Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar City and non-Solar City areas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Thought this might be of interest to some.
When you get your "It's time to finalize your order" email there will be a check box asking if you'd like to be contacted by SolarCity for charger installation. I checked "No" because I knew I lived in an area that SolarCity does not serve.

Somewhere along the line I had an email from someone with Tesla in response to a question about when the HPCs would be shipped out so I could coordinate my electrical hookup and such. He asked if I'd checked the above mentioned "Solarcity" box. When I said "no" he asked if I'd like him to contact them for me to see if they would service my area. I said "sure".

So, eventually I got a call from Solar City just making contact and telling me they were working on providing service in my area. Got a couple more calls over the next two weeks when they finally told me that they'd partnered with Mr.Electric to provide charger install service in my area. Mr.Electric called me today and will be coming to do a survey next week.

So, while SolarCity will not be providing service or PV install option, it's still worth ticking that box as they'll help you get in touch with someone to give you an estimate for install of your HPC. I'll report back when I have their estimate...it will be interesting to compare to my 2 prior estimates.

I'll report back when I have their estimate...it will be interesting to compare to my 2 prior estimates.

Could you please update/follow up?

I believe with SolarCity the most cost effective is 20 years prepaid lease deals, when you pay fixed sum upfront and enjoy "free" electricity with no extra charges plus SolarCity providing all repairs/insurance. Plus guarantied performance, a number of kWh that will be produced each year(if it underperforme, THEY pay you).

I believe with SolarCity the most cost effective is 20 years prepaid lease deals, when you pay fixed sum upfront and enjoy "free" electricity with no extra charges plus SolarCity providing all repairs/insurance. Plus guarantied performance, a number of kWh that will be produced each year(if it underperforme, THEY pay you).

If it was really like that, maybe. However, Solar City said it would only cover 40% of my current average electric use (no EV yet) so maybe 30% to 35%, and my electric use isn't that high (max 2.4 kWh per month and that's only for the hottest month). For that they wanted $8K up front. Not counting ROI, that's ten years to pay back and I'd still have an electric bill. Upfront lease needs a five year payback including ROI, so I think it's not quite there yet. If they had a plan, as shown on their website but actually isn't available, where you pay a smaller amount up front (say $3K in my case) and then paid the remaining $5K at zero interest over five years, with no EV, it would look like this:

Current average electric bill: $135 (1500 kWh * $0.09)
Payment to Solar City: $83.33 ($5000/60 months)
Reduction in electricity bill: $54 ($135 * 0.4)
New average electricity bill: $81 ($135 - $54)
New average monthly electricity bills for the first five years: $164.33 ($81 + $83.33)

And then I'd start recovering the $3K at $54 per month--and I'd still have an electric bill to pay.

Basically, whether the Solar City plan is a good deal or not depends on your electricity rates. I'm sure in California it's a no-brainer. Here in Texas it doesn't fly. In a few years when costs have come down 50% then it will work.

Could you please update/follow up?

Sorry I didn't update this sooner.
Solar City is not available in my area. They are contracting with other companies outside of their service areas to do the electrical installation, but as far as I know there's no system to integrate solar installation.

Thank you jerry33 & efusco!

jerry33 : That is a BAD deal indeed! Part of the problem is that Texas do not have Feed-in tariffs law(IIRC). That is why SolarCity playing safe and making sure your system wont overproduce.
$8k for what looks like ~5 kW system is a fair price, as long as you do not have to pay them anything after initial payment... But 9 cents a kWh do not help... Plus price SolarCity offering to customers is dependent on state incentives(they collect them, not you). Thank you once again for real world data! Most data published on internet is from customers who got no brainer deals, it was interesting to look at the other side of medal...