improved gaps. We were also told that even newer cars looked even better.

Other thing they said was a first for this event was a red car with the solid black roof. And that car also had the final nose cone design. I have pictures of it on my iPad, but for some reason the forum software doesn't show the upload button on iPad.

Other thing they said was a first for this event was a red car with the solid black roof. And that car also had the final nose cone design. I have pictures of it on my iPad, but for some reason the forum software doesn't show the upload button on iPad.

That was the Sunset Red (2013 red). It was actually at the Fremont event as well, so far as I know. The confusing thing is that that car definitely had a different nose, but even the "built last week" cars did not share that nose. It was the only car there that looked this way:

IMG_0273.JPG

@ddruz: The white cars were the same ones we've seen before, unfortunately. My thinking is that a white car with panel gaps similar to the new blue and black cars would look pretty nice. Getting very close to that Santana Row video, but not quite as tight.

@brianman: Okay, here are the VINs. I'm sorry, I think at least one of the black cars was performance, but it was sort of "stealth" performance -- no dark wheels or spoiler. And I'm not sure if it was the one with this VIN or the other. I don't think the blue was Performance, but don't hold me to that.

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

Offtopic: to upload a file from an iPad you have to jailbreak it and get safari upload enabler.

Or use tapatalk. Anywho, thanks for clearing up homelink, I think that's a good implementation (especially if it's easy to hit when driving into your neighborhood). Panel gaps look great now, and I do believe the temperature thing is new!