Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging Hardware now standard on 60kwh Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009

Attachments

• 6014246762.png
    6014246762.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
That's excellent news about the supercharger access.

I'm going to get the 60KWh with only a single charger since that fulfills my 99% solution. I was going to evaluate the supercharger for the other 1% and I was anticipating an added cost of up to $1,500. I am absolutely thrilled.

If the 60kw battery pack ends up with an EPA range of say 203 (based on the 85kw getting 265 not 300), then you might have to knock off another 10% for air conditioning worst case. That would get you down to 182. If the SuperCharge can really add 160 miles in 30 minutes, then you have a one stop driving range of 182+160=342 miles.

That would get you from LA to San Diego easily (even without the SC), and also to Las Vegas with one SC. But maybe not to San Francisco (382 miles). Looking forward to seeing actual drivers report on their adventures when the 60kw cars start being delivered and the SC's up and running. If I can get to San Diego, Las Vegas and San Francisco with one SC on a 60kw battery, that covers 99.9% of all my trips. And it brings the Model S $10,000 closer to my almost being able to afford it :wink:

RT

Rubber toe, sorry to burst your bubble but Tesla has been consistent in saying the Super Charger will give half a charge in 30 minutes. The max for a 60 kWh would be 30 kWh or using your EPA guesstimate an extra 100 miles with a thirty minute charge. This is why we are early adopters. The batteries are better than everyone else's but still not as good or cheap as we want.

Rubber toe, sorry to burst your bubble but Tesla has been consistent in saying the Super Charger will give half a charge in 30 minutes. The max for a 60 kWh would be 30 kWh or using your EPA guesstimate an extra 100 miles with a thirty minute charge. This is why we are early adopters. The batteries are better than everyone else's but still not as good or cheap as we want.

I get 187mi EPA for the 60kWh (265*60/85).

The Supercharger is a 90kW charger, so it can charge the 85kWh battery half way in about 30 minutes. Half of 265mi = 132.5 miles/30 minutes. A 60kWh pack charged at full 90kW will charge at the same rate.

So, single charge EPA range for 60kWh+90kW charging = 187+132.5mi = 319.5mi. This can make the LA to LV trip with range to spare, but not the LA to SF trip.

Otherwise at charging at 60kW (~1C), the 60kWh pack will replenish only half of 187mi = 93.5mi/30min. 187mi+93.5 = 280.5 mi single charge EPA range. You would have literally no miles to spare if you tried to make LA to LV with the 60kWh pack under this case.

For either scenario, the Superchargers would have to be strategically placed, since the top end takes much longer to charge, so you want to use up enough range such that you don't have to top up your battery.

For either scenario, the Superchargers would have to be strategically placed, since the top end takes much longer to charge, so you want to use up enough range such that you don't have to top up your battery.

If it needed to be placed strategically, then I think it would be better to have two Superchargers, and make two shorter stops, instead of just one which stretches things. That then allows more flexibility at the start and at the end of the trip.

Or should it be 265*230/300=203 mi for the 60kWh battery???

My way is assuming you get little to no efficiency gains moving from the 85kWh to 60kWh pack (which would be the case if both used the same number of cells, just ones with different capacity). It's a more conservative number.

Your, Trnsl8r's and Rubber Toe's way is assuming the EPA numbers scale with the "ideal" numbers consistently (with the implicit assumption the efficiency improves significantly for smaller battery sizes).

We won't know which is correct until Tesla releases the numbers (or at least releases curb weight numbers for comparison).

And it suggests that Tesla will ensure that SuperChargers are available, on the supported routes, within the distances necessary for the 60 kWh packs.

You may be correct, but I think you're jumping to conclusions. Tesla gives the example quoting an 85kwh ESS, that doesn't mean for certain that there will be evenly spaced superchargers for a 60kwh ESS to do a cross country road trip.

You may be correct, but I think you're jumping to conclusions. Tesla gives the example quoting an 85kwh ESS, that doesn't mean for certain that there will be evenly spaced superchargers for a 60kwh ESS to do a cross country road trip.

Well, I said "suggests". I agree it doesn't necessarily mean that, yet it becomes more likely than it was before. In any case, they may want to start slowly, perhaps just SF-LA in the beginning as a testbed until there is a sufficient amount of good experience and positive customer feedback to build more in the same way.

When are they planning on announcing the Supercharger network and their locations? And I agree, setting up 3-4 strategically located SC points between SF-LA costs essentially nothing (for a company anyway), and that has got to be one of the highest traveled corridors in the country. They could very well even be subsidized by the local surrounding businesses. Imagine having a captive audience for 30-60 minutes whose average income is above $100,000 per year. Could be some opportunities there...

RT