Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster roadtrip! Sacramento|Portland|Seattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about Saturday morning, September 1st? I'm open to either Beaverton (by Tesla, perhaps) or downtown Portland. You guys decide.

How bout Cheesecake Factory or Starbucks there at the mall? You can charge there at the Tesla parking place (I took pics of the charging spot on this forum), and we can also check out the store there too.

I'll bet a few others will chime in and want to join too.
Looking forward to seeing your Roadster!

I'm contemplating taking delivery at the factory, getting a tour, and then driving home. It would require 3 charging points along the way.

Those of you on the West coast (i.e. Beaverton OR) picking up from the factory can use this map of West-coast HPCs to get your cars home. Focus on the blue pins, which are the 70 HPCs.

Note, though, that while many of the stations around Sacramento and South have been converted to J1772 stations so you can use them with your included J1772 adapter, most of the ones from Orland CA and North (basically everything that Greg would be interested in) still have HPC heads; and they were put in privately by Roadster owners so I don't foresee an effort to change them over. Tesla has talked about providing a way to allow the Model S to charge at those stations, but I haven't seen the solution yet.

Last edited:
Those of you on the West coast (i.e. Beaverton OR) picking up from the factory can use this map of West-coast HPCs to get your cars home. Focus on the blue pins, which are the 70 HPCs.

Note, though, that while many of the stations around Sacramento and South have been converted to J1772 stations so you can use them with your included J1772 adapter, most of the ones from Orland CA and North (basically everything that Greg would be interested in) still have HPC heads; and they were put in privately by Roadster owners so I don't foresee an effort to change them over. Tesla has talked about providing a way to allow the Model S to charge at those stations, but I haven't seen the solution yet.

Yep, ChadS is right. What he doesn't mention is all the helpful notes he's posted for the various 70amp HPCs (along with pics!). That makes my trip so much easier.

Tesla has talked about providing a way to allow the Model S to charge at those stations, but I haven't seen the solution yet.

I have requested one of these Roadster HPC - Model S chargers when I finalized my order. Later, checking with my liaison, he said three had been completed, and mine would be ready when my car was delivered: I figure in a few weeks, so I understand it is available. It is like the J1772 adapter: plugs into S, HPC plug plugs into adapter, short and sweet.

I have requested one of these Roadster HPC - Model S chargers...
Not sure if you were referring to the adapter as a charger, but it is really just a mechanical adapter device.
The electrical signalling and power should be the same, so it is really just a device to get one physical connector shape to fit to the other.

For J1772 to ModelS they have a nice little ("stubby") adapter that is the minimal size.
So far, with Roadster to Model S we have only seen adapter cables that are not as convenient as a one piece adapter would be.
I am not sure if they will just make the cables, or if they will go to the extra effort to make a one piece (more compact) adapter device.
The cables we saw so far have the Roadster/HPC end doing a nearly 90 degree bend, so we suspect they are just using the sockets from the Roadster parts bin.